Healthy Condiments

Options
Hey So I am looking for some suggestions of healthy condiments. I eat ketchup, mayo or ranch with almost EVERY meal of the day and I am starting to know it is making my sodium pretty high.. and fat grams I hate mustard so that is not an option.. yuck. I know it is better for you but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some healthier condiments. I know I could cut back but dry food just has a weird texture in my mouth... anyways look forward to any suggestions. P.S I did switch to the mayo with olive oil..

Replies

• invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use "light" mayo or quark, quark is like thick yoghurt/cream which is completely fat free and low calorie, I sometimes put some onion in it and some salt and pepper :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    dijon mustard, no salt seasoning. avocado, hummus, tatziki ...
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Mustards normally have 0 or low calories but hating them makes them useless to you. Avocado is healthy but high calorie, olive oil is the same.

I just use what I want and log it, making it fit my goals.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    plain non fat greek yogurt, non fat ranch dressing (i think it's 20 cals for 2 tablespoons), fat free sour cream, i haven't found a good ketchup substitute but i know they have some low sodium varieties.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use mostly mustard and sometimes kraft low fat bbq sauce. Sort of depends on what I'm seasoning. Sometimes even ranch dressing or HP sauce.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Had salsa on my scrambled eggs w/ cheddar this am. Delishiousnesss!!!!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip has fewer calories and less fat than mayo. It's a different flavor, though, so you might not like it as much.
  • fitcrystal1121
    fitcrystal1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love miracle whip but honestly I always figured it had more calories because it kind of has a sweet taste to it. Thanks
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hate regular mustard but honey mustard is relatively low cal but with a way better taste. Also, sriracha. Sriracha allll day long.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Salsa
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Today, I squeezed lemon, cayenne, pepper, and a little sea salt on my crudités. I like Franks hot sauce on chicken and eggs and hummus, or jalapeño cream cheese or also good for dipping.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ibuy packets of dip mix (you could buy Ranch) and instead of making it with Sour Cream, I make it with Fat Free greek yogurt. You can't really tell the difference.

I also discovered that several brands (Marie's, Bolthouse Farms, Wegman's) make YOGURT based creamy dressings like blue cheese, Caesar, & ranch. They are a FRACTION of the calories and taste good. I use those a lot for my broccoli and cauliflower - plus, I love Caesar salads, but they are full of fat & calories. The yogurt dressings made them a delicious reality again.

Consider Hummus - there are a million varieties and they have protein to boot. Cucumbers are amazing with hummus!

Ooh!! Salsa is delightful on just about anything. I've even used it as a salad dressing before in a pinch.

Finally, I make my own salad dressing... I make it to order, but it is typically 2 TBSP of balsamic vinegar (but any will do), 1 TBSP of water, 1-2 tsp of healthy oil (olive, avocado, etc), 1/2 tsp of granulated stevia (or other sugar sub), and salt, pepper, onion flake, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, or any other stuff I have in my spice cabinet that sounds yummy today. Shake it up and pour it on. The only calories are the oil (well, the vinegar has about 10, but you can burn that shaking the container really well.) :smile:
  • fitcrystal1121
    fitcrystal1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks i will deff look for the yogurt based salad dressings those sound pretty good. & I am a sucker for Ceaser salads too! I make my own salad dressing. I don't know if you have herd of it but its a kick off of the tangy tomato dressing from outback. It says its only 40 cal a tbl spoon. But of course it is ketchup based. I was thinking about trying an organic ketchup but I don't know.. That is the hardest thing to replace for me really is the ketchup.