40's and up

Options

Replies

• golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am feeling your pain. I am 41, 5'4" and I am struggling to lose weight since hitting 40.

I have been lucky enough to have always been a pretty much a normal weight without exercise or counting calories much. In my mid 30s after having two kids I noticed my weight gradually creeping up from my normal 130-135lbs to around 145. I adopted a healthy lifestyle for a few years ago, started running, then lifting and managed to get back down to 130 lbs. Then I let it slide and I quickly settled back up to 148 lbs.

In the last few months I have started doing what worked before but the weight is just. not coming. off (although I did stop gaining). I am at the point where I am lifting twice a week, running 12 miles a week, and I just lowered my net calories from 1400 to 1200 because I have barely lost a pound in 3 months. It is very frustrating.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have lost almost 100lbs- it has taken me two years and I still have a little over 30 left to lose. It can be a struggle at any age, but it can be done. Any one can add me if they would like to .
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    I will be 41 in a couple of months, after a injury filled couple of years I am pushing hard to get back into really good shape. Feel free to add me.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, , anyone who INTERACTS with their Pals and sends a note to with their friend request can add me :) I do a lot of different workout stuff you will come to find out :)
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I turn 41 in November and can definitely relate. As I have gotten older, my physical activity has gotten less and less. Eight weeks ago, I decided to make a lifestyle change. With the help of MFP, I have dropped 25 pounds in those 8 weeks. I still have a long way to go, but I will get there with the help of MFP and my friends on here. Please feel free to add me as a friend. Also, anyone reading this, please feel free to send me a friend request. I need as many supportive friends as I can possibly get.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I can totally relate! I gained 20+ pounds last year after surgery, and have only lost 15 of it so far. I could stand to lose about 50 besides that, and it definitely feels like it comes off slower than it used to. I haven't been the strictest with my food, but I'm doing better than I was before I tracked it. :bigsmile:
  • HealthyLifestyleG525
    HealthyLifestyleG525 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and the heaviest I have ever been:( For me it's a truism that metabolism slows down as we get older. I wish I would have started healthier eating habits when I was younger and it seemed like I could eat whatever I wanted and still remain thin.

On here to make healthy permanent changes and see food differently. Not like dieting in the past where I was dieting to lose weight with a short term goal in mind, and the weight bounced back as soon as I went back to my old eating habits. Now I just want to learn healthy habits. I'm sure if I do, the weight loss will follow.

Feel free to add me
  • Neilly50
    Neilly50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand how you feel. I'm 42 and find it way more difficult to lose weight than I used to. Feel free to add me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and completely agree! I have never been more than 10 or 15 lbs overweight. In my 20s and 30s, if I got a little lazy and gained a few, I could cut back the junk food, put a little more effort into being active, and lose 5 or 10 no problem.

Then at 39, when I realized I was carrying 10 extra lbs and wanted to be fit for my 40th birthday, I did the same things I had always done, and... NOTHING. Worse, I gained another 5 lbs. So I knew now I had to get serious :)

A word to the wise, strength training has given me the most bang for my buck so far. Obviously you need to keep your calories in line, but cardio just doesn't improve my body the way it used to! Putting a little muscle on has really improved my shape and I feel like I have more energy, I guess because I'm stronger.

Anyway, good luck and keep at it!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Was always in decent shape up until we had kids. Stopped playing sports, started focusing on career, and I looked around at 40 and realized it was 10 years later and I was at least 30+ pounds heavier. I've always had it in my mind to get back down to 180 where I was when I was in my 20's, but realistically, with a desk job and limited time, I am 'ok' if I can stay under 200 for now. As time moves forward though I keep working to drop down, but as other mention it is certainly harder to lose weight, and WAYYY too easy to gain it.

I just focus on making the best choices for eating and exercise, as often as I can. and commit to doing it for the rest of my life. We will see how it goes.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and lost 82 lbs in the past year really just by becoming more active because my diet is not the best a lot of the time. I do watch my protein like a hawk and really strive to hit that macro. I feel better now than I did in my 20's and 30's and am in better shape. I've also done it all eating between 1700 - 2200 calories with the exception of one really really bad day this week.

My advice is to accurately log your food and exercise, be patient and learn to understand your body. Don't set your goals to high, i.e. be happy with losing 1 lb a week, and keep at it. You will get frustrated. Find a group of supportive friends and interact with them daily.

Anyone can add me, just shoot me a little message and plan to be interactive.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! I'm 46 - in the last 4 years, I put on almost 25 pounds without even realizing it (I'm sure the margaritas had nothing to do with it). I'm finally getting back "in the zone" and back on track. I recommitted (again) in May by starting with small changes and relishing the sense of accomplishment of mini-goals, even if it was something small like eating breakfast at home. I also started running/walking in mid-May which has really helped (I'm down 15 pounds). I'm still working on my MFP streak (made it to 21 days but then lost it while out of town and didn't log my food one day).

The battle against the metabolism is daunting, but it is a battle that can be won. Slow and steady wins the race!

I've been on MFP for a while, but don't have a friend network, so feel free to add me as a friend - not exactly sure how that works, as I'm fairly new to the message boards and haven't posted much, but would appreciate a support network.

Good luck to everyone - You are awesome and you can make things happen!
  • white510
    white510 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 50 as of May....would love some friends for support and accountability. I have 20 lbs to shed and could use encouragement and would love to be there to help you. Feel free to add me...anyone!!
  • judipatootie
    judipatootie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IM 48...and i lose and i gain and i lose. It gets so much harder the older we get. Im really hoping to stay motivated this time. I packed on 10 lbs over the past 4 months. After eating properly and excercising all winter, when spring hit, i kind of dropped the ball. I need help.
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have been here for more days than I'd like to count honestly because I haven't gotten much to show for it. I'm a shorty, less than 5ft so its taking longer than what I had hoped. I am very interactive with my friends but I expect the friendship to be two-sided. I love to encourage people but I need it as well. Just send me a little note with you fr and I'll be sure to add you
  • HeatherHaile
    Options
    I'm here with you Trina!
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me. I'm 44 for a few more days now and am working on losing 100+ lbs.
  • lauriebmclean
    Options
    Hi. I'm completely new to this - been tracking food for about 3 1/2 weeks. I didn't even realize all of these message boards were available. But, I'd love the support.

I turned 40 in November. We had our kitchen renovated which meant 2 months of eating out 3 meals a day. Add to that a car accident in February which left me completely sedentary and I've had a rough year.

I have been doing water aerobics 4 mornings a week and tracking calories and have lost 11 lbs. I am finally under 200 lbs. but I've got a ways to go.

I would love any of you to "friend" me so we can support and encourage each other. It does seem much harder at 40. I could eat whatever I wanted when I was in high school and played three sports! Not so much now! :laugh:
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    its a piece of cake...............want some :laugh:

Red velvet please. I'm 42 going back and forth with weight (active->sedentary-> active). LIFE...
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am turning 42 in a couple months. Anyone can feel free to add me too.