Gym Routines

Options
Okay so i need your advice and guidance. I am a newb to exercising in a gym and this site as well. I have a gym membership but just really don't have much of an idea of what to do at the gym. I am a woman, 5'6, and at about 164 lbs. I have no desire to get big lady muscles (not that there is anything wrong with that, its just not for me.) I just want to lose about 30 lbs and just tone everything up. I would like to eventually have some abs but that is long down the road.

Anywho, does anyone know of routines that have a step by step with specific machines? I need help!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    I would start out with strong lift 5x5 that is a basic routine that gets progressively heavier each week. (I know there are other programs out there, I'm suggesting it because I've seen results with it). Followed by some HIIT like sprints for 15-20 min.

Free weights are far more effective than machines. I would stick with free weights only and avoid machines.

The best way to loose weight is something that allows progression with increasing weight. You will not get big muscles with heavy weights. To build muscle size requires a calorie surplus. So as long as you are at a calorie deficit, you will not gain weight or muscle size.

Abs will come down the road as your body fat gets lower.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check out strong curves, new rules of lifting for women, starting strength or strong lifts.. you wont get big muscles unless you're eating alot and taking hormonal supplements
  • susieqtx123
    susieqtx123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the worry that when I started training with a personal trainer I would get really big muscles and I haven't t. I am gradually growing into a body that is leaner than it has ever been and toned. Despite the fact that my trainer makes me use heavier weights than I would have ever lifted in my life, my body has not got bulky at all. I think it's to do with the lean muscle I'm developing or something. I'm sure someone will come along soon and explain what is is and the science stuff!!
  • ErikaWhitten
    ErikaWhitten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so!

Thanks for the advice so far all!
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodybuilding.com

They are always my go-to when looking for a routine. They have many plans (even some for women) that you can concentrate on a certain muscle group and it will tell you what to use and how long to perform each exercise.

PS lifting heavy will not make you into a woman bodybuilder. Don't shy away from heavy weights as that in conjunction with some good cardio will get you that "toned" look you say you want. But remember, you can't "tone" a muscle :smile:
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey I don't want to go for a jog. Don't want to accidentally become the next Usain Bolt.
  • ErikaWhitten
    Options
    This is all so great! I'll definitely check out some of the stuff you recommended all and I feel a lot better about the free weights. They have always seemed kind of intimidating to me (I'm sure that sounds incredibly weird lol) but not as much now!
  • ErikaWhitten
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about bodybuilding.com MrsSchimmy!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html

This is awesome!