Protein powder/shakes for weight loss?

Options
Hi all,

I've read a couple articles on this and I wanted to know your take on it.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I you like how they taste, and don't mind spending a lot of money on them, then by all means drink some.

But don't base your entire diet solely on shakes or protein powder, otherwise you will have a low chance of long term success.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    They are great for helping you hit your protein macros while keeping your caloric intake relatively low. Some people also find that protein heavy foods or shakes help them feel fuller for longer which also assists in keeping your caloric intake in check. They are just another tool in the toolbox.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Aye they won't magic the weight away it's just a food.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    They are a great supplement to any diet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not cause to to lose or gain weight. The calories in that shake are the same as the calories in your food. Protein shakes are great for meeting your protein goal, but they're not magic.
  • salenar2014
    salenar2014 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a person who usually doesn't eat until about 6 hours after i wake up which then causes me to inhale anything in a 2 mile radius. A protein shake eliminates that problem. one 200 calorie drink when i wake up allows me to keep my hunger in check without the nausea i always get from eating first thing in the morning. I use GNC AMP btw
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    They are great for helping you hit your protein macros while keeping your caloric intake relatively low. Some people also find that protein heavy foods or shakes help them feel fuller for longer which also assists in keeping your caloric intake in check. They are just another tool in the toolbox.

This, precisely. My current goal is to lose fat while retaining lean muscle mass so I need up to 1g protein/lb of lean muscle mass. For me, that is an estimated 108g per day. To stay in a deficit and eat that much protein I often add a scoop of protein powder to my coffee, yogurt, or milk. Its a tool I like to use, but it depends on your goals. Its hard for me to eat 108 g of protein in a deficit without it sometimes, unless I plan like a genius (sometimes life, popcorn, wine, or cheese gets in the way of my genius planning and I have to make up for it somewhere).
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    They are a great supplement to any diet.
    I like this
    I take a shake at night to keep night time cravings away. Also first thing in the morning cuz i'm hungry while i make breakfast and i dont eat it til i get to work.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    I recently added some protein powder (1 scoop) a day. It added 18g of protein and now I'm finally reaching my protein macro goal. I just don't like eating that much meat and I don't eat legumes every day so I was having trouble reaching it. It might be a placebo but I think the extra protein is helping with hunger. :) So it could help w/ weight loss if you're having trouble getting enough protein and if having enough protein helps you eat at a deficit. Not necessary though.
  • bcerk
    bcerk Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi all,

I've read a couple articles on this and I wanted to know your take on it.

To clear some things up, I don't want to base my diet solely on protein shakes, I wanted to know if itll help shape my body while running/strength training. I believe I have a relative balanced diet already, but do not get the amount of protein i need. I know body builders use them to bulk up, but will they help someone who just wants to aid their muscles whlie doing a running/strength training routine?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Protein powder/shakes have nothing whatsoever to do with weight loss; only a calorie deficit will achieve that.

That being said, protein powders/shakes are great for helping you hit your protein macro for the day. They can also be a very tasty meal or snack alternative on the go. So, they can have their place in your fitness and diet routine, but they absolutely will not make you lose weight.
  • alpinehealth
    alpinehealth Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Great answer!