Anyone here complete the C25K program and kept running?

Options
I re-started watching my calories 3 weeks ago- I've been on 1200 to 1400 calories a day for 3 weeks and just started the C25K yesterday. I know a lot of people start and never finish, I can truly understand as I did a C210K program 3 years ago and quit on week 11 of 13. I am newly committed but I'm interested in hearing from people that kept at it and would appreciate any encouragement. Thank you

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I did!

However, just a note that the C25k program didn't actually get me to 5K. I did it based on the times and it assumes you run a 10 minute mile (which I don't). When I finished C25K, I found another training program online (see Hal Higdon) for 5ks and started it at about the halfway point of the plan because it was at the distances that I was running. I finished that program to get me to the 5k distance.

Now, I'm doing the C210k program (started where the C25k ended) and am running about 3.5 to 4 miles each time. I'm sure I'll find another plan after that. I'm thinking of redoing C25k with jogging/running instead of walking/jogging, or maybe do that with the Zombies Run! program to improve my speed. I don't know, I'll figure it out when I get there.

TL/DR: I finished it and kept running. Finding other programs to do kept me going when I finished.

ETA: I did my first 5k last weekend! See my profile pic!
  • lillypad13
    lillypad13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!
  • lemurcatta85
    Options
    I did! Well, kind of. I never ran before, started C25K, realized before the end I could run a 5k without stopping no problem, and stopped using it and just kept running. Now I run about 20-35 miles per week and have done maybe 20 5Ks, a couple 10ks, and a couple half marathons. There are still days when I don't feel motivated to run - sometimes whole weeks...and I either go anyway and remember how I feel afterwards, or switch up my activities for a little bit. :)
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Same as above, I used it as a starting tool but found I performed better after ditching it around week 4.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Me! :bigsmile:

I started c25k about two and a half years ago, completed it, and I'm still running. I still go out three days a week, and I still do a warm up and cool down walk with each run. My distance and pace have increased over time, I run several 5k races each year, and did a 10k race this spring.

Once I got through the program, I used apps like Runkeeper and Nike+ (still do) to track my distance and pace, and enjoy Nike's motivational milestones and trophies they give you in-app.
  • Brinray
    Brinray Posts: 20
    Options
    I finished it, and then kept right on running for a few months but found that i missed the little voice telling me to keep going and such. I am now re-doing C25K at a faster pace than my first go-around.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes me!

I finished it two weeks ago and am still running 3 times a week. Like someone said above, I just used the timings so I wasn't actually running a full 5k at the end of the programme. I've now worked out a 5k route and am working at improving my time on that. I still have to take a few walking breaks, and sometimes end up walking the last stretch, but I'm getting better and hoping to get it down to 30mins (and then try and beat that eventually!)

I now use runkeeper and have set it up to give me voice updates every 1/2 km to keep me going.
  • mancgolfer
    mancgolfer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yep, I used the C210K program over a period of 17-18 weeks. I just ticked off the ones I completed. If I couldn't complete I'd try again on my next session. I now run one 10K per week, and 7-8K 2 or 3 times a week. Just keep on plugging away, my mentality was I haven't spent 30 minutes (or whatever it was) not to tick the session off, keeps you pushing on.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Me!

I completed the C25k program almost 3 years ago. Then I went on to complete a Bridge to 10k program. Then I went on to run a few half marathons! I love running!!!!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started it about 7 weeks ago at 250 lbs and having never really run before. The first day, I could barely make it that full minute jog.

I'm now at Week 5; Day 2 and can run ~13 mins without stopping. (Day 3 is a 20 min jog I can't quite manage yet. )

I've completed a few 5Ks, and definitely plan on continuing to run after I finish, as often as possible. I'd like to plan a 5K for every or every-other month.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K in about 5 weeks and have been running every since. I run between 3 to 5 days a week and try to average around 25 miles each week. I just began my 3rd year of running and even though I missed about 6 months during the first two years to injury I am just about to reach the 1400 mile mark. For someone that had not run since high school I consider this to be one of my major lifestyle change accomplishments. Running is now my favorite form of exercise! Run strong!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I did!

I've tried it probably a good 3 times before and never got passed the running for 5 minutes straight. For some reason this last time I just kept with it. Now I can run probably 5 miles without walking....which is good especially considering i never even ran a complete mile in school.....

I'm still running at least 3 times a week, no races yet, but i'm training for a Spartan in December....rather i'm supposed to be training, but all i've done so far is run...
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I did the couch 2 5k 5 years ago and haven't stop running since. I've completed numerous 5ks and 10ks, 2 sprint tris, 1 marathon, and currently training for half marathon #9. :) Don't give up, running is now my easy exercise...the one that relaxes me and makes me happy. The one I always turn to when I don't want to do anything else. Hopefully one day it will be like that for you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I started using C25K podcasts as an adjunct to losing weight, fairly quickly realised that what was more important to me was improving my running performance and the weight would come off anyway.

I'm currently half way through a half marathon training cycle.
  • lillypad13
    lillypad13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You guys are all such great inspiration! From the bottom of my heart, thank you! I will keep keeping on!!!:heart:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I started it in April and finished it on schedule. I am continuing to run and am up to 6 miles on long weekend runs and 3-4 miles on the other two. I'll run my first race in September.
  • madimurrell12
    Options
    2 years ago I did the c25k, fast forward to now where I run 35-40 miles a week, can comfortably run 15 miles and I actually cannot remember the last time that I 'only' ran 5k.
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've just started (week 3) but this is very motivating....thanks
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Me, too! Finished a year ago and still run, usually 2-3 miles at a time, but I hope to get to 5 miles at some point when I have more time to spend on exercise than right now. I NEVER thought I would finish it or get to this point, so I am a HUGE supporter!!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yep. Even though I've had running breaks of several months, I like to go back and start it again, especially when I feel I'm starting from a fairly unfit base!

I did it initially and then went straight on to the c210k programme. I ran a 10k and carried on running with other apps (mapmyrun, Runkeeper) until I got to about 7.5 miles. Then life got too busy. I'm now on wk2 of hal higdon's 1/2 marathon novice 1 training. It starts with a 3 mile run!

Out of interest, why do you think you stopped so far in?