Treadmill vs outdoors

Options
What's your preference in running? I've been running outside ever since I started my fitness/weight loss journey and love it, but recently I've been running on the treadmill when I'm at the gym and I HATE IT.

Seriously, I don't know how people run on treadmills! Too repetitive for me hahaha so what about you guys? Do you like treadmill, outdoor or both?

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Outside I run without music and need very little distractions other than the scenery. Inside, unless I'm in a treadmill class, I cannot have enough forms of simultaneous stimulation to keep me into it for as long as I'd like.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Treadmill for winter and very hot days-but I would much rather run outside in the sunshine!
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Listen to podcasts or watch a tv show while running on a treadmill. You need something to "lose yourself" in to pass the time.

I vastly prefer running outdoors, but even outdoors I usually listen to podcasts.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I can't run due to my knee issues, but I love walking!! Outdoors is the only way, even when it's cold!! :wink:
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth on this...I like a treadmill if I have a long audio program to listen to, it's usually Opie and Anthony, and it's easier on my knee, but the adventure of running outdoors, especially when I used to live in the mountains and the strength it provides my legs was second to none...but all things equal, I need to be outside.
  • Xaviernonni
    Xaviernonni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons for each:
    Treadmill: no need to carry water/phone/ID, potty close by if necessary, fan directly on me, NO DEER FLIES! However...BOOOORING!!

On the road: need pockets, watch out for dogs/cars/bugs, carry water, but great scenery, fresh air, other runners to be encouraged by...
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoors and I am not a runner, I powerwalk. I felt like a slave to the treadmill and took it outdoors and found a nice walking trail about 5 minutes from my house. I didn't have an mp3 player so I use my son's kindle to listen to music and it has made a big difference. I usually go no later than 8:12am, so that the weather is not hot and muggy.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outdoors. The gym is too distracting, and I get bored on the treadmill really fast. It's an interesting way to see a new city when you're traveling, too.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran on a treadmill in over a decade. Cold, hot, rain, I'm pounding the pavement. But, while it still dips into the teens I the winter, it also doesn't snow here...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've really come to love running outside. The treadmill will now be used only in the winter when it is -1000 (gets cold out here).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love to run outdoors, but i blew up my knee last year and the uneven surfaces and hills are torturous for me, i have stability issues, so the only way i can run is on the treadmill where its very controlled and level and safe. and i can grab onto the side bars if i step wrong and my knee gives out.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outdoors, and don't usually care for the treadmill. Recently, however, I've found it can be fun if I use it for playing around with faster intervals and getting myself used to the feel of running faster. There's also a treadmill-based class at my gym I might try. But generally I'll take outdoors if weather permits.
  • Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills. Owned one, never used it. Don't want to own another one.

I live in AZ so it's 100+ degrees out now. I still prefer to walk/run outside, even if it means I have to get up at 4:30am 6 days/week to do it. :wink:
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ok there is a reason for a treadmill for me and I hopefully am not the only one. I have a bad habit of zoning out when running upping intensity and durartion not to mention safety because I am unaware of surroundings when I zone out so to help control myself I use a treadmill. It sets pace and keeps it there and safety isn't an issue and then I still can get a great session for distressing. I would love outdoors but without a partner not the best idea for me at this time
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I hate, hate, hate the treadmill but sometimes when it's 105° plus in the afternoon, and the mornings don't dip below 80°, (I'm also in Southern AZ and it's HOT!) I'll break down and use one at the gym at work. There's no fan, unfortunately, so I sweat buckets on the treadmill as a result. So that's negative number one. Two is the extreme boredom. The TVs at the gym all have the sound off, there's no good channels and when they go to commercial it's excrutiatingly mind-numbing. Three, I usually run/walk in intervals and that's more complicated on the treadmill.

Funny thing is, when I'm running outside it's almost always just around my neighborhood so I'm seeing the same things every day and it's just a bunch of houses so it's not particularly inspiring scenery. Still, I prefer it 1000 times to the treadmill at the gym.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I would prefer outdoors every time, but I will use the treadmill if the weather doesn't allow outdoors. And living in Western Montana, that's a lot of the time. If I have good tunes, I can do it. If I don't have my music, no way.... the monotony kills me.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I loathe treadmills. I fell off one once (stupid mistake) and have hated them ever since. I like to run on an indoor track during the winter if I can find one, or else I throw on a ton of layers in the winter. When it's hot, I take water with me and push through the heat. I can probably count my treadmill runs for any given year on one hand. I also hate treadmills because I don't run a consistent pace, and I don't like having to think about every time I want to slow down or speed up; I can never find a comfortable speed!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I prefer the outdoors where the scenery changes. A treadmill feels a lot like a hamster on a wheel.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    got bored with the treadmill too quickly. Love it outside, just spray on deep woods off, carry my ipod, have my hat and sunglasses and GO! Also I can always pick a different route....usually 3-4 miles round trip minimum.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill! It's in my basement so when I'm done I can shower in my own shower. I don't get bored, but then I don't do much endurance running anymore - tempo and intervals, playing with the speed for varying periods of time. Typically 20-25 min at a time.