Withings steps as exercise?

Options
If my goal is to maintain and I set my maintenance for MFP It gives me 1550 if I'm "sedentary". What does that entail? That is over my BMR so isn't it already factoring in sedentary activity?
And yet, if I link it to withings it counts my steps as exercise and deducts it so that my net is lower, as if I can eat back those calories and maintain my weight. But withings tracks things like 'sedentary' activity such walking to the garbage, etc and it ends up acting like that is exercise.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do withings steps count or should they not? It seems like they shouldn't if they aren't extra exercise?

Replies

• nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    :huh:
  • heartists
    heartists Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ....?
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    OP, you may need to explain what Withings is...? I can't speak for everyone else on MFP, but I have no clue what that is. Sounds like it might be a Fitbit type thing, but not sure.
  • heartists
    heartists Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is an app, basically keeps track of activity (steps) and calories burned and syncs with myfitnesspal. It gives you exercise calories based on activity during the day.
    http://www.withings.com/us/health-mate.html
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I may know what you're talking about.

I use a fitbit zip that tracks my steps. I set myself to sedentary, which MFP defines as around 3500/steps a day or less. If I walk more than that, it adds calories to my daily goal (I can eat more). The more I walk, the more calories I get. This is the recommended way to use trackers with MFP.

I also log exercises the fitbit doesn't track well, like biking and mucking out chicken coops, to get additional calories. You get to eat anything over that sedentary baseline of approximately 3500 steps.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you read the FAQ?

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1084232-what-is-the-calorie-adjustment-in-my-exercise-diary

I used a Withings Pulse until it took a swim in the washing machine. Now I use the Accupedo app on my phone (one less device to carry). While considering this I ran across a NIH study analysis where they reviewed step counters as a predictor of fitness levels. Basically it broke down like this:

0-5000 steps = Sedentary
    5000-10000 steps = Lightly active
    Over 10000 steps = Moderately active

I find this is about right. I have to get 5000-1000 steps a day before Accupedo/MFP determine I will burn enough calories to register a positive value. On average, I do about 11500 steps and get an extra 170 calories per day.

Hope this helps.
  • 424a57
    Options
    Q1: If my goal is to maintain and I set my maintenance for MFP It gives me 1550 if I'm "sedentary". What does that entail?
    A1: I don't know if you use the web version or an app on your mobile device, but on the web site under the APPS tab is a BMR calculator. Probably, if you get your BMR and multiple it by 1.2 or 1.25, you will see a number close to your recommended net calories for the day.

Ref: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Q2: That is over my BMR so isn't it already factoring in sedentary activity?
    A2: Yes.

OP Commentary: And yet, if I link it to withings it counts my steps as exercise and deducts it so that my net is lower, as if I can eat back those calories and maintain my weight. But withings tracks things like 'sedentary' activity such walking to the garbage, etc and it ends up acting like that is exercise.

Q3: Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    A3: Yes.

Q4: Do withings steps count or should they not? It seems like they shouldn't if they aren't extra exercise?
    A4: If you have your Withings account linked to MFP, assuming you set up your Withings profile "User" settings similar to MFP, the two apps should work together to determine the calories burned by just living and moving around, plus walking and running. Walking and running are fairly well managed by Withings Pulse. Any additional exercises like cycling or swimming or circuit training aren't as well managed and should probably be added separately.

One note though, when adding exercises, most "exercise calories burned" calculators and references show gross calories -- the calories burned by a person of your height and weight doing the exercise for a given number of minutes. But, some of those calories would be burned by just sitting around doing nothing and are already factored into your daily net requirements. What I do is subract out my MFP base calories from the amount given since they are already counted. In your example, you said you get 1550 calories per day, so that works out to about 1 calorie per minute of exercise (1550 calories divided by 1440 minutes per day).

Edited for spelling
  • 424a57
    Options
    By he way, the NIH report I referred to is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035
    Title: How many steps/day are enough? Preliminary pedometer indices for public health

"Based on currently available evidence, we propose the following preliminary indices be used to classify pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults: (i). <5000 steps/day may be used as a 'sedentary lifestyle index'; (ii). 5000-7499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered 'low active'; (iii). 7500-9999 likely includes some volitional activities (and/or elevated occupational activity demands) and might be considered 'somewhat active'; and (iv). >or=10000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as 'active'. Individuals who take >12500 steps/day are likely to be classified as 'highly active'."