Over Obsession

Options
Hey guys,

I do not post too much, and have never done a post like this, and I hope it does not come off as too whiny, etc. (And, well, if it does, I apologize!!)

I obsess, too much, over weight, food, exercise, etc.

I want/have about 10 lbs. to lose and it has been very difficult to get those off.

I work out hard, doing various exercises, and eat well...

But, today I think a plug came loose :/

I woke up super early and ate, but was hungry by 10 and ate again (I had extra high calorie burns Mon and Wed, so I figured that might have played a part and didn't think much of it). But, I was still hungry right after I worked out. I did not snack on "bad" foods, but it is calories in, calories out. So, I had eaten 1200 calories after lunch. That messed with my head, because some people eat 1200 calories daily, therefore I felt disgusting.

I flipped, and began obsessing even more than usual about what I had done, how it will effect me, etc. I know one day isn't going to crash everything, but it was a lot built up, I am guessing.

I did log everything. I know carbs don't kill you, but I ate oatmeal, cereal, and a pita all by lunchtime, making me feel like a big ol' carb monster.

I planned out a big, hearty, salad and sweet potato for dinner tonight to help balance it all out.

I am just so tired of how obsessive I get and how much I anger I hold towards myself when I feel like I am not where I should be (whether it be calories/food, exercise, or how my body looks).

Thanks so much for taking the time to read, comment, etc. I am trying harder not to continually talk about this obsession with family and friends, I know it gets old very quickly. So, I appreciate that this group is here :)

Replies

• katimorris87
    katimorris87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. EXACTLY.
    I'm sorry to see someone who is the same because it really takes a toll.

I don't have an advice, but pm me whenever you feel like talking about it. I can relate.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!!!

I think the biggest thing is watching your daily intake to make sure you are not going for too high a deficit. Too high will lead to major feelings of restriction and then likely a carb binge.

The balance is so very very hard :(
  • miller_brittany
    Options
    I totally relate! I want to lose 10 lbs as well and I feel like it's always on my mind. And if I can't work out for some reason or if I overeat I obsess about it and think about how fat I'm going to get.
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing/posting...sometimes it is even "nice" to know that you are not 100% crazy...my husband would claim 85% ;)

But, really, it has been a huge burden for so long, and if I can help and be helped by others who might be dealing with similar feelings, then let's do it. I am eating to fuel my body, I cannot forget that, obsession will only hurt me inside and out.
  • janelily7
    janelily7 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it's difficult not to be obsessive over our weight. Self pride is my reason. I don't like being overweight and I know I'm the only one who can help. This site, and others like it, is the best place to come and discus and find help. We are all in the same boat and it is not sinking.
    Good luck.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It's a very dangerous mindset to be in and CAN pave the way for disordered eating if it's not corrected. You we hungry and you ate--you should not feel disgusting for fueling your body. Please try to think rationally when these thoughts pop into your head. Food should not lead to shame and disgust, I've been where you are and I'd just tread lightly because it's not a safe, healthy, or happy place to be mentally.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I kind of think this way sometimes, I'm one of those people who only have 1200 calories, it's stressful going to store and seeing that you can't buy anything. You need to be careful though because it can turn into anorexia nervosa. Don't overwork yourself as well, I found that I got ill from that and then afterwards just ate everything in site.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    This is totally just some friendly advice. I mean this in the most constructive, most supportive way possible.

If you're obsessing about food, and constantly thinking about food, while dieting, for SOME people that is a good indication that maybe your deficit is too high, on average. If you're only 10 lbs. from your ideal weight, then your daily deficit should probably be super tiny. Like no more than 250 calories per day less than your TDEE. How big is your deficit per day?

At the rate I'm suggesting (0.5 lbs per week) will it take half a year to reach your goal? Yes. Will you be obsessing over food and feeling like sh1t the entire time you're dieting? no. You'll feel normal at 250 deficit per day.

Just think about it, ok?

[edit for math and I don't know the difference between "day" and "week" when typing fast...]
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have only 1200 a day, so if it's a day I don't exercise much, I feel as if I spend a lot of mental energy planning what I will eat. I'm also at a 2-month plateau, so I feel if I'm not losing on this few calories, then if I eat over my limit, I will gain. Unlike most of the people on this site, who are younger and larger than I am, I don't really have a lot of deficit leeway at 55 years old and 5'1.5". I also worry if I have a busy day and won't get in a workout. I even worry about getting older and what's going to happen when I can't work out anymore the way I do now.

My daughter was an a program at her workplace, and she said she was told by their nutritionist that if you're under 30, if you can stay on plan 5 days of of 7 you'll be fine.

Sometimes it's a relief to have a day where I can't track, for instance, if I''m away from a computer, not so I can pig out, but just not think about food and tracking.
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you. I appreciate all of the honesty you all shared. I haven't ever talked about this with anyone outside family, and I don't want to grind them to death with the constant worrying, etc.

When I first lost a large amount of weight i was eating 1500-1600 calories, working out consistently, planning a wedding, and going to school. IE: I don't think I was eating enough for my routine and personal stats.

MFP has me eating 1750 daily, and then if I work out it can (or should) be more, but when I see I have eaten 2000 calories that makes my mind flip back to my old "numbers" and think "My gosh, I am eating 500 more calories than I used to."

I try and remind myself that I am working harder this time, not to just lose weight, but to be strong and healthy. My calories count for more this time.

I can tell you now, I will be reading these responses more than once. I want my inside to match my outside.
  • XLMACX
    XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not alone!! I have been obsessing over diets for 3 years now but with me I'm always researching the new diet and trying it I have done low carb thinking of doing 5.2 al weight watchers plans, slimming world, and always revert back to mfp as I know it works with me what I find myself doing is whenever I'm doing really well I will for some daft reason binge then eat less through week to compensate vicious circle, out of 11 week doing mfp I have binged 6 of those if I just kept it simple I would have been at target now,
    I'm always reading these forums and any other diet article if a night out is planned like a wedding or party I get really anxious and sometimes don't want to go because I know I will struggle to stay within calories basically diets is all I think about and has been for a long time which has taken over my life although I don't have a eating disorder, I have been diagnosed with OCD to diets in general which sound stupid and unheard of but maybe if you have similar symptoms to what I have said then go speak I to the doctors for help, x
  • XLMACX
    XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is totally just some friendly advice. I mean this in the most constructive, most supportive way possible.

If you're obsessing about food, and constantly thinking about food, while dieting, for SOME people that is a good indication that maybe your deficit is too high, on average. If you're only 10 lbs. from your ideal weight, then your daily deficit should probably be super tiny. Like no more than 250 calories per day less than your TDEE. How big is your deficit per day?

At the rate I'm suggesting (0.5 lbs per week) will it take half a year to reach your goal? Yes. Will you be obsessing over food and feeling like sh1t the entire time you're dieting? no. You'll feel normal at 250 deficit per day.

Just think about it, ok?

Never heard of this thank you maybe this is were I'm going wrong,?! X

[edit for math and I don't know the difference between "day" and "week" when typing fast...]
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can relate to this. But it is disheartening to read people state "Watch out, you'll get an eating disorder". That's an insult to those who actually have an eating disorder. EDs are so much more than being obsessed by food! Please don't trivialize it.

But I don't know what the answer us. Especially if you are a perfectionist. You have a high drive to succeed! But it is a pain in the butt, that's for sure! I find myself obsessing about the same things as well. And it is frustrating as all get out when things don't seem to work! I guess we just keep,struggling on...
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can relate to this. But it is disheartening to read people state "Watch out, you'll get an eating disorder". That's an insult to those who actually have an eating disorder. EDs are so much more than being obsessed by food! Please don't trivialize it.

But I don't know what the answer us. Especially if you are a perfectionist. You have a high drive to succeed! But it is a pain in the butt, that's for sure! I find myself obsessing about the same things as well. And it is frustrating as all get out when things don't seem to work! I guess we just keep,struggling on...

I've had one and I've helped many a people overcome them. It is something to consider--notice I said DISORDERED EATING...not an eating disorder. There is a spectrum and if you've actually suffered from an eating disorder I'd think you'd realize that it is quite possible for an obsession with food to turn into something quite dangerous. MANY people develop eating disorders after innocently attempting to diet down to X size or X weight--so, while it is more than about being obsessed with food it CAN and often DOES start there for many people. So, get off your high horse please. Your response wasn't the least bit helpful despite what you may think.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can relate 100 percent!!! My daily goal is 1200. I have had binge 1 binge day ate about 3000 cals. Yesterday and today are not so hot either. I have a lot going on in y life, (mom breast cancer) so I tend to drink too much juice and ginger ale. Add me if you like. Idk the advice, but I know stress stops weight loss too hugz
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think calorie counting encourages people to obsess. It's not the normal human relationship to food.

If you're more hungry today than yesterday, that's normal and not something to beat yourself up about. If you weren't counting calories, you wouldn't even know you'd eaten 500 more and wouldn't worry.

Imagine how stressful it'd be if we had to self-monitor all our biological processes with apps --- keeping our body at 98 degrees, keeping our eyes moist from blinking often enough, remembering to breathe, to urinate, to swallow...
  • cece5300
    cece5300 Posts: 48
    Options
    Oh man, I'm sorry :( I know how that goes. I'm in maintenance mode now but there are days when I can't bear to go over my calories. I'm starving half the time and if I have to resort to eating my exercise calories, I get really anxious. I'm scared of gaining the weight back and a lifetime of this seems exhausting and depressing. I even get anxious about going out to eat with friends. It sucks. So far it hasn't been enough to deter me from continuing to work out and log my foods but I know how you feel. PM me whenever
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate...I can be much worse than OP...
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I've had one and I've helped many a people overcome them. It is something to consider--notice I said DISORDERED EATING...not an eating disorder. There is a spectrum and if you've actually suffered from an eating disorder I'd think you'd realize that it is quite possible for an obsession with food to turn into something quite dangerous. MANY people develop eating disorders after innocently attempting to diet down to X size or X weight--so, while it is more than about being obsessed with food it CAN and often DOES start there for many people. So, get off your high horse please. Your response wasn't the least bit helpful despite what you may think.

Nor is yours. I have no idea to what high horse you are referring, but you are waaaay off. And you may wish to think that diets can lead to EDs, I think not. There is much more going on. Trivialize all you want, but don't look for me to buy it.