3 Weeks and no weight loss!!

Options
Help! I'm becoming extremely discouraged. I'm 27, female, 5'7 and currently weight about 172. I want to lose 30 lbs. or ideally, lose 3-4 inches on my waist, chest, and hips (I'm currently 38-29-40.5). I had always been very active, but becoming comfortable in my relationship with my boyfriend let me eat lots of ice cream and watch tv wth him rather than work out, and I gained 30 lbs over a year. Now, we're getting married next September and I want to get back on track. This is my third week in better dieting - I eat fruit and veggies with every meal, nothing processed, stay between 1400 - 1800 calories with 40% carbs and 30% with protein and fat, and work out with interval training, running, and kickboxing 4-6 times a week. I've been pretty sore after each workout and my endurance and lung capacity has really increased, so I know my body is getting stronger. However, in the past three weeks I've gained weight!! I have over a year to lose the weight so I'm not in a terrible rush, but
I absolutely hate being in the 170s. Has anyone else taken a while to start seeing the scale tick back down?

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much still.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for personalized advice, but you're probably underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Do you weigh everything you eat—even packaged foods?

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jennylynn_1983
    jennylynn_1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Probably still too many calories in.
  • PTGal2014
    PTGal2014 Posts: 2
    Options
    You should also consider that you are gaining muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may well be gaining muscle, which is why you see an increase on the scale. Also, what about your salt? Salt will add water weight. Finally, that seems like a lot of carbs to me, but I am on a carb-restricted diet.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    1400-1500 calories would make you lose more
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    There are one of three problems:

1. You are eating too much. Try staying closer to the 1400 mark and only eat back cals when you expend them.
    2. Your under estimating your cals. Get a scale to make sure you are eating what you claim to be.
    3. You are over estimating how much you are burning.
    4. You are gaining muscle.

It took me 6 months to drop weight, at least four weeks to start seeing any real weight loss. I stopped exercising for awhile and just concentrated on my eating habits. Loss weight pretty fast because exercise wasn't confusing my calculations. Now that I'm at my goal weight I'm working weight lifting and minor cardio back in to the routine.. but not more then 3 days a week. You don't need to kill yourself in the gym, abs are made in the kitchen.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You should also consider that you are gaining muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may well be gaining muscle, which is why you see an increase on the scale. Also, what about your salt? Salt will add water weight. Finally, that seems like a lot of carbs to me, but I am on a carb-restricted diet.

Muscle does NOT weigh more then fat, five pounds is five pounds. Muscle is more dense then fat and therefore has less volume per pound. And carbs do not make you fat, over eating does.
  • js393784
    js393784 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Opened my diary - most of my carbs come from fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. My sodium barely every goes over, and I haven't eaten packaged food in quite some time. Ill try to go down to 1500 calories
  • js393784
    js393784 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also really don't calculate how many calories I burn in workouts, I just try to keep it under 1800 calories.
  • kristyloz75
    Options
    I just lost 10 pounds the first 25 days.
    I exercise four times a week/45 min to anhour each times.
    You can do it.!