Garmin GPS watch VS Runkeeper app?

Options
I apologize as I am sure this question has been asked a lot but wondering what people are using to track their data??? Up to now I have been walking but I wanted to step it up and add running. I have used Runkeeper which has pros, only need my phone for app, music, and training program! Everything is on my phone where I need it! Cons: I HATE bringing my phone along. I have thought about getting a Garmin GPS watch for tracking. Not sure of the pros but a definite con is having to have multiple devices for music/training program and tracking. I would love to know if anyone went from one of these apps to a watch and what they think! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It really depends on personal preferences and what your needs are. I had a Garmin and lost it. In the meantime, I used my phone and apps until I bought a new (well second hand new to me) one.
    For me - hands down Garmin. A dedicated GPS will be more reliable than on the phone but both still can have issues.
    The biggest factor for me is when I'm using it for training I can't see my phone/the info. For certain training runs, i need to know my pace/distance/whatever. On the phone app you can set audio clues but often I want to see the data at different intervals. I want feedback when I want it, not set intervals. My choice with the phone is to not see it or carry it in my hand - and I still have a hard time seeing the screen often.
    I also want to get into heart rate training which Garmin will also be useful for.
    Plus, I don't want to worry about hurting my phone. Sometimes I take it for music, sometimes I don't.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It didn't even occur to me that I wouldn't be able to glance at my phone all tucked away when I ran! Thanks!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are forearm bands for most models of phones if you want the ability to look at it while running. There are also waist bands that allow full control of the touch screen.

It really comes down to preference. Where on your body do you prefer to carry whichever device you use? Do you want to carry multiple devices? Do you want a device that automatically uploads your information or one that you have to manually connect to the net? What type of pace, distance, etc notifications do you want .. visual, voice, or both? Do you want the ability to add additional sensors later (HRM, foot pod, etc)? Do you only run or do you want something that does other activities as well (cycling, swimming, etc)?

Once you know what your preferences really are, narrowing the choices down gets easier. Maybe the right tool for you is a Garmin .. but which model? Maybe it's a TomTom GPS ... or an app ... or a Polar GPS ... or a stop watch and a surveyor's measuring wheel.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    a pro for having a gps is you dont have to bring your phone with you. people need to disconnect and free themselves of their devices. watch the look up viden
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    a pro for having a gps is you dont have to bring your phone with you. people need to disconnect and free themselves of their devices. watch the look up viden

Buying a device to free yourself of devices sounds a bit counterproductive.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    There are forearm bands for most models of phones if you want the ability to look at it while running. There are also waist bands that allow full control of the touch screen.

It really comes down to preference. Where on your body do you prefer to carry whichever device you use? Do you want to carry multiple devices? Do you want a device that automatically uploads your information or one that you have to manually connect to the net? What type of pace, distance, etc notifications do you want .. visual, voice, or both? Do you want the ability to add additional sensors later (HRM, foot pod, etc)? Do you only run or do you want something that does other activities as well (cycling, swimming, etc)?

Once you know what your preferences really are, narrowing the choices down gets easier. Maybe the right tool for you is a Garmin .. but which model? Maybe it's a TomTom GPS ... or an app ... or a Polar GPS ... or a stop watch and a surveyor's measuring wheel.

Garmin 910xt.
    Swim, bike, run - counts laps/strokes, distance, pace, Hr and on and on and on. More data than I would know what to do with.

A girl can dream can't she?

But yeah, I was trying to say the same thing. It all depends what you want, what your budget is, etc.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Options

Garmin 910xt.
    Swim, bike, run - counts laps/strokes, distance, pace, Hr and on and on and on. More data than I would know what to do with.

But yeah, I was trying to say the same thing. It all depends what you want, what your budget is, etc.

I jump in full speed too! Even looking at this stuff is addictive! Haha
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Options

Buying a device to free yourself of devices sounds a bit counterproductive.

Haha! I do hate having my phone glued to me!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Garmin 910xt.

I jump in full speed too! Even looking at this stuff is addictive! Haha

Check out dcrainmaker.com for lots of detailed reviews.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am very close to getting a Garmin gps watch. I loath hauling a phone on my runs. As mentioned; a dedicated gps watch is generally more accurate than the gps on phones, and certainly lighter and more convenient. Some of the garmin watches will automatically upload your data to your phone/ web when it sees your phone or tablet via bluetooth; so there is no need to connect to a pc or manually upload.

Im hoping to make the conversion myself this weekend. I am definitely doing it, just not sure when yet.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Options
    I am very close to getting a Garmin gps watch. I loath hauling a phone on my runs. As mentioned; a dedicated gps watch is generally more accurate than the gps on phones, and certainly lighter and more convenient. Some of the garmin watches will automatically upload your data to your phone/ web when it sees your phone or tablet via bluetooth; so there is no need to connect to a pc or manually upload.

Im hoping to make the conversion myself this weekend. I am definitely doing it, just not sure when yet.

Let me know which one you go with!
  • DeannaTN
    DeannaTN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went through the C25K program on the treadmill last winter and when I moved to running outside, I rewarded myself with a Garmin Forerunner 10 for tracking. I'll never go back to using an app on my phone! I read dcrainmaker's reviews before deciding which one to get and I highly recommend his site. The model I have is nothing fancy but it's perfect for what I want at this stage. Gives me tons of info and I can easily see time, distance, pace, etc. at a glance. I use my iPod for music so I've essentially traded one device for two but the trade off has been soooo worth it. Less weight, easy access to info mid run and no more phone calls or text messages distracting me during my run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It didn't even occur to me that I wouldn't be able to glance at my phone all tucked away when I ran! Thanks!

the better phone based apps have audio pace coaching options anyway; Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava.

A watch will give you slightly more reliable GPS reception, but notifications are from vibration rather than audio.

Personally I'm now on half marathon training without having seen a need to buy a GPS watch, I'm happy enough with my phone still. I am contemplating a multi-sport Garmin as the transition from cycling to running is clunky on my phone.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I needed a watch form factor for tracking my runs at work after the prohibition of phones in armbands. My primary GPS is now a TomTom Multisport. It links to my Polar H7 and Wahoo Blue SC speed and cadence monitor (indoor/outdoor tracking of runs and cycling).

When I run on my own time, the phone is still in the armband for tunes and now the Road ID app when I'm out for longer jaunts alone.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 10 and love it. Much more accurate than runkeeper etc. The other bonus is that I'm ofetn running alone and have found that having an app running on my phone means it can take a while to close down to being able to make a phonecall - in the case of an emergency time can make a difference.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 10 and love it. Much more accurate than runkeeper etc. The other bonus is that I'm ofetn running alone and have found that having an app running on my phone means it can take a while to close down to being able to make a phonecall - in the case of an emergency time can make a difference.

MapMy...., Runkeeper, and Digifit all work fine in the background on my Android. I've actually run all three simultaneously to see how they all handle the exact same GPS feed and have received calls while running.
  • zenrunner1
    zenrunner1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I never use my phone when I run - I run on the streets most of the time, and I don't think it is safe to have headphones. Plus, I find it distracting. I have a Garmin 310XT watch that I use for both running and cycling. I don't have to carry anything, and I don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain. When I ran my first marathon, I carried my phone the entire race so my husband could track where I was, only to have the battery die at mile 20. I have yet to outrun the battery on my Garmin.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I walk/ran today and think I may be getting one. Never carried my phone before and even with the arm band I did find it annoying. The plus is I found a stray dog and was able to call the dogs 'dad', had it been any other day I wouldn't have had my phone on me!
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Let me know which one you go with!

I got the Garmin Forerunner 220.

Only done one run with it so far, but I love it. So light; and looking at the route map seems a bit more accurate than phone gps.