Artificial Sweeteners

Options
So we have real sugar, plus the sugar substitutes that exist to cut down on calories in various products.
These are the most common I've come across.

Aspratame
Saccharin
Stevia Extract
Sugar
Sucralose

Which of the above are the worst and best for you, and why?
Thanks in advance.
:)

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Really another thread on this? The other one just died down, never mind the two stickies about aspartame.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1365523-diet-soda-s-and-metabolic-rate
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1323720-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

But I'll play: ASPARTAME IS THE WORST. IT IS A POSION AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!!!! IT CAUSES CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS AND GLOBAL WARMING!!!!! IT IS MADE FROM ECOLI POO WHICH MEANS IT IS EVIL LIKE SATAN!!!!!
  • Livinglast
    Options
    There is one called Monkfruit. It is made from the sugar of the monk fruit. I don't know which is worse!
  • shmerek
    Options
    http://www.monkfruit.org It is all natural therefore it must be good
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of all artificial sweeteners. Loathe them ALL.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    But I'll play: ASPARTAME IS THE WORST. IT IS A POSION AND SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!!!! IT CAUSES CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS AND GLOBAL WARMING!!!!! IT IS MADE FROM ECOLI POO WHICH MEANS IT IS EVIL LIKE SATAN!!!!!

slide_319982_2983649_free.gif
  • Livinglast
    Options
    I don't mind Monkfruit when it is in powder form. I tried the liquid form and for some reason it makes my mouth feel numb.
  • mylovelyremedy
    Options
    Because I totally made this post to irritate people. No. xD Sorry. I obviously didn't see it.

Anyways. Okay. Well. Thanks I guess?
  • shmerek
    Options
    The are all basically the same it just depends on personal preference.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My favorite is stevia, it's really sweet without a weird taste, similar to sugar. The only one that I've tried to avoid is saccharin aka sweet and low. I haven't looked into the components that it breaks down into, and it does cause cancer in rats; but you can't compare rats to humans. If it gives pigs cancer, then people should be worried.

But overall, I've spoken with a professor with a PhD about sweetners and she said that your body can't honestly tell the difference. People can be sensitive or allergic to them, but that is rare when you look at global populations.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options
    So we have real sugar, plus the sugar substitutes that exist to cut down on calories in various products.
    These are the most common I've come across.

Aspratame
    Saccharin
    Stevia Extract
    Sugar
    Sucralose

Which of the above are the worst and best for you, and why?
    Thanks in advance.
    :)

I guess the best for me are sugar ( in moderation) because I do put a bit on my breakfast cereal as well as eat products sweetened with sugar, like yoghurt.
    Also Aspartamame as I do drink Pepsi Max and coke zero. Diet coke doesn't taste so good to me , not sure if it is a different sweetener.
    Artificially sweetened lollies - I can't eat more than a couple without getting diarrhoea - not sure what they are sweetened with or whether it is the higher concentration that does it.
    My husband has equal in coffee but because I have unsweetened coffee, I haven't tried that.
    Not sure if I have ever tried stevia.

So they are best and worst for me - I dont think there is any absolute answer .

Obviously one has to be more careful with sugar in terms of calorie count though.
  • kbangash786
    Options
    all with fat

• Foodanddiettips
    Options
    The sweet extract (that is used as sugar) from the leaves of stevia is natural and has numerous benefits.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    My fave is honey, followed by brown sugar, followed by regular old white sugar. Totally depends on what I'm using it for. Artificial sweeteners taste horrible to me so I avoid them with the exception of Stevia on occasion. As for what's better for you, there's a lot of debate on that, as you've already seen here.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Anyone else like different sweeteners for different drinks? I like using aspartame for iced tea and Splenda for coffee, but hate the opposite. Equal doesn't have much of a taste. Stevia seems hard to get the right amount without going overboard with sweetness.

Nowadays, I use honey in my coffee and drink my tea plain, but sometimes I switch things up.