Water Aerobics?

agartin
agartin Posts: 274 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been trying a different class a day at the gym.. the only one I have yet to try is water aerobics.

I'm a little hesitant because it's mostly older women in there. LOL, I don't really want to feel out of place. I also feel better about my workout when I sweat. Now that I have my HRM,I could use that to see how my effort pays off, it's water-proof and it says it's ok to use in the pool in shallow water.

I'm just curious what your experience has been with water aerobics. Is it worth it?

Replies

• I teach water aerobics & I love it! Most of the women that do come are older but lately I've been having a younger crowd mix in.

Try it a few times...push yourself & if you need something a bit more ask the instructor. We are teaching the class for everyone :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    :happy: I did it a few years ago and it was difficult. Like anything; you get out of it what you put into it. I didn't have my HRM then so I don't know the burn. I'm interested to hear what the burn is when you do it! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • water aerobics is one of my FAVORITE activites at the gym.... i used to do it 3 days a week when i had my gym membership. dont let the older women discourage you they are the sweetest and MOST fun workout partners you will find ( iwas doing this when i was 18 and 19 years old im now 25).

i lost about 20 lbs in about 8 weeks when i was doing it once a week plus weights on the same day plus elliptical 2 other days a week. i strongly recommend trying the class at least twice before completely vetoing the idea!

let us all know how you like it!!!!! and good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It can be effective, but you have to commit to supplying the effort--I think moreso than some other types of aerobic exercise. It's easier to kind of float around than, say, running on a treadmill. I would give it a thorough trial before drawing conclusions--you need more than a class or 2 to really get the feel for the movements.

Oh, and you will still sweat in the water.
This discussion has been closed.