Question for you heavy lifters!

Hello all,

I am looking for some helpful advise from those of you who love to lift and would like to help a fellow MFP'er, but also know what you're talking about.

I am looking for a routine for a sort of newb at heavy lifting. I am looking to lose fat and maintain strength, not bulk up since I will be at a calorie deficit. I lifted a lot in high school and college, and am looking to get back into it, but am having difficulties finding a routine to help get back into the groove. I currently go to a brand new Planet Fitness (for cost), and luckily it has everything I would need.

If you could, please reply with some ideas for a 3-4 days a week routine. I am looking to heavy lift, upper and lower body, not endurance train. Links to other sites are cool too if you know of any. I have done some research myself but thought I would reach out on here before I begin anything.

Thanks!

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I can't tell if you're a man or a woman from your post - but in either case strong lifts 5x5 is a good program to start with. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

New rule of lifting (men or women) is a great start too.
    or Starting Strength

You can get both of these books on amazon.
  • bsmock88
    bsmock88 Posts: 22 Member
    Good point! I am a guy lol.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I can't tell if you're a man or a woman from your post - but in either case strong lifts 5x5 is a good program to start with. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

New rule of lifting (men or women) is a great start too.
    or Starting Strength

You can get both of these books on amazon.

I agree. I'm still a bit of a beginner (I've only been lifting for about 6 months now), but I found New Rules of Lifting to be a good read. Stronglifts 5x5 is a simple program that's really easy to follow, and I've been making good progress with it even though I'm currently in a calorie deficit. :smile:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    I personally think SL 5x5 is the simplest and most strait forward for newbies or people getting back in to lifting so that would be my recommendation as well.
  • azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Agreed! Stronglifts.com is a wonderful wonderful resource, and if you have a smartphone there is also an app for it that makes recording your progress even easier.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    The ones mentioned are great, I have also had "ice cream fitness 5x5" recommended to me. I tried it and plan to again but am currently doing stronglifts 5x5.

Ice cream fitness 5x5:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • kinect21
    kinect21 Posts: 6
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    Total Body Routine (Compound)
    3-4 Day Split Routine (Compound)
    Etc.

It does not matter, pick a program and STICK with it. You wont be bulky on a deficit but you'll become muscular. (bulky vs muscular)

Although you said "you lifted back in high school and college" consider yourself new again (hate to say newbie) to lifting. Focus on lifting progressively with compound movements and save the accessory lifts for later once you get stronger. You will stall on the weights but cross the bridge when you get there.