Training 3 + hours a day for a beginner

Options
I'm not really a beginner, I just haven't really done any type of exercise in over 2 years due to mental health issues. If I eat enough (while still in a calorie deficit) will I be able to train more? I plan on weight lifting, running and training martial arts

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Why would you train that long
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous :/ Not sure if this is troll or not but 3 hours a day is MASSIVE overkill.

30-60mins per day is fine when at a deficit. You'll run yourself ragged and likely yo-yo.
  • ValorSnafu
    Options
    Why would you train that long

Because I'm training MMA (BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling)

+ I have to do roadwork and the weight lifting
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Training for 3 hours everyday?

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.png
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, you need to start off slow. Maybe 3 hours is appropriate for the MMA stuff when you get more into it, but you're a beginner. If you want a plan you will actually stick to, start more slowly. 3 hours a day is unsustainable for a beginner.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Sort of depends on the person and the activity. I bike for 3-5 hours a day, seven days a week, and it only took me like a month or so to ramp up to that. I used to do martial arts three hours a day, five days a week, of that was pretty brutal. Weightlifting would be the hardest element to work in though because typically that requires working muscles to failure and so once you get that done it's real hard to do other things.

Nothing is impossible but from the activities you listed it will take some effort to structure them in such a way as to promote productive gains in each of them as you ramp up.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I go to the gym and lift weights for an hour and do numberous machines, do an hour run on the tread, mill and then another half hour of a couple machines for cardio and do a half an hour stretch... You can easily get 3 hours in and it not be over kill. I dont understand why that is a big deal? It might be a long time to go to the gym , but I have gone for 4 and a half hours doing the same routine, and I am almost down 70 pounds...... I think until you actually do it, you shouldnt just say its "over kill" if you have the time to spend that time at the gym it is very possible to fill it in and not over kill your body
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I barely have time to work out 45 min a day, let along 3 hours. I would only train that long for something if I was making a profession out of it
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    3 hours a day, let's get real here. You'll burn out in a week.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I might add also, I have a routine down to about 2 hours now that I spend in the gym, but I have spent 3-4 hours when having the time, I think it is very possible, exspecially if you have a lot of weight to lose, if you have the time ,why not do it. Just be smart and take your time, stretch and do everything properly
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sort of depends on the person and the activity. I bike for 3-5 hours a day, seven days a week, and it only took me like a month or so to ramp up to that. I used to do martial arts three hours a day, five days a week, of that was pretty brutal. Weightlifting would be the hardest element to work in though because typically that requires working muscles to failure and so once you get that done it's real hard to do other things.

Nothing is impossible but from the activities you listed it will take some effort to structure them in such a way as to promote productive gains in each of them as you ramp up.

That depends on your goals. I'd recommend the book "Easy Strength" for insights into strength training when weight lifting isn't your primary focus.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Also, the real gains are made during recovery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Completely unnecessary and likely to result in burn out if not over-train injury. Even when I'm actually training for an event I don't train that many hours save for maybe once per week. I would also add that I'm very fit and I know how to properly fuel my body. Nobody coming off a 2 year hiatus from exercise should be jumping into that kind of training regimen...to boot, I'm going to guess that you don't really know how to fuel that activity properly.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes, but it only really makes sense if your training for an athletic event.

if its really just to improve your appearance its uncessairy and maybe even counter productive to a point.

I suppose the intensity of the workout durring these three hours will make quite a difference to. if your doing HIIT its insane, maybe impossible. if your a distance runner or cycle and a not so intense pace then its less crazy
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The answer is yes, but it only really makes sense if your training for an athletic event.

if its really just to improve your appearance its uncessairy and maybe even counter productive to a point.

I suppose the intensity of the workout durring these three hours will make quite a difference to. if your doing HIIT its insane, maybe impossible. if your a distance runner or cycle and a not so intense pace then its less crazy

No distance runner I know runs three hours every day. You have one long run a week and that should top out at around 2.5 hours.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to train 3 hours a day. However, I was training to become a professional wrestler. If you are not becoming a professional athlete, 3 hours is obsessive and potentially dangerous.

For reference purposes- My 3 hour routine was-: 1 hour cardio (running, stairs, swimming etc.) 1 hour of weight lifting (alternating 1 week of strength training and 2 weeks of sculpting) and another hour doing technique drills. On "rest days" we still did cardio and flexibility training instead of lifting. We drilled technique 4 days a week.

Now, I have to ask: What "mental health issues" prevented you from working out? Because, jumping right into 3 hours a day of training sounds like another mental health issue.
  • ValorSnafu
    Options

I think that you're underestimating the amount of punishment the human body can take
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I barely have time to work out 45 min a day, let along 3 hours. I would only train that long for something if I was making a profession out of it

I agree! I have a full time demanding career, and I have a husband and four kids, there is no way I would have that kind of time. We are active participants in our community and church as well, so working out 30 -45 minutes a day works perfect for me. 3 hours as a beginner and your body will hurt!
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    In the beginning your gonna be tanked in a week and will probably last a while. with little gains if any. I would say ease into it until your body adapts and you can fuel your body properly then hit it hard and beat the crap outta people and get your a*^ kicked all in the name of fun. Go MMA!!!