Fighting Sugar Cravings during PMS?

Options
So, I don't know about you, ladies, but I genuinely get massive sugar cravings right around my time of the month. And not just sugar, but like, chocolate cravings. This is the first time in a while that I've found myself in this position while dieting, so I'm wondering what you gals out there do to curb your sugar/dessert/chocolate cravings when your hormones are all out of wack? Any thoughts?

Replies

• ditzmacca
    ditzmacca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was told that often when we're craving chocolate in that situation it's not the sugar our bodies are craving, it's fats. So I now have a small serve of nuts like raw almonds or cashews and 1 or 2 pieces of 70/80% dark chocolate. I've been doing this for over 12 months now and it totally works.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with sugar.
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    I slowly enjoy a piece of 90% cocoa chocolate. The aroma of the chocolate is really good and it's around 56cal a piece. The bitterness helps stop you from choking down too many too quickly!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I just eat small treats everyday
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why fight it? Just have some chocolate and include it into your daily calories :-)
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Where do you get 90% cocoa chocolate? I can only find (lots of different brands of) 85% cocoa.

Am now curious about that extra 5%.

I do the same, have my 85% cocoa chocolate and work it into my calories.
    ...Though it would be a lie to say I only eat it when I have PMS
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    Where do you get 90% cocoa chocolate? I can only find (lots of different brands of) 85% cocoa.

Am now curious about that extra 5%.

I do the same, have my 85% cocoa chocolate and work it into my calories.
    ...Though it would be a lie to say I only eat it when I have PMS

Most recently my mom bought some from Russia when she went to Mongolia, (also bought 100% chocolate bar for me!) but I recall that you can buy regular very dark chocolate at grocery stores, too. It is probably less common because fewer people eat it.
    If you have high end chocolatiers in your area/country they may stock it, such as Lindt or other total-chocolate-focus brands?
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat it. Usually a brownie or chocolate chip pancakes.

I tried to ignore it but then I'll end up eating three 100 calorie snacks and STILL want chocolate. So I figured it's better to just work the chocolate in somehow.

Sometimes I'll eat a 200 calorie lunch and 200 calorie chocolate snack. I feel happy and satisfied so it works for me.
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love the posts! Don't restrict, be kind to yourself and have something your body is craving. You could also find a lower calorie replacement like chocolate chia pudding (what I use) with organic dark chocolate cocoa if you're into that sort of thing. But your first step is posting and sharing. You received a lot of great suggestions! Best wishes!
  • desidieter
    desidieter Posts: 195
    Options
    Thank you, all, for the great suggestions! It helps to hear what other people are doing. I've learned a long time ago that restriction never works for me. But I figured I could still make smarter choices while indulging, like many of you are doing. Great tips, everyone! Thanks for sharing. :)