Am I Losing My Mind?

Options
So my daily calorie goal is 1787 and MFP says I finished my day at 1765 with 22 remaining. BUT I was OVER in ALL of my macro goals. I did the calorie calculations on the macros that I did consume (61g fat, 205g carb, 130g protein) and my daily calorie consumption should have said 1,889!

I went back over the past week, calculated my macros, and it was the same story for all of the other days. I'm careful in making sure that I add measurements that are accurate, ie. includes all of the fat, carb, pro data. What's going on?

Replies

• oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Open ur diary, I d like to see that. Interesting post, never paid attention to that
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Ok, did u add exercise?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate entries in database.

Hopefully it is the macros which are inaccurate and not the calories.

Might want to check the items entered
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Huh!
    I just calculated mine and it looks like mfp calculate
    Fat as 8 cal per gram, though some says it's 9
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options

this!

Got me worried this post , ya !
    What does it mean inaccurate? Bad database?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

this!

There are a lot of user database entries that are incorrect. Best bet is to use the USDA entries-- they're the ones with no asterisk if you're logging on PC. Here, read this:

http://www.fitnessfactreview.com/the-art-science-of-calorie-counting/
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options

this!

There are a lot of user database entries that are incorrect. Best bet is to use the USDA entries-- they're the ones with no asterisk if you're logging on PC. Here, read this:

Oh my! How do I figure that from mobile?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    OP I think there's a bit of rounding that happens, which can make the numbers not add up. Food labels are allowed to be off in their calorie count by 20% and sometimes I'll notice that the macros, when added up, would equal a few more calories than the label says.

Keep in mind that while you want to get as close to accurate as possible it's not possible to be 100%. So just do the best you can and adjust over time based on your actual results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

this!

I don't know-- I only use PC. Maybe someone else will come along who uses mobile.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, one of the downfalls of the app is you don't get the heads up that it is user entered...
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it is one of my big issues with MFP. When I ad exercise, MFP gives me extra calories. Mine is set to 1800, my daily range is 1800 to 2000. But some times MFP for my exercise will add an additional 300 to 500 calories per day, saying I earned extra calories.

I have not found a way to turn them off. But I have become aware, and try to stay around my 1800. So rarely to I go over my 2000 limit per day.

I hope this helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP rounds up. It really adds up.
  • surfingsmoothie
    surfingsmoothie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, I don't add exercise in MFP.

This is my first time posting and I'm trying to figure out how to quote. I think I've got it.
  • surfingsmoothie
    Options
    I would rather the macros be accurate as I follow an Iifym way of eating. The calorie issue I posted wouldn't matter so much if I only stuck to my macros but I also like to see my calorie totals for the day. I know some follow calories only and MFP calculations would really mess them up. Also, if calories are wrong, what else are they getting wrong?
  • surfingsmoothie
    Options
    Ok, did u add exercise?

No, I don't add exercise in MFP.
  • surfingsmoothie
    Options

I would rather the macros be accurate as I follow an Iifym way of eating. The calorie issue I posted wouldn't matter so much if I only stuck to my macros but I also like to see my calorie totals for the day. I know some follow calories only and MFP calculations would really mess them up. Also, if calories are wrong, what else are they getting wrong?
  • surfingsmoothie
    Options

this!

Thank you so much for your replies. I check every entry for accuracy as far as trusted source and not having calories without listed macros. I use the scanner for many of my foods and some I cross check online. I'm realizing that there is some rounding going on, down in my case. I guess I'll have to try logging from my PC for a few days and see what I get. I also noticed that between phone and PC there was a diff in calorie math. Only by a few, but still weird.
  • surfingsmoothie
    Options

this!

I don't know-- I only use PC. Maybe someone else will come along who uses mobile.

I use the mobile app to but if you are able to open MFP in a search window you can log in just as you would from your computer. From there you can see which foods have been entered by users and if they have been confirmed. Most foods that are packaged in any way will be entered by users and not by the USDA. Not as easy as the app, but I'm going to give it a try for a few days.
  • surfingsmoothie
    Options
    it is one of my big issues with MFP. When I ad exercise, MFP gives me extra calories. Mine is set to 1800, my daily range is 1800 to 2000. But some times MFP for my exercise will add an additional 300 to 500 calories per day, saying I earned extra calories.

I have not found a way to turn them off. But I have become aware, and try to stay around my 1800. So rarely to I go over my 2000 limit per day.

I hope this helps.

I don't add exercise in MFP for this very reason. I wish they'd give an option to change that.