Things you didn't know were exercise until you did them....

Options
A thread with no purpose but to make us laugh a little...
Tell us some of the things that you did not realize were good exercise until you got out of bed the next morning!

Get a job driving a delivery truck with a standard transmission. Actually, it took me 3 days to figure out why my lower abs were a little sore.

A new pair of uber cute shoes. Walking in them for a day is a fine lower body workout.

Snowmobile riding. If you don't want a sore tailbone, you will work your legs!

Replies

• azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Horseback riding = Ouches in places you did not even know you had before.
  • SinCityFit
    SinCityFit Posts: 96
    Options
    I think it's of a when you do them as opposed as to the activity. I.e. a child running, biking, and skipping rope is play. An adult doing it is exercise :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Waterslides! We call them exercise disguised as fun. *walk 6 flights of stairs* *slide* *walk 6 flights of stairs* *slide* *repeat ad nauseum*
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    playing Hay Day on your phone ... lol
    Some seriously sore hand and wrist muscles :P
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Going to Florida and doing the parks every day. Now that's hard core!

Diy often comes into that bracket, such as stripping wallpaper, moving slabs, doing the hedges...

Spent all day shopping yesterday, walking for hours, carrying heavy bags, felt that!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes to horseriding - I can't ride, but many years ago I did one of those beginner treks where basically you just sit on top of the horse and don't have to do anything as the horse knows its own way round and just kind of ambles along. The next morning, walking and normal movements were ok until I went to an aerobics class. Sidestep, grapevine... OH MY GOD MY INNER THIGHS.

Wallpaper stripping and painting - yep, doing that at the moment and have had the shoulder DOMS to prove it this week.

I once went potholing in a local caving system. Again, nothing too taxing as a beginner, but all the crawling was exhausting after a while and the next morning OH MY GOD MY ABS. I guess that's a reason why some some fitness instructors like to make people do commando crawls, but try doing it all day and there's a killer ab workout!
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Demo.... Swinging a 20 lb sledge hammer, crow bar and lifting all the wreckage after to clean it up.... Was so sore places I didn't know could get that sore!!!!
  • dammitjanet0161
    Options
    yoga

Agreed. And not just astanga, holding poses in good old hatha and iyengar yoga can have you twitchy legged and pouring with sweat.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yes to horseriding - I can't ride, but many years ago I did one of those beginner treks where basically you just sit on top of the horse and don't have to do anything as the horse knows its own way round and just kind of ambles along. The next morning, walking and normal movements were ok until I went to an aerobics class. Sidestep, grapevine... OH MY GOD MY INNER THIGHS.

Wallpaper stripping and painting - yep, doing that at the moment and have had the shoulder DOMS to prove it this week.

I once went potholing in a local caving system. Again, nothing too taxing as a beginner, but all the crawling was exhausting after a while and the next morning OH MY GOD MY ABS. I guess that's a reason why some some fitness instructors like to make people do commando crawls, but try doing it all day and there's a killer ab workout!

When you can ride, the place that gets sorest is your abs - it's a great core-building exericse! Before the Olympics, they showed a documentary about dressage riding in which they attached electrodes to the abs of one member of team GB to measure how much they were used. It turns out that at her level, every step of sitting (extended) trot is roughly equivalent to a full sit-up, and her horse trots at 150 bpm...

As for things you didn't realise were exercise: I've never eaten as much, slept as soundly, or been as fit as the summer I worked for a carpenter.
  • dammitjanet0161
    Options

When you can ride, the place that gets sorest is your abs - it's a great core-building exericse! Before the Olympics, they showed a documentary about dressage riding in which they attached electrodes to the abs of one member of team GB to measure how much they were used. It turns out that at her level, every step of sitting (extended) trot is roughly equivalent to a full sit-up, and her horse trots at 150 bpm...

As for things you didn't realise were exercise: I've never eaten as much, slept as soundly, or been as fit as the summer I worked for a carpenter.

Interesting about the riding.

Yes to physical jobs - my other half is a tree surgeon and he never does any formal exercise other than occasional cycle rides and a bit of swimming, but his arm and leg muscles are rock solid. I have occasionally acted as his "groundsman" and all the dragging out and stacking of the branches is completely knackering.
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Straightening my hair. Takes forever, and no doubt it's a good arm work out ahaha.