How realistic is 40+lbs in 22 weeks?

Options
Hi All

As the subject line says, I was just wondering how achievable 40lbs+ is (in a healthy way obviously) in 22 weeks? I want to state that it's not the be all and end all if I don't hit this goal, that's just how much I'd like and I'm counting down to Christmas lol. Obviously I'd be happy with even half that amount if it means I'm losing in a healthy way.

Stats are currently:

Height: 5'4"
SW/CW: 200lbs
GW: 154lbs
Ultimate GW: 140 (I know this would still class me as BMI overweight but it's the lightest I've been as an adult)

MFP has me at 1270 calories if this helps...

Any advice welcome :)

Thanks

Replies

• Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I guess its possible. Some people lose huge amounts during the first couple of months when they switch to low carbs . The real question is can your body support that kind of dramatic loss? I have been at this since January and it has taken a huge amount to lose that 35 since then. I swim , walk and do circuit and am set at 1200 calories a day. I don't have cheat days. That's a pretty hard goal you have given yourself. Also depending on your age you have to watch for skin getting loose when you lose that quickly.
    Does it have to be 40 pounds? Do you have an event where you have to weigh in?
  • amandawillard3551
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I'm also 5'4" with a GW of 140lbs, starting from 183lbs. In 55 days I've lost 24lbs, mainly by watching what I eat and walking. I roughly plan my eating day in the morning, but some days go to pot, which I don't stress over too much, as there are also days when I don't eat the 1200 calories MFP says I should. As for walking, I either walk round and round the block, or go hiking in the countryside. This week I've done a 15 mile hike in baking hot weather and will be out again tomorrow doing 17 miles. I also do Pilates a couple of times a week and just try to keep on the go with the household and garden chores.

So yes, I reckon 40+lbs by Christmas is doable. The hard part is keeping the weight off!

Good luck,

Mandy
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My guess is that in the beginning you can lose that much, but as you get closer, it's healthier and more realistic to lose more slowly. I only had to lose 20-25 lbs and realistically, losing 1/2 lb a week was healthy and allowed me to eat in a manner that I'll be able to do so for life (my goal is to be between 140-145 at 5'6"). It's taken me 17 weeks to lose 18 lbs so far, because weight loss is NOT linear.

p.s. I eat around 1880 calories and I'm still losing weight, though some days I eat more and some days less. I will never eat below 1600 calories again as every time I've done it in the past, I've just gained back the weight as I didn't want to keep under that amount for life.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it is realistic, but I have gotten scared of quick weight loss myself, as I have heard that your skin can't shrink as fast as you do, which will leave you with older-looking skin.
    I am getting to that age where my skin becomes quite important to me...
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can only go by my own experience

I have lost 54 lbs in 26 weeks. I have been working on 1200 - 1350 calories per day and have been working out 3 - 4 times a week one of those sessions has been with a personal trainer. I still need to lose 30+ pounds to then review how I look and feel and see if I need to push any further.

it has been tough so far and ive had occasions (one only being last week) where ive felt deflated that im not seeing the changes in myself that I would have hoped by now but ive found the community on here to be very supportive for those lonely times.

You can definitely do it but even if you don't quite hit the 40 in 22 weeks if you commit to it you will have made a big difference by then.

good luck
  • phazar777
    phazar777 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im the heaviest I have ever been and every year on holiday I take the photos so I know I am not in them. This south vacation is going to be different. I am determined to lose 40 pounds in 25 weeks, so Sarah I am with you. I am doing exercises everyday to help with the skin tighting.....LET'S DO it <3
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hmm. There's no reason you can't aim for a 2 lb/week goal for a while anyway. I'm 5'3, 161, and started actively using MFP in March when I was 200 (lost 20 lbs before using MFP). I started on 1250 calories and have lost an average of 2 lbs/week while gradually increasingly my calories as I also increased my activity (now I have a goal of 1400, since I've put my activity level at active and my goal at 1.5 lbs, and usually eat more than that due to added exercise).

Focusing on such a longterm goal is hard, though, since it will get harder to maintain that rate as you lose, as when you are not that tall your calories to maintain aren't that high unless you are really active. For example, when I started my maintenance calories without activity were estimated to be about 1900-1950, and now they'd be more like 1625-1725. This is why I think planning for an active lifestyle is important, and for me that's easier if I'm eating a little more. Beyond that, it may be that you are okay with a somewhat slower rate as you lose--I'm still quite a bit overweight and want to get down to where I was in my 30s, but I feel SO much better now that I'm good with the fact that my rate of loss is going to be declining.

So for me I think it comes down to whether it's going to make you disappointed with really good losses (like 1 lb/week) or the fact weight loss is not linear and you might do the same thing and see a big loss one week and nothing the next if you are focusing on a longterm goal. If not, and if you are willing to accept that it will likely get harder and readjust as you go, I don't see the harm, but I think as you go on you might decide 1.5 or 1 lb a week become more reasonable and 2 stops being so. My own goal at this point is more like 20-25 by Christmas and so long as I keep losing regularly and feel like I have a sustainable plan and feel good doing it, I'll be happy.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sarah, I started March 10 and have lost 52 lbs in just about twenty weeks. I eat around 1400 cals a day and eat more on workout days. I exercise 4 hours of cardio, HIIT, weight training and bike riding each week. My planned deficit of around 1000 calories per day has me consistently losing 2lbs every week. The first couple of weeks were much higher. I started at 246, I am 5-2 so I did have more to lose, but it is possible. Good luck to you!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Yes, its possible, although as you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss may slow down which is very normal. I would say aim for 1.5lbs loss every week, which you should be able to achieve by cutting 500 calories from your intake every day, and exercising for about 250 calories every day. If you overachieve and lose more than 1.5lbs a week some weeks, great, but the 1.5lbs I would consider a reasonable and achievable target, although it will require your focus and won't be effortless.

The real key though is sustainability, and staying the course. For me that comes down to a few things, namely having the right foods to eat, not being starving so I can stick to the plan, and also reining my competitive side in that might otherwise sabotage long term gains by some short term idiocy like cutting calories too much or burning myself out so there would be days I would not be able to exercise.

Just form a plan of attack that you think will see you the distance, even if you just need to plan enough now to get started, and figure the rest of it out as you go along. Break down your goals, so for example, you're 14st 4lbs now, so for your first goal aim to reach 14st, then maybe 13st 7lbs after that, and so on. Building momentum can be invaluable and little victories can be priceless, as some giant number can be a little bit of a faceless target, but if you're focussing on just one step at at time, it can be much mroe achievable.

Re: hunger, I'm finding lowering my carbs is helping me a lot in that regard. Also dialling back the sugar, and thus any associated cravings from it, I'm finding is helping too. Other people take different approaches so its about what you feel will work for you, but the end goal is the same - losing weight by having a plan you can stick to :)

Good luck with your weight loss, and who knows where you may be by Christmas! :)
  • mondak757
    mondak757 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have lost 31 pounds in 12 weeks, so it is possible. That being said I was bitten HARD by the fitness bug and workout at least 5 days a week around 1.5-2 hours a day (I am on summer break from law school so I am sure that will change come Sept)...GO FOR IT!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started at the beginning of January and am in the 40 lb. lost range. So that's around 29 weeks, I think. I eat an average of 1800 calories a day and workout for 60-75 minutes six days a week.
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, its possible, although as you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss may slow down which is very normal. I would say aim for 1.5lbs loss every week, which you should be able to achieve by cutting 500 calories from your intake every day, and exercising for about 250 calories every day. If you overachieve and lose more than 1.5lbs a week some weeks, great, but the 1.5lbs I would consider a reasonable and achievable target, although it will require your focus and won't be effortless.

The real key though is sustainability, and staying the course. For me that comes down to a few things, namely having the right foods to eat, not being starving so I can stick to the plan, and also reining my competitive side in that might otherwise sabotage long term gains by some short term idiocy like cutting calories too much or burning myself out so there would be days I would not be able to exercise.

Just form a plan of attack that you think will see you the distance, even if you just need to plan enough now to get started, and figure the rest of it out as you go along. Break down your goals, so for example, you're 14st 4lbs now, so for your first goal aim to reach 14st, then maybe 13st 7lbs after that, and so on. Building momentum can be invaluable and little victories can be priceless, as some giant number can be a little bit of a faceless target, but if you're focussing on just one step at at time, it can be much mroe achievable.

Re: hunger, I'm finding lowering my carbs is helping me a lot in that regard. Also dialling back the sugar, and thus any associated cravings from it, I'm finding is helping too. Other people take different approaches so its about what you feel will work for you, but the end goal is the same - losing weight by having a plan you can stick to :)

Good luck with your weight loss, and who knows where you may be by Christmas! :)

One of the best posts I've seen on here since I joined.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    96 days and 35 pounds, so I don't see why not. I walk an hour EVERY day. 1200 cal, my carbs are kept under 100g per day and my sugar (including fruit) is under 20.

edit: oops, 37, forgot about the 2 this week!

Also, there are weeks when there is no change, but I don't let it get to me.
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Options
    losing lbs a week is healthy weigh tloss. 22 X 3 = 66 lbs. So 40 lbs in 22 weeks is not bad actually. It is doable. I lost 80lbs in 9 months which is 36 weeks while on a 1200 calorie per day diet.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week for 22 weeks= 44 pounds.

Looks realistic to me.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To lose one pound in a week, one must generally cut/burn roughly 3500 calories, which is ~500 calories a day. To lose two pounds in a week, double it. Creating a 1000 caloric deficit every day will take some serious planning & determination.

Is it do-able? Yeah, but sustained ~2lb/week weight loss over a long period of time is quite aggressive/optimistic.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    from January till Now I have lost 21lbs I hit rut in April and have not picked up loosing 1lb a week. My coworker has lost 41 in that time by sticking to her diet and working out at least 4 days a week.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that it depends on your current body composition... IF you have a decent amount of muscle mass v Fat mass. then it might be a challenge, ..what am I saying... The only thing your goal depends on is YOU... remain faithful and accurate to your caloric intake, and ramp up cardio to a min of 5 hours/week ( in at least 45 minute sessions ) and you should cross the finish line in style
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It is VERY realistic! If you're eating to lose 2lbs per week, and this is assuming you are adding regular exercise. HOWEVER, your body will do as it pleases, so if you lose a bit less than your goal, please do not be discouraged! You can and WILL get there. Setting a time limit will encourage you to work hard, and that's a great thing. Just make sure you're staying healthy and not starving yourself. If you don't hit that goal, you'll be damn close! But I'm going to be positive and say YES YOU WILL, and YES YOU CAN! Good luck hun! :smile: