Hunger

Options
TXPaul
TXPaul Posts: 74 Member
I'm trying to do the right thing and follow my calorie intake plan but how do I keep from being hungry all the time. Will it get better with time?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you alloted?
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Eat protein rich foods for your calories, or high fiber ones.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i keep from getting hungry by eating small meals every 2 1/2 hours. works great except on heavy workout days - if i get hungry early, i eat half a greek yogurt or have a half a scoop of protein drink.

it's always possible you're not eating enough calories.
  • TXPaul
    Options
    1960....It sounds like a lot but it doesn't feel like it!
  • ailweni
    ailweni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Unbuttered popcorn works great as a tummy filler, and it's low in calories. Usually, you can get 3-4 cups of popcorn and only eat 100 calories.
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat some protein for every meal. That really helps me keep from feeling like I'm starving. The first 4 or 5 days were the hardest for me but once my body got used to eating fewer calories and I made sure to eat protein for each meal (even if it's just some chopped hard boiled egg in a salad) I felt much better.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Are you set to lose 2lbs a week? If you dial it back to 1.5 lbs a week it will give you a little bit more calories. Hard to say without knowing your measurements and your diary is closed. Stats?
  • TXPaul
    Options
    I'm not sure why my diary is closed. I'll have to check into that.

I set it up for a target of 1 pound a week. This week I only managed .4. I missed my target a couple of days and haven't had a chance to exercise. it makes a big difference.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating refined carbohydrates and got off the sugar roller coaster. It made a big difference because it stopped my cravings which are false hunger. I eat high fiber and nutrient rich carbs like whole grain crackers, bran cereal and beans, fruits etc. with protein and healthy fats so my blood sugar never dips. So I do eat when I am hungry. I snack on almonds, low sugar yoghurt, low fat cheese sticks in between meals since I am in and out of the pool several times a day and would be starving if I didn't snack. Replacing foods with low nutrition and high calories with really nutritious foods is fueling my body better. Good luck!
  • mrsmolisee
    mrsmolisee Posts: 11
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. Im at 1350 a day calorie intake and light exercise. And im starving.ive atayed in my allotment past 3 days and I usually dont eat breakfast but now I'm waking up beyond hungry
  • jferg70
    jferg70 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Boom! You nailed it, Water_Gal.....get off the refined SUGAR. Get your sugar from natural sources like fresh fruits. The key to nutrition is balance of lean proteins, good carbs, and healthy fats. Eat clean and stay away from processed foods and refined sugars.
  • amandawillard3551
    Options
    I just try to keep busy with chores and if I really feel hungry, I go for a walk round the block. I guess it's about not giving in to any cravings and reminding ourselves why we want to loose the weight. Keep strong :)
  • jferg70
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. Im at 1350 a day calorie intake and light exercise. And im starving.ive atayed in my allotment past 3 days and I usually dont eat breakfast but now I'm waking up beyond hungry

I can't stress this enough....you HAVE to eat breakfast. Your body is an engine and it needs fuel, good fuel. if your car sputters and quits when it runs out of gas, how do we think our bodies will react when we don't put fuel in them. Think of your metabolism like a fire...you have to put wood on the fire (fuel) to make it burn.

Trust me, if you eat 5-6 small, balanced and healthy meals spread out throughout the day and throw in 30 minutes of getting your heart rate elevated, you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel and the weight will start dropping off.

Give it a shot for a few weeks and let me know how it goes. Remember, it's a lifestyle and not a diet. Slow and steady wins the race. ;)
  • mrsmolisee
    mrsmolisee Posts: 11
    Options

I can't stress this enough....you HAVE to eat breakfast. Your body is an engine and it needs fuel, good fuel. if your car sputters and quits when it runs out of gas, how do we think our bodies will react when we don't put fuel in them. Think of your metabolism like a fire...you have to put wood on the fire (fuel) to make it burn.

Trust me, if you eat 5-6 small, balanced and healthy meals spread out throughout the day and throw in 30 minutes of getting your heart rate elevated, you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel and the weight will start dropping off.

Give it a shot for a few weeks and let me know how it goes. Remember, it's a lifestyle and not a diet. Slow and steady wins the race. ;)

ill give it a shot. I have horrible stomach issues and thats a huge reason why I have swayed away from breakfast ever since grade school.usually only eat dinner and maybe lunch with like 2 small snacks but my main meal has alwaya been dinner cuz im safe at home.ill give this a ahot though and fingers crossed it dont kill me ;)
  • jferg70
    Options

ill give it a shot. I have horrible stomach issues and thats a huge reason why I have swayed away from breakfast ever since grade school.usually only eat dinner and maybe lunch with like 2 small snacks but my main meal has alwaya been dinner cuz im safe at home.ill give this a ahot though and fingers crossed it dont kill me ;)

Start small and ease your way into it. Good luck!
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It gets better with time. First week is always hell.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat at any particular times or cut out foods.

What worked for me was to make sure I had plenty of protein (I aim for roughly .8 g per goal weight lbs, on the theory that's an okay proxy for lean mass), to try and get protein, fat, and vegetables at each meal, and have plenty of volume on the plate. I like eating three times a day and not snacking, since I'm not hungry outside of mealtime and like satisfying meals and find snacking a pain, and I like breakfast because I get up early and have time, but both of those vary from person to person and you should experiment.

I had a dramatic increase in how satisfied I felt from my food despite cutting calories back by focusing especially on protein and vegetables and avoiding primarily carb based meals, although I'm not low carb.

It also helps to pay attention to when you are feeling hunger and adjust if needed.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fast metabolism diet by Haylie Pomroy. You do not starve on this diet. I eat a lot but have already lost about 4 pounds and I have only been on this diet since last Monday. For those who say it is too much weight I say you're wrong. Read the book and you'll see why. I know for the most part it would seem to fast, but you have to realize this stokes your metabolis and kind of re-boots it so you burn the fat you are eating and have been storing. Also I have lost 2 inches around my waist.

Good luck.
  • AMahfouz67
    AMahfouz67 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unbuttered popcorn works great as a tummy filler, and it's low in calories. Usually, you can get 3-4 cups of popcorn and only eat 100 calories.

^^ good to know because I always need a filler and something to snack on at work! Thanks
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the right thing and follow my calorie intake plan but how do I keep from being hungry all the time. Will it get better with time?

You just have to live with it until your stomach shrinks and your brain gets used to it.

Water helps.