For the ladies...

Options
How do you manage to control youre cravings when your favorite aunt (flow) is in town? All I want is chocolate and soda! Its horrible, mother nature has a twisted sense of humor!

Replies

• TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I do a good job at that. I've read that if one goes very low carb for the week prior, the cravings will ease up. I did that ONE month and it did work, to some degree.

In reality, I don't do that -- I just permit myself to eat more carbs (which is what I crave) than I typically do, just working to keep them complex (sweet potatoes, instead of white potatoes, etc.) and when I get to my calorie limit, I stop just like I do on any other day. Well... usually! :)
  • deblyons2006
    Options
    I keep chocolate sugar free jello in the refrigerator. 60 calories per serving. Not exactly what you may be craving, but it may just work for you!!
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    OMG!!! I am right there with you! I am on a chocolate and salt binge! (those are my two cravings and they have to alternate) The chocolate is not so bad, but the salt is a killer because it makes me retain so much water. I have been trying to feed my cravings but just enough to kick them. Tonight I had an "attack" and I ate 3 mini pretzles dipped (barely not covered) in nutella. And I feel good. But I don't know... I hope there is a lot of response. I was really hoping to lose some weight this week but nope:cry: .... and I am sure it is the excess salt. Seriously... I will eat salt right out of my hand during this time of the month. Which is good because there is no calories in it, but BAD BAD BAD for me in sodium and water weight. (among other things.) I am proud of myself I work in a hotel that has fresh chocolate chip cookies in the evening that I have to bake and make available to the guest. I have not had one this whole month!:wink: good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I typically don't allow myself sugar or simple carbs so the cravings aren't as bad as they used to be for me. I also take magnesium everyday and that has helped immensely! That said, if I really want something I will have it. I just make sure I log it and I don't overdo it. I have found if I just indulge a little bit then I come out ahead in the end. If I try to avoid it I tend to end up eating all kinds of other things trying to satisfy that craving!

Just remember, You bite it, you write it!
  • lovesyoga7154
    Options
    Make smarter substitutions! I get around my chocolate cravings with super dark (80%) vegan dark chocolate (like endangered species or Trader joe's 85% dark) or dark chocolate almonds. The vegan chocolate does not have milk or milk solids in it so it is lower in calories and sugar as a result and is packed with micro nutrients and antioxidants. And we all know how good for us almonds are, I portion out a 1/4 cup into a sandwich bag at the beginning of the day (about 10 almonds) and when I need a fix I pop one into my mouth and let the chocolate dissolve slowly before munching the almond. Or mix up some plain organic greek yogurt with a drizzle of corn syrup free chocolate syrup. I don't get cravings for soda during my cycle...but I did have a wicked soda addiction in college a tool that helped me kick it was mixing 100% no sugar added fruit juices with carbonated water you get the sweet and the fizz without the corn syrup or aspartame or calcium leeching phosphoric acids.
    Remember we all have "bad" days...don't let them derail you or get you down... 1 double fudge brownie on that one day of the month when you just HAVE to have it never made anyone fat....1 double fudge brownie EVERY day of the month because you can did!
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I buy the 100 calories pack of dark chocolate bars from Traders Joe's when my chocolate craving gets bad that time of the month. It only has 8 grams of fat and I can have one without blowing my calorie or fat intake for the day while taming the beast within!
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just eat the chocolate in moderation and try to switch to diet soda for that week if you can stand it. When you are on your cycle your body actually loses an enzyme that is found in the cocoa bean and thus the reason we crave chocolate...our bodies actually need it. Just pick your favorite kind have a small amount when the craving rears it;s ugly head, follow it with a big glass of water and find something else to do to keep your mind off of it. Also, if the chocolate is not easily accessible and is most definitly out of sight, it is A LOT easier. Just remember why you are here =)
    Good Luck

Or you can try "no pudge brownie mix" which you mix with nonfat vanilla yogurt in a single serving or smaller! A very small amount of the batter (which you can eat cuz there is not any raw egg) is enough chocolate to last a while!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I typically just try to stay as strong as possible. When I'm weak I break my snack times into even smaller sections so I'm eating more times and it satiates the crazings but I'm not taking in any additional calories.

As far as really great ways to calm the chocolate without going too far into the world of bad, Vitalicious VitaTops come in a chocolate that's pretty readily available at Target and really chocolatey and tasty. Also, the No Pudge Fudge Brownies that can be made by the single serving are good for those "cakey" cravings. If you're an ice cream person try taking a look for Arctic Zero, they have Chocolate Peanut Butter, Mint Chocolate Cookie (my favorite), Chocolate and Cookies and Cream. You can eat an entire pint of the Arctic Zero for 150 calories. (or have it in normal servings as well, of course)