exercise callories

Options
Where do I add them on?
I generally exercise at night and don't know how much I will do until its done
Should I plan ahead more?
Can I add them to the next day?
Start exercising in the morning?
I don't want to just add them all to my dinner it would be too much food at once.

Replies

• ChelsChels88
    Options
    I guess I asked a little late at night. Anyone here now?
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    As soon as your done, head over to "Diary" - add exercise then search for what you did, Run, Walk, Football, Cricket etc it's all there, add it, the amount of time you did it for (it will calculate the calories automatically) and you're done. Also you SHOULD be eating back those calories.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie count for calories eaten? Unless it's under 1200, you don't have to eat back your exercise calories unless you want to (depending on your current weight, 1200 can be too low for some people, especially those who still have a lot to lose). And then I would not recommend eating back more than half because people often underestimate how much they eat and overestimate how much they burn.
  • Ixia1970
    Ixia1970 Posts: 4
    Options
    You don't have to eat back those calories if you don't want to...There are no rules around this set in stone, although MFP does encourage you to do so. Eating back exercise calories works for some, whilst it doesn't for others. I certainly don't eat them back , but that is entirely my choice. You need to do what is right for you..Good luck on your weightloss journey.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Just plan a little better. If you know you typically burn around 250 calories, then add in 250 calories throughout your day, or have ice cream or dessert at night. Whatever tickles your fancy. You don't necessarily have to change your workout schedule unless you want to.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    As soon as your done, head over to "Diary" - add exercise then search for what you did, Run, Walk, Football, Cricket etc it's all there, add it, the amount of time you did it for (it will calculate the calories automatically) and you're done. Also you SHOULD be eating back those calories.

Yep. Though I personally don't eat back my calories unless I'm very hungry. Depends on your goal however.
  • ChelsChels88
    Options
    Thank you very very much everyone :-)
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to eat ALL of my exercise calories back but will sometimes use some of them.

I don't know if anyone else finds this but MFP dramatically OVER estimates the mount of cals used during exercise and I will tend to use my HRM as it is far more accurate
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories back. If you're working out late then just eat close to what your goal is before exercise. IDKW ppl on here keep telling ppl tryin gto lose weight to eat so much. You need a deficit to lose so don't eat them back. Good luck.
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had just asked about this yesterday.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories back. If you're working out late then just eat close to what your goal is before exercise. IDKW ppl on here keep telling ppl tryin gto lose weight to eat so much. You need a deficit to lose so don't eat them back. Good luck.

Your calorie goal is already at a deficit.

OP, eat them back when you can. However if it's MFP's burns, or even a machine's, it will be an overestimation and you should only eat back 50-75%. I tend to eat back most of mine, but my numbers come from my HRM and Fitbit, which are more accurate.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie count for calories eaten? Unless it's under 1200, you don't have to eat back your exercise calories unless you want to (depending on your current weight, 1200 can be too low for some people, especially those who still have a lot to lose). And then I would not recommend eating back more than half because people often underestimate how much they eat and overestimate how much they burn.

Seriously? This is the most ridiculous, uneducated comment I've read in a long time. So you are saying that if someone has eaten 1200 calories and then exercises and burns off 300 that's ok? They are still at 1200calories for the day? Wrong.....that means they have only fueled their body with 900calories for the day and that isn't enough for a 10yr child. MFP has a set in deficit already, so at 1200 calories a day you will lose weight without exercising. You need to eat back exercise calories so that you are at the 1200 or you will be way below a healthy level. Personally I don't believe 1200 is healthy anyways...it's still too low for an active adult.

To OP......you can calculate your calories a different way. Instead of having your base calories set off of no activity or light activity, calculate them with your exercise already worked into your daily goals. Set your activity level to moderate or high whatever it might be and then this will give you a set amount of calories that you eat everyday and you don't have to worry about how many calories you've burned and need to eat back.

For example, I have my activity set at moderate and it says my calorie goal is something like 1800-1900cal/day. When I exercise I can then log my activity but change the calories burn to 1 and not worry about fitting those burned calories back into my day because they are already there.