• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    fat-vs-muscle_zps1bd5db49.jpg

Fat takes up more space.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    BMI sucks... When I start eating again, I'm gonna bulk\recomp, then go to my docs and make him cry....

I'm close to being off the scale for BMI... Am nearly there!! :D
  • jonathanrubens
    Options
    So, in order to bulk up even more I should eat more and avoid watching the scale for a while and not care for the BMI? Even if I pass the overweight limit? The thing is, I want to get bigger and more shredded and at the same time I don't want to be overweight... it's a crappy dilemma because I know I need to eat more and I know that if I ate any less I'd pass out (it happened to me before a couple of times for not eating enough and dehydration). That's another thing, I drink way too little during the day, just past afternoon and still not so much, like maybe 1L of water a day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    So, in order to bulk up even more I should eat more and avoid watching the scale for a while and not care for the BMI? Even if I pass the overweight limit? The thing is, I want to get bigger and more shredded and at the same time I don't want to be overweight... it's a crappy dilemma because I know I need to eat more and I know that if I ate any less I'd pass out (it happened to me before a couple of times for not eating enough and dehydration). That's another thing, I drink way too little during the day, just past afternoon and still not so much, like maybe 1L of water a day.

Ignore the weight and BMI numbers. They do not apply to weightlifters.
    Work it out somehow to drink a little more than a liter a day.
  • jonathanrubens
    Options

Ignore the weight and BMI numbers. They do not apply to weightlifters.
    Work it out somehow to drink a little more than a liter a day.

Gotcha, so should I just avoid the scale and keep working out, running and exercise and drink more? After being VERY overweight, you know, I'm worried about going back to the 'overweight' side, after so much effort, but I guess if it's muscle and being much fitter I'll give it a go :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Dude - what you are explaining about yourself is disordered eating on the way to an eating disorder. I am a 5'6" woman who is eating around 1880 calories and I exercise way less than you do. And I'm losing weight. You are going to hurt yourself with how you are eating. It's VERY unhealthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

Read these.
  • jonathanrubens
    Options
    Dude - what you are explaining about yourself is disordered eating on the way to an eating disorder. I am a 5'6" woman who is eating around 1880 calories and I exercise way less than you do. And I'm losing weight. You are going to hurt yourself with how you are eating. It's VERY unhealthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

Read these.
    There's no doubt it's unhealthy, I've known that for a couple of months now. I did have an actual eating disorder (can't discuss it here, it's unpleasant), now it's better. I've been told that because of my little eating and drinking for so long my body is clinging to what it's got and I'd be happy to eat more calories but... how? I mean should I eat more carbs or more fatty foods? My body is so used to so little that I don't know if I can take it right away. Although I could lose weight this way, I don't really know. And, like I said, I am now muscular (not super muscular, but muscular) and I want to be MORE muscular and more shredded, which means (and I don't know) that I'll lose or gain weight. All I know is that after months of running I lost weight, after a few months of running AND weight lifting and bodybuilding exercising I gained weight but my chest is bigger and waist and belly smaller. I just don't get it although the muscle to fat comparison picture makes perfect sense.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    OP, you have way too much going on from attempting to read your posts. I think taking a moment to step back and take stock of everything would probably be helpful, as it seems you're caught up in a frenetic cycle at the moment, and when you've so much going on it can be difficult to see the cause and effects of any of the things you are doing, as its all just a big jumble.

If I were in your place, I would be inclined to break it all down, ie diet/ exercise/ nutrient needs/ etc, and look at each individually, and see if they are fit for purpose, helping you achieve your goals, and sustainable. You will benefit much more from a co-ordinated approach towards your health and fitness goals, much more than just trying to cram in as much as possible, which seems to be what you're doing right now.
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    yes, I've had this conversation with friends… I lift and do lots of squats… clothes get loose and fall nicely over smooth and tight muscle and scale moves to a higher number… I've gained 9 pounds and yet my pants keep falling off… go figure! :P
    am so happy to see this. am overjoyed really. i stopped using the scale when i saw 5 pounds gain since i started lifting and squatting. was pissed until i used the measuring tape and saw some inches were off my four focal points.
  • jonathanrubens
    Options
    OP, you have way too much going on from attempting to read your posts. I think taking a moment to step back and take stock of everything would probably be helpful, as it seems you're caught up in a frenetic cycle at the moment, and when you've so much going on it can be difficult to see the cause and effects of any of the things you are doing, as its all just a big jumble.

If I were in your place, I would be inclined to break it all down, ie diet/ exercise/ nutrient needs/ etc, and look at each individually, and see if they are fit for purpose, helping you achieve your goals, and sustainable. You will benefit much more from a co-ordinated approach towards your health and fitness goals, much more than just trying to cram in as much as possible, which seems to be what you're doing right now.

That is true, alas. I'll do what I can then :) Thank you all for your helpful replies!:smile:
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you should talk to a dietician or a doctor, because they could give you some much better advice and help with your diet. You sound like you have very disordered eating habits, and professional guidance could really help you.
  • HaidaB
    HaidaB Posts: 8
    Options
    BMI = useless if you have any muscle at all.
    Not entirely true: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28363129
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    If you want to track something, track your body fat %. At this point, its a more useful measurement than your weight.
  • jonathanrubens
    Options
    I honestly think you should talk to a dietician or a doctor, because they could give you some much better advice and help with your diet. You sound like you have very disordered eating habits, and professional guidance could really help you.
    That's what I'm gonna do next, indeed. :) Thanks again! I'll let you know :D
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    They ( as in those who work in the medical field) are now saying waist size is more important than BMI in predicting future health problems etc. I noticed WebMD has both BMI and second scale/chart based on waist size. I researched this recently one because I'm still considered obese on BMI and two out of curiosity ...Most weight lifters ( men anyway) tend to be considered overweight or obese based on BMI's. Hope this answers your questions.
  • xenabobb
    xenabobb Posts: 1
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are obsessing over arbitrary numbers instead of paying attention to what counts: you have lost fat and replaced it with muscle mass. You seem to be happier now with how your body looks; use that as your way of judging health instead of BMI. Eating enough to maintain strength so you can continue your workout routine is imperative! I must caution that what I am reading sounds like you are dangerously close to - if not already victim to - an eating disorder. Please see a doctor.

By the way, if you look anything at all like your avatar photo, you are in great physical shape and can totally tell BMI to suck it!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    BMI = useless if you have any muscle at all.
    Not entirely true: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28363129

I didn't read it in detail (TL:DR) but it seems to discuss why different cyclists favour different muscles and therefore have different bodyfat percentages and BMI's. It doesn't explain why BMI takes into account total weight rather than differentiating between LBM and fat. Or did I miss that part 'cos I CBA to read it all (hey, its Friday)
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

First of, I want to explain my situation: basically, in the last 2 months, I have gained 5-6 lbs. I have been eating super healthy (chicken, mostly, veggies, eggs), counting calories etc, but drinking much more water and exercising a LOT, running 1 hour every day, sit ups, push ups, squats and so much more exercise with very heavy dumbells every single day. Now all my pants are way looser BUT my scale says I've gained 5-6 lbs and therefore exceeding the BMI normal weight and drifting slowly into overweight (by 1 lb or 2). I want to get ripped and big and here's the dilemma: should I still care for the BMI or should I keep working out like a beast every day (but Sundays) and keep gaining weight and therefore being 'overweight'? Of course I know it's mostly water and in order to stay within the normal BMI weight I am trying not to eat much and just drink a lot. But that won't make me bigger and stronger. Also, I can only eat dinner, I can't during the day for many reasons that I can't explain here. What should I do? Again, should I still care for BMI? Or should I start eating more carbs for more energy and muscle gain?

Thanks in advance!
    REPEAT AFTER ME: NEVER CARE ABOUT BMI. BMI IS USELESS.
    even in people who dont lift people never tell how much a person holds fat and muscle.. i have actually seen people of my weight way heavier than me.. and its all because of high fat .. i dont do any weightlifting just cardio
  • jonathanrubens
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are obsessing over arbitrary numbers instead of paying attention to what counts: you have lost fat and replaced it with muscle mass. You seem to be happier now with how your body looks; use that as your way of judging health instead of BMI. Eating enough to maintain strength so you can continue your workout routine is imperative! I must caution that what I am reading sounds like you are dangerously close to - if not already victim to - an eating disorder. Please see a doctor.

By the way, if you look anything at all like your avatar photo, you are in great physical shape and can totally tell BMI to suck it!

Yeah I'm kind of obsessing over that, like you said. I have had an actual eating disorder (I can privately talk about it but, you know, not here) and got mostly out of it, not completely though. That picture was taken 2 weeks ago, I am in better shape now actually :) Thanks!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    From what you're saying here, you need help.

Head over to the Gaining Weight forum. Tell them your height and weight and fitness goals. If you know your %body fat, tell them that, too. Tell them your current exercise routine and diet. Tell them you had an ED and are improving, but still dealing with it.

There are experienced people over there who can help you set up a reasonable diet and exercise program and can tell you what to expect out of it. There are also several people who have recovered from or are still recovering from EDs, and can help you with that aspect.

Good luck.