Real or Fake?

Options
Hello Everyone!

In your opinion what do you think is better -- the real stuff or fake alternatives? When it comes to choosing things like sweeteners, coffee creamer, butter, margarine, anything, do you choose the fat free, sugar free, low fat, ect option or do you go for the real deal all natural stuff.

I would love to hear your individual thoughts on this topic and what you choose for yourself.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    whatever has the best macro breakdown (tends to be the natural stuff, but not always). i gave up on distinguishing between processed and unprocessed awhile ago, everything nowadays has something in it that could kill you, so i just base it off nutritional content
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Butter is better than margirine. Coconut oil is better than both butter and margirine.Sugar free sweeteners are OK in small amounts.

If you're craving sweets, there are tons of ways to make things taste just as good by following certain recepies. I do a lot of this kind of thing and it's made a huge difference this year. I pretty much don't cheat at all because I don't get cravings since I'm eating tastey deserts that are actually not bad for me.

I follow a lot of this guy's recipies: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?65240-the-solutions-recipe-thread
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    there are lots of fat free foods that aren't "fake" or processed. i like fage 0% non-fat yogurt, and i often sweeten with stevia, and special foods with a little xylitol. while neither are sugar, both are all natural, not created in a lab. and for the most part, i eat based on nutritional content, also.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm going with real! Give me real sugars......real butters and real boobs. Wait....that was part of the question, right :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    there are lots of fat free foods that aren't "fake" or processed. i like fage 0% non-fat yogurt, and i often sweeten with stevia, and special foods with a little xylitol. while neither are sugar, both are all natural, not created in a lab. and for the most part, i eat based on nutritional content, also.
    I eat that fage 0% everyday!
  • nsaglian
    nsaglian Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Real cream in coffee, with Splenda!
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm going with real! Give me real sugars......real butters and real boobs. Wait....that was part of the question, right :drinker: :flowerforyou:

HA! ^^ This!
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was on Weight Watchers, I was obsessed with ALWAYS having the lowest-calorie option (artificially sweetened yogurts, fat-free cheeses, "light" everything etc.). When I joined MFP, I realized there was more to life than worrying about low-cal/fat-free all the time and that I COULD eat full-fat "real" foods within my daily calorie allowance/macros. As long as you watch your portions and log it, butter IS better!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For myself it depends on the food. I am not afraid of processed foods but I tend to make up my meals with unprocessed items and use the processed foods as extras. I use coffee whitener because I am lactose intolerant, I prefer margarine as a spread but butter for cooking and I am not afraid of using Splenda in my coffee because I don't like to drink a lot of calories. It saves room for more "real" foods. I believe in everything in moderation. It has worked for me anyway.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I thought there would be boobs here.
    15zi0ch.gif
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I like real boobies.

I like fake boobies.

I like boobies.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I thought there would be boobs here.
    15zi0ch.gif

+1
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely real!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I like real boobies.

I like fake boobies.

I like boobies.
    QFT
    I'm all Dr Seuss about it

big or small, I love them all.....would I could I on a train? on a plane? by a goat? motorboat?? \m/
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Depends on what my calorie and macro allowance is at that moment.

I love Pringles, but can't justify the calories for so little nutrition. I buy the fat free - still get the crunch and salt, with only a fraction of the calories.

Ice cream? Full fat, all the way.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    Real cream in coffee, with Splenda!

Same... well real half and half and splenda.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I go for the real stuff, natural ingredients whenever I can. I just try and control portions.

Good luck! :)
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread is also the name of a people watching game my husband and I play when we go to vegas.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is. I refuse to compromise on cheese. Lowfat cheese is gross. Also, ice cream and sweets in general. If I'm splurging on dessert I want the real thing. :)

But I do go with sugar substitutes in my coffee, lower sugar instant oatmeal, lighter salad dressings, and some things like that. We use real butter, but I only use it for cooking.