Rethinking my goals

Options
My original weight goals were to hit my pre-seroquel weight of 155 lbs, and then work toward a lower 135 lbs. Today I've been rethinking it, and considering sticking with getting down to 155 (maybe 145-150??) and then focus more on muscle tone and maintenance. I feel this would be a less stressful and possibly healthier choice for me, but I can't help but feel a little... well weak, for reducing my overall goal. I guess I'm just looking for some opinions and validation on this? I'm 5'7 by the way.

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You can't know your ideal weight till you reach it. You can only estimate in advance, subject to reassessment. Then, fine-tune your goal when you narrow it down to the last few pounds.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my goal is to be between 145 and 140. It's a weight I know that I'll be able to maintain for life without having to starve myself (which would be bad and which I've done in my stupid youth). I am almost there and my plan is to start doing body recomposition as soon as I'm close to 140 or when Nov 1 comes, which ever comes soonest. I'd rather be a weight for life and enjoy doing things I enjoy (cooking and eating) than try to be a lot thinner. (Quite honestly, if I didn't lose any more weight and just became a bit more muscular, I'd be happy with that too)

p.s. Choosing to not try to get to that other goal is not weak especially as you're looking at as something that would cause less stress and be healthier.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You can't know your ideal weight till you reach it. You can only estimate in advance, subject to reassessment. Then, fine-tune your goal when you narrow it down to the last few pounds.

X2

In my experience, the people that set difficult but achievable goals and then reach them are seldom satisfied with just staying where they are. They know that they have the willpower to seek and achieve even greater ones. So once you get to your goal weight...take a good hard look at your outself and then again at your innerself..that is, what do you want to achieve? Do you wish to have a swimmers body..lean and tight? A bodybuilding, musclar and streamlined. A runners, fit and functional...you get my drift. The options are endless..and with diet and training...and most important, will power...achievable. Reach that first step and see where the path leads you...chances are the you of 5 years from now never say it comming.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Reducing your goal is not a bad idea when you want ot get into toning :)
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would set incremental goals. What is the highest weight you'd like to be? Once you achieve that, you can decide if you like the way you look or if you want to lose a few more pounds.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why even set a weight goal rather than a fitness or body composition goal?
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would set incremental goals. What is the highest weight you'd like to be? Once you achieve that, you can decide if you like the way you look or if you want to lose a few more pounds.

and why not work on the muscle building whilst losing why do people think they have to hit a certain weight before lifting weights?
  • Foreverfitnow
    Foreverfitnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options

X2

In my experience, the people that set difficult but achievable goals and then reach them are seldom satisfied with just staying where they are. They know that they have the willpower to seek and achieve even greater ones. So once you get to your goal weight...take a good hard look at your outself and then again at your innerself..that is, what do you want to achieve? Do you wish to have a swimmers body..lean and tight? A bodybuilding, musclar and streamlined. A runners, fit and functional...you get my drift. The options are endless..and with diet and training...and most important, will power...achievable. Reach that first step and see where the path leads you...chances are the you of 5 years from now never say it comming.

^^^
    Perfectly said, IMO. Your outlook changes as you transform. The number on the scale becomes less important than how you feel about your body and your health. Your decision to change your goal is a realistic one, and should serve to help you reassess where you want to be, especially from a health standpoint. Good for you to be thinking like this!! Good Luck!! :-)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I reassess my goals all the time. Once you get to where you think you want to be, take a look at yourself and decide. There's no set rule that says you have to stick with a specific number.
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am right here with you. I've dropped 70lbs (currently 195lbs) and am about 10lbs from my ultimate goal weight. I feel a bit guilty when I start to look at moving to maintenance calories instead of continuing the cut. Almost like I'm failing.... But the thing is, I want to grow some muscle. I want to work on my core. I've got some belly fat, and I'm not convinced it's going to go away and look good by just dieting or my cardio routines.

What I'm confused with is, should I continue eating at a 1.5lbs / week loss as I start to lift? Also... Should I just add the weight lifting to my 90minute cardio routine 5/days a week or replace it?

I'm meeting with a PT Tuesday, and hope to get some better answers. Either way, I think at a certain point the journey was all
    About weightloss cause weight was the catalyst to start. Eventually it becomes about much more, and that transition is... Awkward for a bit. Good luck!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Why even set a weight goal rather than a fitness or body composition goal?

I agree!

Make the image (body) you want the goal.

Set the appropriate macros and proper training program to reach that goal!

Keep looking in the mirror till you like what you see.

Then IF you want, at that point, hop on a scale and see what your weight is.

Goals will change all the time, dictated by all kinds of circumstances and life in general.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about changing your goals... I started lifting, and hit a point where I couldn't eat any less and still have the energy to lift so even though I'm 10 lbs short of my goal of 190 I'm ok with it... I've also lowered my body fat % (not by much) even though I haven't lost any weight... it's slow I admit, and certainly not as rewarding as losing 50+ lbs was but I had to decide which was more important at this point... maybe when I hit some of my lifting goals I'll worry about losing weight again...
  • Squishy_hapa_mama
    Squishy_hapa_mama Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally get it! I am much more concerned with overall appearance then a number on the scale. I think you know your body and desires best!
    70469741.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter