What can I do to curb my persistent food cravings??

Options
I'm finding it extremely difficult to stick to healthy eating habits and staying active and I've found it difficult to do so for the past couple of years. I've gained a bit of weight in the past couple of years, and I'm not particularly happy about it. I find that thinking about it causes me to eat more and would say and admit that I turn to food for comfort. I joined My Fitness Pal because I think it will help me lose the extra weight, but I am finding it extremely difficult to not turn to food for comfort. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do? What can I do if I feel the urge to eat something? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Load up on water, I find for myself at least if I'm feeling hungry that I'm actually thirsty and water at least fills you up for a time so you can tell if you;'re really hungry or if it was just a passing craving from some sort of trigger.
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it extremely difficult to stick to healthy eating habits and staying active and I've found it difficult to do so for the past couple of years. I've gained a bit of weight in the past couple of years, and I'm not particularly happy about it. I find that thinking about it causes me to eat more and would say and admit that I turn to food for comfort. I joined My Fitness Pal because I think it will help me lose the extra weight, but I am finding it extremely difficult to not turn to food for comfort. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do? What can I do if I feel the urge to eat something? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

I don't know if this is the best advice, but sometimes when I want to eat I will have something carbonated, like diet soda, or something. It makes me feel less hungry, and the flavor makes me feel like I'm taking in something significant. It's a start, and then I can fill in the gaps with water, &/or vegetables.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Flavoured tea! It tricks my brain into thinking it's something much more awesome (ie, a dessert I shouldn't be eating!). :bigsmile:
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As a comfort eater I try to work out when I feel the urge to emotionally eat. Then if I still feel that hunger pang I'll seek out the healthiest food choice. Sometimes I can't do that because I have that crunchy salty urge or something, so I will portion out 1/2 a serving to a full serving but no more and take it out of the kitchen to eat. Then if I still feel that way I drink a glass of water and make myself wait 20 or so minutes.

For staying active I become more motivated with each pound I lose. 50lbs ago I was convinced that I just couldn't do it. i couldn't eat healthier or work out because it would do nothing. Now that I've lost 50lbs I'm very motivated. To help keep that motivation in check I have an workout buddy. My sister. We'll work out together, but most of the time we both are on MSN and start up our wii-fits and tell each other which activity we'll do together, come back and report, then choose another. It has really helped with that loneliness.

Another thing that I always try to remind myself is that if I can spend hours surfing the internet or watching TV I can get off my *kitten* and work out for 30 minutes. Hell with the Free-Step and Free-Run I can even watch TV or play a video game while doing so.
  • amysambora
    Options
    I deal with this every day! It's a struggle, but you need to turn to something OTHER than food for comfort. Make a list of things you really love to do, that make you happy - taking a bath, listening to music, singing, dancing, reading trashy tabloid mags, whatever it is you like to do! When you're craving comfort food, pick an activity and do that instead. You'll feel much better afterwards :)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I start off doing great and then I start feeling real hungry at times and I start to crave food, any food! It can be real hard to resist the urge to eat most days, over eat that is. I find that when I want to eat, I come to this site and read, read, read. I try and get myself motivated and think about how I will feel when I reach my goal and it doesn't come easy. You have to find it in yourself to havesome control. Many nights I go to bed so hungry I feel so frustrated but I know it will be worth it to be healthy again. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself like a child and say...No! If you still have the urge to eat, try and stick with fruits and veggies and healthy popcorn, things like that, I'm sure if your watching what you are eating now, it has to be better than the way you were eating. I know I have made big improvements in my diet in the last 7 weeks. We all struggle with over eating and that is why we are here. Just keep signing in everyday and getting the support you need, everyone is very helpful. You also have to ask yourself, how bad do you really want it?! Try distracting yourself, exercise, reading a book or magazine, writting in a journal or talking to a friend. You can do this and we are all here to help each other, although it's not easy it will be wroth how you feel about yourself when you know you have done yourself right in eating right and taking care of yourself. Just keep coming back. You got this. Good luck.
    Denise
  • PattiPositive
    Options
    Add more fiber rich foods in your daily meals. It helps even it out so you snack less and then feel like you have more control. I'm a snacker, Its helped me a lot. I dont tell myself no either. I log everything. But now with way more fiber in my choices, I have much more control than I ever have. I haven't lost a ton of weight yet but, I feel great and know I'm on the right track.
  • abryan013
    Options
    I have been having the same problem lately and I had been finding it realllllly hard to deny myself something when I'm hungry but know I have had enough for the day. This usually happens late at night for me. I have been keeping a protein bar on me when I leave and usually a couple bites of that will curb my appetite because it takes so long to chew. If I'm at home I keep meal supplement shakes handy and I will drink half of one which is only 85 calories and it helps to.... good luck!
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use diluting juice as it helps increase my water intake without feeling boring and it fills me up. I make sure to still have 1 morning snack and 1 afternoon snack, but I try to make these as healthy as possible, so I still get to treat myself with snacks but not doing too much damage.
    I'm not a big fan of the chewing gum thing. It just doesn't work for me.
    Just make sure you are hitting your calorie goal each day!
  • justine_c25
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! It's nice to be able to use an outlet like this for support and encouragement. Thank you so much!