Whole wheat bread versus white bread

Options
allofme32
allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
Whole wheat bread versus white bread....what's the big deal? they are basically the same in calories. What do you think?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread uses the whole grain, so it usually has more fiber and nutrients.

The first ingredient should say "whole wheat flour".

Whole grain white bread is also available.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Calories isn't the only thing to look at when it comes to nutritional value.. You could full your caloric needs with sugar and it would give you just about as many nutritional benefits as white bread. (Hint: none)
    It's not just the amount of calories you eat but also the quality of those calories that counts.

Whole grain and whole wheat breads have loads of health benefits where white bread is basically just empty calories.

It also tastes better and actually keeps you full for more than 10 minutes.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think whole wheat bread has more fiber and micronutrients than white.

I actually buy wheat berries in bulk and mill my own whole wheat flour and bake it into bread in a bread machine. That way I know I am getting whole wheat and it is fresh.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    One sticks to the roof of your mouth, the other doesn't.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments on nutrition. I just like bread with some heft--it's more satisfying. White bread is like fluff or cotton candy--all talk and no action.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat whole wheat/grain bread more than white bread, but I'll be damned if there aren't days that a nice sourdough just hits the spot.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are also thought to prevent some types of cancer and disease.
  • BDWhite72
    BDWhite72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have changed over to Ezekiel Bread, sprouted grains, tastes just as good or better regular bread (white or wheat). Full of complex carbs, not made with enriched flour and best of all, low on the glycemic index - so slow burning.

http://www.foodforlife.com/about_us/ezekiel-49
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Wheat bread for my peanut butter toast, white bread for my ham sammies. It's a preferences. My wheat bread is 100 cals, white is 70.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    White bread has all the fiber removed and that makes it a simple carbohydrate. Simple carbohydrates are immediately turned into sugar by your body. Whole wheat bread takes longer to digest and keeps you fuller longer.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are recommended for a healthy diet for a variety of reasons explained here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/whole-grains/

Unfortunately, not all whole wheat breads are created equal. Some have very little "whole grain" in them. Look for breads that are either labelled 100% whole wheat or that have a higher fiber count than other breads.

Some recommend limiting consumption of white bread, white rice, white potatoes, etc.,because the starches in these foods break down into glucose relatively rapidly and cause "sugar spikes" (rapid increases in blood glucose levels). These are also sometimes called foods with a high glycemic index. The fiber and bran in whole grains slow the conversion of starches into glucose and thus can reduce the severity of sugar spikes.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    White bread has all the fiber removed and that makes it a simple carbohydrate. Simple carbohydrates are immediately turned into sugar by your body. Whole wheat bread takes longer to digest and keeps you fuller longer.

THIS!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    The only benefit (IMHO, YMMV) for whole wheat is the fiber content. For me, I need the extra fiber boost, so WW it is. Other than that, a REALLY good, fresh outta the oven, homemade white bread or fresh loaf from a bakery, is just, sigh, heavenly.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would eat whole grain bread for the nutrients. Neither one is all that nutrient dense for the calories. Personally I would eat whatever one I liked. If the extra gram or two of fiber in a slice in the whole grain makes you feel fuller and you like the taste go for it.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Eating whole wheat bread or bread with a fancy name like "Amish Friendship Yeast Oat Bread" has been proven to help burn calories by giving the person eating it the smug sense of superiority that comes from knowing they're better than those losers who eat white bread.

hahahaha I like this guy, he has my sense of humor :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Whole grain breads have more calories - that's what keeps you fuller longer. I stick with white bread and its lower calories to meet my weight loss goals.
  • Nwatoka
    Nwatoka Posts: 2
    Options
    Whole grain/wheat bread is better for you nutritionally, as are most unrefined foods. Also, white bread is tasteless. In my humble opinion ;0)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Definitely a REAL whole wheat bread. I look for breads with less sugar, fewer wacky ingredients, and closer to real bread. Each slice has slightly more calories, but also has slightly more nutrients and slightly more fiber. I'll take that. In addition to the number on the scale, I want to build and maintain a healthy lifestyle. 100% whole wheat and preferably sprouted grains bread fit into my healthstyle. White "bread" sold at Krogers/Walmart/etc. don't.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I eat a wholegrain multi seed bread because it is delicious & keeps me full for ages. White bread doesn't fill me up at all & just gives me a Buddha belly straight away.

I used to go for the lowest calorie option for everything.......now I go for the tastiest option (usually higher cals), which is ultimately more satisfying & keeps me on track because I don't feel I am missing out.