goal weight achieved..now what?

Options
So after months of hard work, I've finally reached my goal weight, but I still have fat that I'd like to lose.
I do pilates, kettlebells and weights, and stationery rowing, and am trying to tone up and build muscle. I work out 5 days a week, between 30 and 60 minutes per session.
I currently weigh 57k, and am 167 tall.
My question is, should I continue to lose weight slowly, perhaps another kilo or two, or just maintain it. I will carry on with my fitness regime regardless.
How do I turn the fat to muscle? ?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• peter_rotten
    peter_rotten Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation and currently I'm adding a little more exercise and continuing eating the way I have been eating. I'm going to wait to see if my weight loss "bottoms out" and then I might change something.

But I'm really curious to see some other replies here.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to do body re-composition. I believe (haven't gotten to this point in my journey yet) that this is where you eat at maintenance and lift weights. Someone like usmcmp would be better able to answer this for you than I can.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Isn't "goal" weight just a kind of arbitrary figure? For me, my original goal is about another 6 lbs away, but I know that I have more fat to lose around my hips and stomach so I will just carry on until I am happy with how I look not what I weigh.

I am also lifting weights so the scales don't always say what I think they should, so I rely on them less and less and go by measurements instead.

So I would say if you think you still have fat to lose keep on doing what you have been doing until you reach the stage you are happy with.
  • christinevictoria81
    Options
    Yes, you're right.
    I picked 57 because that was my pre pregnancy weight, and I felt comfortable.
    However, now, 2 years later, I've obviously lost muscle tone, so although I'm happy with my shape, I'm not happy with the flabby bits!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    recomps take a long time with proper macro adherance, protien/fat/carbs and a progressive load lifting program...it is doable but not something that is easy.

If you have fat/flabby bits (as I do so I understand and am goal weight) about the only thing that you can do other than recomp is lose more weight.

I have chosen to stay at maitenance for the summer, continue to lift heavy, hit my macros and see how I feel in Sept...if I still want a change I will go in a deficit again and lose another 7lbs...maybe 12...depends.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    So when you say "turn fat to muscle", you don't mean that literally right? You can lose fat by shrinking the fat cells and build muscle by exercising them (muscle cell trauma triggers repairs resulting in additional muscle fibers and thicker existing ones). Fat cells do not turn into muscle cells, they just get smaller.

Just a small nit pick.
  • BDWhite72
    BDWhite72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Weights, weights, weights. I reached my "goal weight" and then quickly redefined my goals. Clothing size, fitness goals, body comps.

After I lost the first 90, I started in the gym. I have dropped another 12 pounds, gone from a size 8 to a size 4, from 20% BF to to 14% and best of all? I can actually do dips and pulls ups (full & regulation) all on my own. I HAVE SHOULDERS, which I think are so sexy and Abs .... who knew I had abs?

Your goals change as you change.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Eat slightly under maintenance, lift heavy. The scale may not change much, but your body will.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Get on an actual lifting program...follow the program...eat healthfully at either maintenance or slightly under...have patience (re-comp takes a lot of time)...win.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    now you enter maintenance phase. you don't need to eat at a deficit now. just keep drinking lots of water and watch what you eat to maintain while you do full body exercises and weight resistance training. it will take a while to even out but you can do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Work on a program of recomp. Maintenance and do a good resistance training program that focuses more on volume. Keep protein high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • christinevictoria81
    Options
    Thank you for all the great replies!
    I'll keep at it :)