Craving carbs and sugar?

I'm all for eat it if it fits the calorie goal. But I'm craving carbs and sugar like crazy lately.

Any ideas on how to stop them?

I'm not looking to cut them out and I'm not the "Carbs and sugar is evil" type.

I've been struggling with meeting fat goals lately and I read that that can cause the cravings. Is it true? If so, any ideas for foods with good fats besides bacon (don't hurt the bacon), nuts and actual olive oil?

I know there are a ton more, I'm just having trouble thinking of them now.

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    If you can't hit fat and craving carbs why don't you tweak your macros so to have less fat and more carbs?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I've found since cutting back on my carbs a bit, I'm not craving them as much.
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    If you can't hit fat and craving carbs why don't you tweak your macros so to have less fat and more carbs?

Because eating carbs when I crave them only temporarily stops the craving not permanently.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Avocado, coconut oil, nut butters.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    I've found since cutting back on my carbs a bit, I'm not craving them as much.

My cravings are better by avoiding lots of processed stuff, lower carbs and protein with each meal. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Here's a more extensive list of good fats and "bad" fats. http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
    (I don't buy into the hype of good food vs. bad food, but the list does.)
  • Leana93412
    Here's a more extensive list of good fats and "bad" fats. http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
    (I don't buy into the hype of good food vs. bad food, but the list does.)

Me neither. Everything in moderation. I'm going to start buying full fat dairy as well.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    I dialled the sugar back, and am finding I don't have cravings, whereas before what put weight on me steadily was the odd biscuit, bit of chocolate, few jellies most days. Others seems to be able to keep things in check with moderation, but I just found it didn't work for me. To each their own, and no preaching from my end :)

The carbs I did the same with, dialling back the sources of non-complex carbs in my typical diet, then eliminating all but the non-starchy. I'm doing a low carb thing, so don't expect everyone to be the same however, and to be honest once I lose the excess weight I wish to, I shall be adding a decent portion of carbs back when I am focussed on maintaining my weight rather than losing any.

I wouldn't be of the 'x, y or z is evil' disposition, but I don't like the hold certain elements in my diet can have on me, so avoidance when it comes to certain things is best for me personally I have found. Moderation is something that works quite well for me in other aspects of life for me, but not food it would seem, it seems instead it is just too easy to become a compulsive habit, speaking for myself alone here. Cutting them has done a lot for my present seemingly iron-like willpower when it comes to food :)

Re: cravings & fat, perhaps you might try playing around with the carb/ fat balance in your diet, replacing some of the carbs with fat, to see if that helps. I've found it has for me, but to be honest, even if full from fat and protein in my diet, I am sure I would struggle if I still had processed foods, junk foods, and a lot of simple carbs in my diet.
  • Leana93412
    I dialled the sugar back, and am finding I don't have cravings, whereas before what put weight on me steadily was the odd biscuit, bit of chocolate, few jellies most days. Others seems to be able to keep things in check with moderation, but I just found it didn't work for me. To each their own, and no preaching from my end :)

The carbs I did the same with, dialling back the sources of non-complex carbs in my typical diet, then eliminating all but the non-starchy. I'm doing a low carb thing, so don't expect everyone to be the same however, and to be honest once I lose the excess weight I wish to, I shall be adding a decent portion of carbs back when I am focussed on maintaining my weight rather than losing any.

I wouldn't be of the 'x, y or z is evil' disposition, but I don't like the hold certain elements in my diet can have on me, so avoidance when it comes to certain things is best for me personally I have found. Moderation is something that works quite well for me in other aspects of life for me, but not food it would seem, it seems instead it is just too easy to become a compulsive habit, speaking for myself alone here.

Everyone should do what works for them. Perhaps I should just try the low carb thing. I wouldn't know how to go about it though. Just cut down on starch? Knowing myself I'd still sneak in some oats anyway ;) and a bit of dessert each day.

I don't eat a lot of carbs to start with. I eat some oats or muesli in the mornings. a slice of bread sometimes for toast. or a wrap. if i cook perhaps a bit of brown rice. But most of my carbs come from vegetables anyway. and desserts. But I'm ALWAYS under on carbs.
  • Leana93412
    ^^ The only macros I actually actively try to hit is protein and fibre. I don't really care about the rest they happen how they happen. And fat and carbs happen to always be under.
  • susieqtx123
    susieqtx123 Posts: 29 Member
    Have you thought about taking Chromium tablets? It's used for improving blood sugar control. Available in most health food shops. I often use it to take the edge off the sugar cravings & as a woman it's especially useful around the time of my monthly periods.
  • Leana93412
    Have you thought about taking Chromium tablets? It's used for improving blood sugar control. Available in most health food shops. I often use it to take the edge off the sugar cravings & as a woman it's especially useful around the time of my monthly periods.

Never thought of those. Will have to look into them. At my TOM I just take magnesium supplements as I always seem to crave chocolate that time. Which seems to be a side effect of magnesium deficiency
  • mshannond
    mshannond Posts: 60
    Sounds like a sugar addiction.
    Start by making your breakfast one of healthy fat & protein. Think eggs & veggies.
    For lunch, try the same but with chicken, fish, 1/2 avocado & veggies.
    At dinner, try meat or fish with sweet potato or quinoa or brown rice & veg.
    Snack on low sugar fruits veg nuts seeds etc.
    You will detox & feel crappy but if you pull through those first couple of days your cravings will go.
    P.s you can make your food interesting. Add cheese, tahini, bacon, sauces (as long as low sugar), butter, full fat yogurt, nut butter, hummus etc.

If not, just try changing your breakfast & lunch and even keeping snacks same at first. With stable blood sugar levels at breakfast & lunch cravings should begin to go.
  • mshannond
    mshannond Posts: 60
    Good fats are salmon, coconut oil, avocados, nuts, eggs, seeds & olive oil.
    Also all of these fats here are great for skin, hormone balance (which can cause carb cravings) & keeping your blood sugar levels stable.
    Perhaps add some nut butter to fruit or toast, or avocado on toast, coconut oil in eggs, olive oil to a salad etc