Serious decline in motivation

Options
So I've lost a stone and a half. My friends have noticed and complimented me. They say I'm thin now and don't need to keep worrying. I feel happy that I have done well but the last few is coming off so slowly! Because of this I have felt demotivated. I find it hard to get to the gym and make sure I eat right. This week I wasn't eating my best and had a big meal out and I gained a pound. I have to work extremely hard to lose but I can gain weight so fast. Makes me think I'm going to gain it all back. I don't know. I'm just rambling. I feel like I can't lose anymore and I will eventually just end up back where I started :sad:

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For me losing is pretty easy. It's keeping it off that takes more diligence.
  • 1saturn
    1saturn Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Perhaps that is what I am worrying about.
  • ljminto
    ljminto Posts: 52
    Options
    I also am having this problem, with the fear of "one wrong move" (figure of speech) and I'll gain everything back..:indifferent:
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. As someone who has gotten to goal weight twice and gained it back, being "big" again and feeling like it is an uphill battle to get back down again is so demotivating. I have been back on MFP for two months and the scale basically bounces back and forth between the same numbers week after week. The whole process has just become stressful for me. I feel like an odd science experiment trying to figure out what to eat to lose (the cals in/cals out equation is NOT working for me).
  • myveganp
    myveganp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That happens to everyone! Motivation comes and goes. The key is making habits that stick and work for your lifestyle. Then, you just DO IT every day. You won't see the fluctuations in weight and you won't be as hard on your self. Simple, repetitive actions daily amount to amazing rewards. All about consistency! And the right people to cheer you on! I'm all ears for anyone who needs a little inspiration! xo
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    I am in the same boat here. Although I have many excuses, mainly that it's summer and I don't want to be as diligent during these months. I was doing really well but have put 7 pounds back on. I am not beating myself up over it though and I have set a firm date to get serious about this again. I think we need a bit of a break now and then but also must be aware that it is a very slippery slope. Just keep on truckin' it's good for you in the end....

PS. your profile pic has motivated me a bit more! :-)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Perhaps that is what I am worrying about.

To add some pop science logic: Worrying causes cortisol levels to rise. Cortisol triggers your body to store fat. Don't worry. Breathe. Do yoga. Decrease stress. Don't worry. Just keep logging, but log yourself at "maintenance" calories instead of 0.5 lbs per week to lose. Or whatever.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book Smart Change? It was listed as one of the books to read for 2014 from MFP. In it, the book states that one needs to a fantasy of what your change is going to do for you. I ask what is it that you wish to do or be after your loss in weight? What drove you to do it and is there something you are trying to obtain? That may give you motivation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Hold the weight you lost in dumbells in your hands. Walk up and down a full flight of stairs for 20 repetitions (1 up, 1 down is one rep). At the end, you'll realize what you've done so far is worth it and continue on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. As someone who has gotten to goal weight twice and gained it back, being "big" again and feeling like it is an uphill battle to get back down again is so demotivating. I have been back on MFP for two months and the scale basically bounces back and forth between the same numbers week after week. The whole process has just become stressful for me. I feel like an odd science experiment trying to figure out what to eat to lose (the cals in/cals out equation is NOT working for me).

You sound like me. One day I'm down 2 pounds, the next up 1 or even 3. It's so frustrating! I know that I need to really push myself to get to the gym, and make note of it everyday but as soon as I get home the last thing I want to do is workout. It seems like all of this calorie counting is becoming a waste of time for me.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It takes consistency to lose and it also takes consistency to gain. You've got to consistently overeat and under-log to gain it all back. don't let a few bad days ruin your week.

Also...read the quote on my loss ticker thing. Its true.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You have two choices here. You can continue losing these last few slowly and steadily. OR you can be one of the people that comes back in 6 months and says, "I gained it all back, here for round 2!"

What's it going to be? :flowerforyou:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So I've lost a stone and a half. My friends have noticed and complimented me. They say I'm thin now and don't need to keep worrying. I feel happy that I have done well but the last few is coming off so slowly! Because of this I have felt demotivated. I find it hard to get to the gym and make sure I eat right. This week I wasn't eating my best and had a big meal out and I gained a pound. I have to work extremely hard to lose but I can gain weight so fast. Makes me think I'm going to gain it all back. I don't know. I'm just rambling. I feel like I can't lose anymore and I will eventually just end up back where I started :sad:
    Unless you ate 3000 calories in that meal, its just water weight, most likely from a lot of sodium. Do you have before and after pictures? Look at them and really remember what your motivation was for starting this in the first place and the motivation will come back to you.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I lost about 60 lbs, then I got all kinds of compliments, and I don't know what happened to me, I became so unmotivated! Then the pounds came creeping back on. Gained back about 15, now I am back trying to lose what I gained! super frustrating because it takes a lot of work to lose 15lbs, but it is so easy to gain it back. I think for me, the fact that the clothes that I purchased just a few months ago were getting tight again. I spent a lot of money, and there was no way I was going to buy another new set of clothes!
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It takes consistency to lose and it also takes consistency to gain. You've got to consistently overeat and under-log to gain it all back. don't let a few bad days ruin your week.

Also...read the quote on my loss ticker thing. Its true.

I :heart: that weight loss ticker :drinker:
  • drey0422
    drey0422 Posts: 39
    Options
    You should Stop thinking that you're on a diet to reach a goal and just turn it into a lifestyle, keep eating healthy, keep working , but not to reach a certain weight, just to live a healthy life :)
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    One big meal out - unless it was some kind of smorgasbord didn't cause you to gain a pound. 3500 extra calories in a single sitting would be a crazy amount.

More likely that pound was water weight either because of your monthly cycle, not drinking enough water, or not pooping before you weighed yourself.

It can be more difficult to maintain motivation to get off those last few pounds because your body is more reluctant to give up body fat the lower your BF% is. The question for you has to be: Am I *REALLY* satisfied with how I look right now? Was my original goal too low?

For some people, the answer is "Yes." And that's OK. You're just entering the maintenance stage.

For other people, the answer is "No. But it's soooo hard to go farther." And the truthful answer to that is: No, it's not. It's just not going to happen as quickly as the first amounts of weight you lost. And each tiny step is going to take a little longer still. All you have to do is keep doing what you were doing in maintaining a calorie deficit, and it will eventually come off.

You didn't put that weight in a few days or a few months. You're going to have to give your body the time it needs to get rid of it as well. Can you show it the patience with which you tolerated having that extra weight in the first place, or are you going to give up and say No? Only you can look yourself in the mirror and answer that question honestly.
  • zip_girl
    zip_girl Posts: 29
    Options
    I know we are all concerned about looking good but it's also important to be healthy. Even if your weight loss has stalled a bit knowing that watching what you eat and being at a healthy weight is good for your body should make you feel good too! Being concerned with your health now and staying healthy while your young will help you look better when your older and lower your risk of all kinds of diseases/health conditions.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. My entire adult life I have been a yo you with weight loss. I have never been able to keep it off and that is my biggest fear with my current weight loss, will I be able to stay at my new low weight once I achieve it (I do think I can achieve it).

My only answer to this is that I (we) have to accept the fact that to be successful I will have to eat similarly to how I'm eating now the rest of my life. Yes I will be able to add alittle more calories and treats because I will be maintaining but alittle is the key word here. Now I do not at all dislike how I am eating now, in fact I enjoy and love what I'm eating and I feel better than I have in years. But I also did enjoy eating the unhealthy high calorie foods I am no longer eating (although eating them did not make me feel that great in the long run). They say after you do something a certain way for a certain period of time it becomes a habit so I am hoping that my healthier way of eating becomes a life long habit for me (but yes I'm scared too).
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Q_Q I need all the will-power and strength I need.
    I don't know what's wrong with me but I feel like I can't keep up with going on here since I don't have a smartphone I can use on break on the job because I'm poor, and the other thing is I tend to overeat a little when I don't count the calories and when I forget to portion for example especially when it comes to pizza... I can't have JUST ONE SLICE!

Other thing is, I try getting into working out again through an at home program but my busy schedule drains the living daylights out of me, nevermind makes the joints in my ankles quite sore when I get home. I'm not sure if it's because of the steel toed shoes I constantly wear every day to work because it's required or it's just me slowly breaking down with exhaustion due to my overnight schedule for work?