Is dieting effecting my energy levels?

Options
For a start, here are my details: I am 19, 6 foot 2, and male. I run 3-5 miles daily, weight train 3 days a week and live a busy lifestyle (eg. always try to be on my feet). At the moment I seem to maintain on around 2800ish calories a day ( I weigh 149 lbs), which is almost all healthy, nutritious food.
With the past two weeks, I cut down to about 2150 calories a day in order to lose five pounds. However, I have seem literally NO weight loss (mirror or scale) and my workouts have been really effected........for example I find I am weaker, and have been picking up a few small injuries.
Is this a result of the calorie deficit? It is the only variable I have changed, thanks guys.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Being a male that is 6'2" and 149 Lbs, why are you trying to lose weight...and of course cutting your calories like that, particularly without any fat stores is going to have significant effects on your energy levels.

At that weight you are at the lowest end of "normal" for you height...you're teetering on being underweight.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Being a male that is 6'2" and 149 Lbs, why are you trying to lose weight...and of course cutting your calories like that, particularly without any fat stores is going to have significant effects on your energy levels.

At that weight you are at the lowest end of "normal" for you height...you're teetering on being underweight.
    agreed.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This. Maybe if you want a "leaner" looking physique, you should look into lifting heavy and building muscle. Done correctly, you will add weight via muscle gains, but lower your body fat percentage. That seems more healthy for someone with your stats. Going below 149 at your height will not be healthy. No wonder you're feeling weak!
  • ShaneK1994
    ShaneK1994 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. The reason I started dieting in the first place was to tone up a bit, it is frustrating as despite all the activity and clean eating, I still lack a lot of definition (and muscle it has to be said)........
  • BigT555
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. The reason I started dieting in the first place was to tone up a bit, it is frustrating as despite all the activity and clean eating, I still lack a lot of definition (and muscle it has to be said)........
    "toning" is a combination of losing fat, and gaining muscle. you've got the low fat part down pat, bulk up a bit bro! hop on the gainz train
  • ShaneK1994
    Options
    Gainz train?
  • BigT555
    Options
    Gainz train?
    muscle gains.... just me being a little frivolous
  • ShaneK1994
    Options
    Gainz train?

I have tried in the past.....every last pound goes to my hips and stomach, I end of freaking out and losing it all again
  • BigT555
    Options
    Gainz train?

I have tried in the past.....every last pound goes to my hips and stomach, I end of freaking out and losing it all again
    small calorie surplus (like 500 cals) and lots of heavy lifting. dont sweat a bit of fat in the meantime, its impossible to not gain fat while gaining muscle, the trick is to minimize it
  • ShaneK1994
    Options
    Would running do the trick? Whenever muscle building comes up, the default always seems to be "cut cardio" but I have a passion for the running
  • BigT555
    Options
    Would running do the trick? Whenever muscle building comes up, the default always seems to be "cut cardio" but I have a passion for the running
    running doesnt build muscle, sorry bro, you gotta lift weights of some sort. check out some bodyweight exercises if your not into going to the gym, thats probably your best option if thats the case
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is. You are young and your metabolism is prime. You really shouldn't be cutting any calories if you are working out so much. Are you sure you need to lose weight? You must be fairly thin to begin with given your height and weight. It sounds like you just want to tighten things up and should try to reduce your cardio and increase your strength training. Also maybe you need to evaluate what kinds of food you are eating? Try cutting back on your carbs or eating more "clean" and see if that helps get you the look you are after. Good luck!