Gym help!?

Options
Hi,

I've been going to the gym for about a week now but I am after some guidance as to what the best exercises I need to be doing.

I'm currently obese, so I am eating at a deficit, and have lost 13lbs so far, with 50 to go.

I'm lost as to what exercises would be best for me. I have no idea if I should be lifting or not, and if I should, how often I should lift and what I should lift.

I have been doing cardio, about 45-60 minutes a day (4x a week) on the stationary bike, running machine, elliptical, rowing machine.

Thanks!

Replies

• aynit
    aynit Posts: 43
    Options
    Cardio is def good, but your diet is also important.

Weights can help too, as it helps to burn fat whilst resting.

Go for more reps - between 10-15 on manageable weights, and do around sets.

Split body parts with weights - shoulders, arms, back, chest, legs etc - and rest too!

But your diet is key!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras Strong Curves if physique is your #1 priority, New Rules of Lifting for Women/Stronglifts/Starting Strength if you wanna get hella strong.

Lift all the things. Retain all the muscle. Make all the panties drop (if you're into that).
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Please don't neglect strength training while you're at the gym. There are literally hundreds of different well-planned routines on Bodybuilding.com for strength routines for many purposes. I think your cardio is in a reasonable and realistic range, provided you remain dedicated to it.

(Believe me, there is no one who shouldn't be lifting, btw. Unless you're a child maybe...)

It took me a long time to find strength workouts that I liked. I have resistance bands (Bodylastics) and I find I'm more motivated to get my strength workout in when there's minimal setup and takedown time involved. I also like training with dumbbells when I'm pressed for time. I can work most major muscle groups with a set of 20-lb. dumbbells, so when I really want to hammer out a good workout, it's a good option.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Look into some beginner programs like:

Starting Strength
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

I definitely think you should lift if you want to, but I'd encourage you to follow a real program in the beginning, not make up your own. :)
  • Intimidator
    Intimidator Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I been there...At my gym (Planet Fitness) they have trainers, maybe you could ask them what would be best for you...I spoke with my trainer and my boyfriend and they were pretty close to the same idea...

Right now, I do about 30 mins of Cardio and 30 mins of weight training (arms, legs, back)... I usually do 5 reps of 10... I want to tighten up my muscle, so they show me a few things to do as well exercises to tighten up my stomach...

If you care to add me, and maybe we can help each other out...

Marie
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
  • badboy567
    badboy567 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ill try that
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    You could hire a personal trainer just for a short while to show you the ropes. For me, I joined a group that does both strength and cardio.

I've never been in a gym or worked with the equipment. I did BW exercises at home. So having some sort of instructor, even a group one, was crucial in making sure I don't injure myself.
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! I highly recommend strength exercises, either with dumbbells and barbells or simply with your own body weight. As the other poster said, you can find a weight that allows you to do at least X reps but not more than Y reps. He recommended at least 10 reps and not more than 15 reps; I used to work out at that level but now find it more useful to find a weight that is light enough that lets me do at least 8 reps but heavy enough that I can't do more than 12 reps (with good form). As you get stronger, you'll use heavier weights. Here's my schedule:

MONDAY (upper body)
    Dumbbell bench press
    Bent over row
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Triceps extension
    Barbell curl
    Abs - usually incline sit-ups and Russian twists

TUESDAY (lower body)
    Barbell squat (I find it easier to use a barbell but you can also use dumbbells and just hold them at your side)
    Stiff leg deadlift with dumbbells
    Leg extensions (on machine)
    Leg curls (on machine)
    Standing calf raise (while holding dumbbells)
    Abs - Usually leg raises on the Captain's chair and holding plank position

WEDNESDAY
    Cardio only

THURSDAY (upper body)
    Triceps dips (on machine, with assistance)
    Pull-ups (on machine, with assistance)
    Dumbbell side laterals
    Triceps cable press-down (on cable machine)
    Biceps curls (either with barbell or on cable machine)
    Abs - Incline crunches and back extensions with side twists

FRIDAY (lower body)
    Deadlift with barbell
    Leg press (on leg sled or leg press machine)
    Lunges with dumbbells (I hate these, btw)
    Seated calf raise (either sit down and hold dumbbells on your knees or use a calf extension machine)
    Dumbbell shrugs
    Abs - Incline sit-ups and reverse crunches on the Captain's Chair

If you're not sure how to do any of these exercises, simply check YouTube or http://www.total-gym-exercises.com. Especially with dumbbells and barbells, form is very important so that you don't injure yourself. Work out in front of a mirror and go slow until you feel comfortable with the form. If you can swing the expense, a few sessions with a personal trainer can be very helpful and will ensure that you have proper form. Good luck!