What the!!! How much?!

Options
2»

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I purchase a scale from Target. I'm not into guessing.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :happy: Sometimes I wonder if "they" didn't make some of this stuff up just to confuse us! But here's a quick run down: a cup is 8 oz, 2 cups is a pint, 2 pints is a quart, 4 quarts is a gallon. When you're talking liquid measurements. Solid measurements get even more confusing:wink:

I really should have pointed out that those were AMERICAN ounces. Which are different from Brittish ounces!

Which is exactly why it's not only a little bit annoying, but deeply infuriating for me to deal with a crappy unit system like this one. I've been using g and ml since I can read numbers (and for water, 1 ml weighs close enough to 1 g, so conversion for most liquids is really easy) and really don't see any good reason to prefer something as complicated and messy as your system. Probably it helps teaching kids arithmetic, but that's the only use I can see.
  • shish61
    Options
    I always found the cup thing confusing until I went to the States and then all became clear. These are standard measures - just like the tablespoon measures we have. You can buy cup measures in the UK. Hope this helps.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeh I'm in Scotland and the cup thing is a mystery to me. I have Rosemary Conley Portion Pots which I use, but generally you can find me standing in my kitchen with a calculator reading the grams. my b/f thinks i'm nuts!