Water Intake

Options
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering....how much water should you drink in a day?

Breanna

Replies

• mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There's so many different theories on this. It used to be 62 oz a day. Some people say 1/2 oz of water per pound of weight. The general consensus now seems to be to drink when you are thirsty. I usually drink between 100-120 oz a day.
  • JessieMin
    JessieMin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink until I can't drink anymore - like I drink a glass and go straight to the bathroom! hahaha
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have been shooting for 12-16 cups lately
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm at somewhere around 1.5-2 liters a day on top of anything else i happen to drink such as a half liter diet soda im working on currently or the 1/2 and 1/2 sweet tea I drink at waffle house (i'm working at cutting out sugar and some of the pastas and breads)
  • LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My usual is 16 cups a day, 24 on really hot days. I just love water :)
  • JTThomas
    JTThomas Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I typically drink 8 cups but my goal is to try and drink a gallon ( 16 cups) of water each day. I have heard that you should try to drink half of your body weight so for example if you weighed 200 lbs then you would drink 100 oz. of water.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I think water is one of the best weight loss and fitness aids available, but there is no "right" formula for everyone. I normally drink a ton of water, and when I don't I notice that I am more tired and less active. Try to have a big glass (not just 8oz) when you get up in the morning, before and during (that's two glasses) every meal or snack, right when you get home at night and at with in an hour of going to bed (this one is tough for many people, me included, because a full bladder tends to wake me up during the night, but I don't wake up thirsty and I think that's a fair trade). In addition I always try to keep a bottle of water handy to sip during the day. So for me, during a normal day, I easily drink almost 200 ozs a day. It keeps me feeling full (as well as in the bathroom...a lot).
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I drink when I am thirsty but don't force it. I average between 6-7 liters of water a day.
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Medical professional(s) have told me the general rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    About 70 oz per day.

But keep in mind that it's FLUID intake that matters, not just water intake. That means coffee, milk, juice, etc.
  • jbuck101
    jbuck101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to a close friend of mine (who is a doctor and certified & registered dietician), as a minimum, you should drink half your weight - in ounces - of water a day. So, as an example, I weigh 180 pounds so I should be drinking 90 ounces of water a day as a minimum. I hope this helps!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    There is no set rule. As long as you are hydrated, that's all the matters. When you pee, it should be pale yellow - clearish. Just drink as much as you're comfortable with. We get a lot of our water from other sources, as well, so you don't have to chug plain water all day long if you don't want to.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    In my circle, my friends call me the water nazi...I send out the reminders to drink up.
    I worked up to drinking half an ounce for each pound I weigh. But if you drink to the point that your urine is near clear...you can do that instead of measuring...

All of this is presuming that you dont' have medical contraindications...
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I strive for at least 10 cups a day. I try to stay away from anything else besides water and my morning coffee :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Enough so that your urine is pale yellow to clear.

I tend to drink about 3 liters a day, more if I exercise. Aside from my morning 2 cups of coffee, I'm only drinking water.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the comments about half your body weight in ounces. More if you exercise. I drink at least a gallon a day, usually more when I cut. It's the easiest way to make your body feel full, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that :D
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. That's it. I don't keep track or obsess over it. I've been at my goal weight for almost two years and I've not experienced any adverse effects from not making water the central focus of my life.
  • 280tofit2014
    Options
    I fill up a gallon during the morning and drink it throughout the day...sometimes I go through two gallons! Water won't kill you. As long as you don't go drink 5-6 gallons like the crazy people on the news that ended up flooding their brain. Lol. Doctors recommended is the usual 8/8. 8oz glasses 8x a day but it don't hurt to go over that.