The pooch.

Options
As I have been slowly, very slowly losing weight, I have noticed my waist getting slimmer. I even have a start of a little dip going straight down in the middle of it. (Not sure what that is called). But my pooch, just bulges out more than it ever did. I understand that weight can't be lost in one specific area, but when I will keep losing weight, will my waist stop losing at some point while my lower stomach catches up?

Replies

• bcerk
    bcerk Posts: 41
    Options
    Preaaaach!

I lost around 35 lbs total over the years and the pooch is just bringing me down.
  • Fourtysevenguy
    Fourtysevenguy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your body is very clever, it distributes fat evenly and in places you never even know exist.
    Your tummy unfortunately is the last place you will loose fat as this is your store. It also stores water so it might not all be fat. Horay :)
    You will reduce the size overall as you loose more weight, since your body distributes it evenly, but it will be an even loss over your whole body even if you don't notice it.

I struggle to burn off fat from my tummy and especially love handles and would love to eliminate it but its so tough!
    I think i have the best body for storing fat, i can look at bread and i gain 10lbs!

Little and steady is the answer, stay motivated and happy and you will get their, just takes time :)
  • ashm233
    ashm233 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you had a baby? When you lay down and do a partway sit-up can you feel a separation between your abs?
  • LakeCountyDiver
    LakeCountyDiver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    While the body does store fat evenly there are areas the get a higher % of fat stores or see fat first. Generally your stomach/abdominal area is the first place to store excess fat in the highest % and the last place to loose it. Few body types store it in the butt and upper thighs first.

Just got to keep working at it.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I needed to see these answers. I'm pretty confident about everywhere else, but it seems my stomach is not keeping up.

I DID have a baby (14.5 years ago), so that's not any kind of excuse.

Also, I'm pretty much at goal and I'm not "losing" as fast, but things are tightening up in all the right places.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's the most difficult spot for a lot of woman, but it can go away. Just keep working at it.
  • Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Have you had a baby? When you lay down and do a partway sit-up can you feel a separation between your abs?

Haven't had a baby, and don't plan to. It's I guess a separation, something like this in the middle, but not THAT noticable!

abs-diet-article.jpg
  • ashm233
    Options
    [/quote

I ask because a lot of women don't know that they have diastasis recto- a separation of the abs that hasn't healed since pregnancy. I have one. Working on healing it but without the normal abdominal muscle strength from the abs working together it's very difficult to get rid of the pooch without healing the split first.
  • ashm233
    Options
    Whoops just saw your post. Never mind! It'll go away. Just a difficult spot!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Flat stomachs will come with time. If you want definition, then it's a combination of lean body mass and body fat %. It takes time and unfortunately, most of us are impatient.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    bump