Feeling tired after lunch meals, any suggestions!!!

Options
I started on MFP last week, but I have changed by diet since 1/1/2011; I have been working out almost 2 hrs every day & watching every calorie I take; I am on a very low carb diet but the last few days I am feeling extremely tired, sleepy after lunch meals, which is very light salad. My sugar intake is almost next to zero, all sugar I consume from brown sugar in my coffee/tea or fruits. Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    I'm interested to see what replies you get. This used to happen to me but it has gone away with increased water consumption and more exercise. But it already seems like you are doing those things.
  • radwan_masri
    Options
    I stuff my self with water that is so much annoying "going to the toilet every 5 minutes" :-) , as for exercise; I am doing morning & night almost everyday.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    How many grams of carbs are you on per day? Perhaps you could have some berries after your salad to give you a bit of natural sugar? Are you having any protein or carbs with your salad?
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ans/psychology/health_psychology/carbs.htm#Are low-carb diets effective?

Read this article. Was researching this myself for a friend of mine. It was very helpful and explained a lot.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary - a 450 kcal salad would be enormous for me! lol

I'd suggest adding a mid morning snack - if you don't want to add calories then take some off your breakfast or lunch. If you are exercising in the morning, you need to allow for that too - and don't over do it xxx
  • radwan_masri
    Options
    Thank you all; that was fantastic fast reply, yes my salads are quiet big, I should reduce in half probably; as for berries I should take after lunch meal. Thanks for the link; I will read it shortly. Thank you all.
  • gadd3000
    Options
    The problem is that you are working out 2 hrs per day on a low carb diet. I could write an entire book about why that is so wrong, but let's just say that your body needs carbs for energy and if you are woring out for 2 hrs per day then you need a lot of extra energy. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are all loaded with healthy carbs that you should eat in an abundance (within your calorie limit.)

Basically, if you are feeling sluggish either you are not getting enough calories, not eating the right foods at the right times or are not getting enough sleep.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm no expert - but it looks to me like you're getting enough carbs, and your meals look really healthy and filling. I noticed that you seem to earn a lot of exercise calories; perhaps you could add another snack or something? Otherwise maybe it's just a side effect of getting used to a new lifestyle. Might pay to see a doctor perhaps, in case it's something more serious.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP last week, but I have changed by diet since 1/1/2011; I have been working out almost 2 hrs every day & watching every calorie I take; I am on a very low carb diet but the last few days I am feeling extremely tired, sleepy after lunch meals, which is very light salad. My sugar intake is almost next to zero, all sugar I consume from brown sugar in my coffee/tea or fruits. Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions

It's very simple. Eat more carbs. Your blood sugar level is dipping too low I expect making you feel fatigued. Carbs are the primary source of fuel for your body. If your body cannot access enough of them through readily available food intake it will begin slowing down non essential body functions until it can find another source for energy.

Look, if you are at 8% body fat and want to cut because you are considering competitive body building then consider carb cycling (low carb day when not training with high carn days when you are.) If you are like the most of us normal individuals (a body building physique is extreme) then a healthy, balanced diet which includes all nutrients and which work in harmony with your body's natural processes. Carbs are not the enemy, neither is protein, neither is fat. They are ALL essential.

You might want to watch your level of simple carbs (I see you have limited sugar intake already) and not eat excessive quantities of carbs with high levels of starch (eg bread, rice etc.) However good complex carbs are the food of the gods. Porridge, brocoli and spinach are your best friends in this game!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs and I still feel incredibly tired after lunch - like I could crawl under my desk and take a nap. I walk to work in the morning and usually work out at the gym on my way home.