Stepping on pinky toe when running/walking

Options
I have always gotten a blister on the bottom of my pinky toe when I walk a lot - we're talking vacation/sightseeing type walking, where you're walking for hours at a time. The reason is that my pinky toe (only on my left foot) sort of rolls on its side and gets pinched under the 4th toe. Now, I'm working my way through a C25K program and I'm getting a blister on the bottom of that toe pretty much every time I run. I don't believe it's a shoe problem. My toes have plenty of room to spread out and it seems to happen with any shoe I have ever worn for a longer distance (and once I have a blister, I'm constantly stepping on it even when barefoot).

I've tried searching, but everything about toes and blisters seems to be about them rubbing on the shoe and not from toes being stepped on.

Has anyone experienced this? I would very much appreciate suggestions :)

Replies

• FSUcwgrl69
    FSUcwgrl69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Same foot. I'm looking for answers as well. I will keep you posted if I hear of a solution.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Could be a hammer toe?

Go see a doctor get it looked at. It may need straightening out/pinning.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try putting a foam spacer between the toes.

Or wrap the pinky toe with tape or a bandaid.

Do you have high arches?
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have normal-to-high arches and I tend to underpronate, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But it turns out it was probably a sock issue. It happens a lot less when I wear thinner socks with wider toe boxes.
  • zenrunner1
    zenrunner1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Try Injinji toe socks - they allow the toes to spread out and flex naturally, rather than scrunching them together like regular socks
  • cenaculum
    cenaculum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am not a runner, but am a long-distance walker. I have had the same problem of little toe being pinched, and it is a real pain, literally. But I found a solution that works for me.
    First I started buying wider shoes. Then I discovered a taping technique that really works well.
    The pinch is caused when the little toe ridge rolls under the toe next to it, as you know. What I do is simply tape the little toe, but pulling the tape the opposite direction of how the roll/pinch goes. Sort of forcing it to roll the other way and not get stepped on.
    Works for me... Hope you might find this helpful :)
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Could be a hammer toe?

Go see a doctor get it looked at. It may need straightening out/pinning.

No, it's not a hammer toe and having ap toe straighten out it's quite a drastic measure to solve a blister problem.
    See a podiatrist (foot doctor if you want)