How much to exercise when you're maintaining?

Options

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I exercise exactly the same as I did while losing weight. If not more because I'm more in shape now, and very capable of doing higher intensity work outs. And I enjoy them now.

I usually exercise 5-6 days a week, with one rest day (rest day can mean full rest, with only walking - or yoga/light routines, that only get logged because Sworkit automatically logs). How long all depends on how I'm feeling. Typically 20-60 minutes. I walk all the time now, but I won't count that into my numbers.. because if I did, the real numbers would be something like 120 (or more lol) minutes a day. With no car, I literally walk everywhere.

My routine is pretty much the same as it was when I started, mostly just higher intensity now since I'm more fit. I typically eat about 1800 on rest days and around 2000-2300 every other day of the week.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Now that I am looking to maintain weight, how much do people typically workout?
    6 days a week, the same as when I was losing weight. I didn't exercise to lose weight - I did it (and still do it) to get stronger, fitter, healthier and because I enjoy it.

Ditto........
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't decrease the intensity of my workouts. I just eat more ????
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal. I am at goal weight and seem to keep the same amount of muscle lifting semi-seriously once or twice a week. I also work in my garden and that entails a lot of lifting with weights and squats. I think the most important thing is to keep trying to improve, realizing that there is no end to the fitness process. Keep going!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I workout the same amount when I was losing because I really enjoy it. I do something everyday - a mixture of power walking 25 - 35 miles per week, lifting 2 - 3 times per week, bodyweight workouts, dvd's/Youtube workouts, Pilates, tennis, volleyball, ice skating and I take a light active rest day whenever I need it.

I just get to eat way more due to my activity level. Yay!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The same as before .. there is no need to limit exercise cause you are maintaining.

Myself ... I probably exercise more now, but I just eat like nuts to compensate for the calories I am burning.

There are many great health benefits to exercise ... and honestly the least important one is the possible weight loss, but that is what a lot of people use it here for .. a bit misguided as we should exercise for our health. But we all may have different goals so whatever works.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    5 or 6 days a week, from :20 to 1:30.

Bonuses at maintenance: faster recovery, strength gains, easier to avoid burnout.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Losing weight = calorie deficit = far from optimal recovery

Maintaining weight = better recovery.

You can exercise more in maintenance than a cutting phase.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Well, the sole purpose of exercise is not to lose weight, but to have a stronger heart, muscles, lower cholesterol, strengthen bones... I could go on and on. I'm not sure why you would change your routine while maintaining your weight, as if exercise has served its purpose. Just eat more to compensate for the burned cals
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have to spend walking do you spend to make the 20 000 step mark? :-)

On busy days at work, I'll easily get over 4K. I have to get up and down a lot.

I walk fast so I can get in steps pretty easily. Also, I live in the city, so walking is what we do---everywhere. :-) I hate that I have to drive to work but what can you do.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My exercise personally doesn't change for weight loss or maintaining. I road cycle approx. 3 days per week and mountain bike 1-2 with upper body training at least 1 day per week.

Diet changes depending on needs (weight loss, cut, bulk, event training, etc...)
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am exercising the same, 5-6 days a week.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day to get stronger, work on my art and skills, and because I like it. I also need to eat about 2200 calories/day to maintain. That's on average. I aim for 1700 M-Th and Friday-Sat is more open season, so to speak. Eating at a slight deficit does seem to take a bit of a toll on my workouts, so I may revise that plan. But right now it's working.
  • 1MelissaStevens7
    Options
    I would say do 5x a week (reducing one day) and either doing less intensity or shortening some of the session by 5min or so. This will keep you strong and healthy while giving time for your body to still save your calories instead of immediately feeding it to what you lost. Remember to eat healthy too, not just maintain calorie count.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Personally I do 4 days of lifting and usually 2-3 days just walking (I used to run but I'm injured so walking is all I can handle). I also do at least some stretching every day.

I think there's a lot of flexibility here, but whatever you choose should be something you feel like you can do long term without burn out.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Losing weight = calorie deficit = far from optimal recovery

Maintaining weight = better recovery.

You can exercise more in maintenance than a cutting phase.
    Yes. My intensity is higher when I am bulking vs cutting, and somewhere in between for maintaining.
  • dazedandconfused87
    Options
    Personally I do 4 days of lifting and usually 2-3 days just walking (I used to run but I'm injured so walking is all I can handle). I also do at least some stretching every day.

I think there's a lot of flexibility here, but whatever you choose should be something you feel like you can do long term without burn out.

Thank you, that's why I'm trying to figure out what works best for me. I think overall it's just tough to figure out what my maintenance will be as I feel like I'm fluctuating a lot right now but I don't know if it's just bloat as my body gets used to more calories and less activity or if it's PMS perhaps..
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If I remember right, people on the National Weight Control Registry who are successful at keeping their weight off usually exercise 60-90 minutes a day, most days of the week. Don't know if the registry tracks what type of exercise (cardio or strength training), though.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I generally do 5 hour long boxing classes a week, 2-4 hours of cycling, walk 5-8 miles daily and sometimes do some elliptical and weights.

I maintain on around 1800-2000 without exercise due to my low bodyfat % and height plays a factor as well I imagine.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm exercising a bit less often now that I'm on maintenance, but that has coincided with less free time due to work. I've compensated for that by increasing my workout (I mostly run, so I'm running slightly longer distances than I was when actively losing weight).

For me, I exercise because I enjoy being outdoors and I makes me feel healthy. But honestly, I run because it is the biggest "bang" for my buck in terms of caloric burn. I like to eat, and exercising regularly allows me to eat a lot more than I would be able to otherwise. If it were not for that, I would stick to walking, short hikes, and bike rides for exercise, which are just as good for overall health, but unless I'm willing to do so for hours, those activities don't burn as much as running.