Eating out, how do you record it?

Options
Hey all,

I am going to be eating out on Thursday night, how do you record the calories when you don't know how much it is? I can't exactly ask the waiter!
How do you deal with this?

Replies

• wccafe
    wccafe Posts: 20
    Options
    I usually ask if they have a nutrition guide when they seat me. If they don't I ask if they have any options that are lower cal/healthy. But what I use most is the database here. You can search by name, or find a similar place. Lots of places have menus or guides on their site. Best of luck!
  • Weeb2k
    Weeb2k Posts: 25
    Options
    I would type it into my iPhone and work it all out when I get home
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would normally guess. I'd order something fairly simple to calculate, then just enter the ingredients I can identify. I know it's not accurate but I find it helps anyway. It makes you more aware of ordering well and not eating all the extras and drinking too much!
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    I went out to eat yesterday and ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with steamed broccoli... Ididnt eat the bread and i also only ate one chicken breast so i guessed at the size... i figured it was about six ounces and the broccoli i also guessed the serving size... i might be off but im not worried about being a few calories off on grilled chicken or broccoli... just look for options that will make it easier to guess there serving size and also that you can search for on here
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just search the database here for the meal or something similar and add some quick calories on top.. Went to La Tasca at the weekend and had berenjas aubergine - couldnt find that so I logged aubergine gratin. Did find patatas bravas and spanish omletter etc so I think it will be fairly accurate. I added on another 100 cals as a buffer too. I was desperate to lose on the scales the following day as mine had gone up so I only ate 2 tablesppons of the aubergine, 2 of tortilla and a tablespoon of patatas bravas plus salad etc so it was quite easy to work out.

Did try to go somewhere there was a cal counted option (pizza express) but they were choca. They have a leggera (?) range that is 500 cals. Basically just a pizza with the middle cut out and replaced with salad! Tastes great though :) The kids love getting the bambacino with their pudding in there (hot frothy milk in an expresso cup - very cute. And their mum hates just drinking water but hey ho :-)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I always try to research online before going to a restaurant as many of them have nutritional information available now. If you don't have time to do that ahead of time, definitely ask the waiter about a nutritional guide at the restaurant. Beyond that, I select what appears to be the healthiest of choices available, write it down and when I come home, I search on the database to find something of similarity. Not an exact science, but definitely will log something and try to err on the higher calorie size because you are only cheating yourself if you err by going lower in the calories you post.