Work In???

Options
I was at the gym last night. I was on the squat machine, I do 15 reps, rest 30 seconds or so and repeat. For a total of 3 sets. After my 2nd set I was stretching for up to 30 seconds, while on the machine, and a guy comes and asks if he can "work in". I don't know what that means, but I told him I was almost done, finished my last set and got off the machine.

Can someone enlighten me?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    you do a set, then he does a set, then you do a set ect.

its just him doing sets while you rest to optimize the use of the machine
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    you do a set, then he does a set, then you do a set ect.

its just him doing sets while you rest to optimize the use of the machine

^^ ding
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it could work well if the lifters are fairly matched in ability.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    with cable machines its not all that important since its as simple as pulling and replacing a pin to change the weight, but for barbell yea, if theres a big strength gap you get half your workout just from putting plates on and off the bar
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's the polite way to figure out if you're almost done or not- and he's tired or waiting- or doesn't want to wait- or needs to figure out if he needs to wait.

Working in is where you just alternate between people using it- it's not an issue typically with machines that don't have plates- i'ts a more time consuming process when you are on barbells and you have to switch plates out- esp if its' people working at two different levels. Then it's a PITA.

Edit: the only time I work in with people above my level are if I know them, or I see them around a lot. Someone who is there regularly and I know will move the weights quickly efficiently and be attentive so the whole process is faster and less time wasted. I refuse to work in with complete strangers on BB work. just not worth it.
  • ThineOwnselfBTrue
    ThineOwnselfBTrue Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! I was confused. I usually just go in and do my thing and leave. I only talk to those I know.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    with cable machines its not all that important since its as simple as pulling and replacing a pin to change the weight, but for barbell yea, if theres a big strength gap you get half your workout just from putting plates on and off the bar

aw chit, I didn't see it was for cable machine.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm totally cool with letting someone work in with me. Often times when I am asked how many sets I have left (usually on the power rack) I will invite the person to share. (As long as it is the same exercise of course.) More often or not they decline. (Perhaps unbeknownst to them I plan on then asking them for spots so I can try to go one beyond my usual fail.)

Working in seems like something of lost art, at all previous gyms it was common and much appreciated with limited resources and time.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    my gym is so packed i have to "work in" with someone almost every day. IMO correct etiquette is to first ask how many sets they have left. If it's 2 or less I will just go somewhere else for a few minutes and wait.