Very concerned here ... (Experts please guide me)

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fix your logging ... eat appropriately (500 net calories is well below what the body needs) ... go from there. Even if you do lose weight with your current intake and exercise you risk losing what lean mass you currently have. There are reasons to eat your macro nutrients.
  • izzi1024
    izzi1024 Posts: 9
    Options
    Fix your logging ... eat appropriately (500 net calories is well below what the body needs) ... go from there. Even if you do lose weight with your current intake and exercise you risk losing what lean mass you currently have. There are reasons to eat your macro nutrients.

Thanks for your time...
    I'm not one of those who crash diet and kill themselves but yes you are right, maybe it is due to fasting that I am not eating more than 1200 calories. I will pay attention to my logging.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thanks for your time...
    I'm not one of those who crash diet and kill themselves but yes you are right, maybe it is due to fasting that I am not eating more than 1200 calories. I will pay attention to my logging.

Since you're fasting for Ramadan, you might look around the boards a little for the other Ramadan threads and I'm sure there are some groups specifically for those participating. They might help to give you a better idea of how to stay healthy during this month.
  • izzi1024
    izzi1024 Posts: 9
    Options

Thanks for your time...

Since you're fasting for Ramadan, you might look around the boards a little for the other Ramadan threads and I'm sure there are some groups specifically for those participating. They might help to give you a better idea of how to stay healthy during this month.

Yeah just went through a few right now... people are losing weight or have maintained. I think I should check in when I'm done with my period or maybe ill not weigh myself for sometime, check my logging and keep an eye on inches. :)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have heard that many observant muslims gain weight during Ramadan because there is a lot of feasting / special treats between sunset and sunup? At any rate, not eating during the day won't cause you to lose weight ::IF:: you're indulging in high calorie foods (or even just eating large quantities of "healthy" food) during the permitted hours.

A lot of folks who are just starting out don't want to track their food and will say things like "I'm eating all the RIGHT foods now" and "I'm avoiding BAD foods so I must be eating at a deficit." And this is simply NOT TRUE. Especially when you are just starting out with a weight loss plan, it is important to accurately track your food -- at least for a little while -- to learn the caloric values of the foods you're eating. A lot of people are surprised to find out that foods they've mentally classified as "good" are calorie bombs. A lot of people are surprised that serving sizes MATTER, and there are HARDLY ANY FOODS that you can eat in unlimited or unmeasured amounts if you want to lose weight. Or some people just find out that the deficit they're generating is too small to make a noticeable difference to fat loss.

If you want to believe you're eating a deficit, you're really going to have to validate that.
    1. Track EVERYTHING you eat, including sauces, condiments, and any beverages that have calories (milk, juice, tea with sugar; I would add beer and wine to this list but I'm guessing you're not drinking alcohol)
    2. Measure portion sizes accurately. One chicken breast can weigh anywhere from 5 oz to a monstrous 13 oz -- but many people will log "3 oz chicken breast" because they just assume that they're getting served a 3 oz serving. Measuring oils or peanut butter inaccurately can cost you >100 calories EASILY. And that adds up FAST.
    3. Get a sense of what your daily burn is. BMR calculator is available on MFP, try to guess your activity level accurately and either include your workouts in your estimated activity level or log your workouts.

This thread is very helpful. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When people point out that one pound of muscle = one pound of fat, but fat takes up more space I like to remind them that a cubic inch of muscle takes up as much space as a cubic inch of fat, so muscle doesn't take up less space than fat. Do you see how silly that sounds from the other side?

Look, I agree that the phrase isn't accurately worded, but almost everyone who uses it understands that 1 pound = 1 pound. They're comparing equal volumes of the two substances and saying that a given amount of muscle will weight less than an equal volume of fat.

Now, can we find out if the OP is actually tracking their food and eating at a deficit or surplus before we tell them they've gained over 3 kgs of muscle in a month?

Two "toned" thumbs up to that :flowerforyou: