Family of Two. Suggestions?

Options
arogers0541
arogers0541 Posts: 98 Member
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting in this community. I have been lurking for a while at different times. My wife and I have used MFP on and off and have had success with it in the past, however we never stick to it. We have decided finally to do this program together and keep each other accountable. We have no kids currently and have a pretty difficult work routine which makes for long days. Our hardest problem is setting aside time to cook in the afternoon as which often leads us to getting fast food often because it is "convenient". We know that from here on out we have to set aside the time to cook. I think our other large problem is we are both young and never really had anyone to show us how to cook (so this will be a learning curve for us as well). We are planning on going grocery shopping (researching) some healthy options for us. I have two questions for you:

Do you have any suggestions of "snacks" that work for you if you are in a time crunch or on the run? Any snack bars or shakes that work best? (Any suggestion is appreciated)

Also, are there any meals that are somewhat healthy and easy? We are not necessarily looking for 100% healthy meals. Right now our main focus is to just get in the habit of cooking and then we will focus more on what we are cooking. We figure that just about anything that we cook will be better for us than fast food. The problem is we often have too much left over and sometimes find ourselves wasting food because there is just two of us. Do you have any meals that you cook that is ideal for just two people?

Once again, thanks in advance for your help! I look forward to the lifestyle change that is about to take place in my family and sharing it with all of you.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Prep meals ahead of time on the weekend, or whatever free day you have. You can also make use of a crock pot, where you can have a meal slowly cooking all day and is hot and ready to eat when you get home.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    For me fruits, trail mix, granola bars, cheese, and veggies are easiest to grab when I'm running out the door. I usually keep a stash of peanut butter, whole grain crackers, and yogurt at work for those days when I forget to grab something. At least I know I won't starve!
    As far as meals go, stir fries are really quick and simple and can easily be made for just two people at a time. Switch up the veggies and protein so you don't get too bored. Add a side of steamed rice and you're good to go. Grilled foods in the summertime are also super easy and you can just throw on enough for the two of you. Hope this helps a little, good luck on your journey :smile:
  • hanksmom79
    hanksmom79 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi There!

I'm a family of one so I understand it sometimes feels like a waste to cook and know so much of it will go to waste. Lately, I've learned to freeze the leftover portions immediately instead of putting them in the fridge "just in case". This accomplishes the less waste purpose but also allows me to have a healthy lunch to grab if I don't have time to pack something else.

As for cooking, I'm a big crockpot fan. You can do an internet search for "easy crockpot recipes" and the options are endless. Chicken breasts & salsa = shredded chicken tacos, Pork tenderloin + diet coke= yummy pulled pork. You can even find several blogs where you can commit to 4 or so hours of cooking and come out with dozens of freezer meals to pull out and cook on demand.

Good Luck!!
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Kr1sMar1e Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey!

As for snacks, fruit and vegetables are a great choices, but I also like trail mixes (esp. with low salt). Just don't eat too much (usually a fourth cup is good). Greek yogurt and granola is another good one.

I had to learn to how to cook, too, and really, once you get a few things under your belt, it's not that hard, not time consuming, either. One thing to try if you're busy is crock pot cooking. This is a good site: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/crock-pot-recipes.html I also like Cooking Light. Stir-fries are another easy, fast option. Finally, don't overlook baking. Once everything is prepped you just leave it in the oven, and you don't have to stand there and cook. Oh, and if you're looking for a fast, healthy high-protein oatmeal, I've got a great little recipe. Hit me up!

I'm a family of two as well (in my case, it's the kiddo and me), and I know it can seem overwhelming with work and such, but a little planning goes a long way. Start with a few meals and you'll be cooking like mad in no time. :smile:
  • JennaD075
    JennaD075 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • jnelson1028
    jnelson1028 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had the same struggle. I have never been a big cook and never really learned, but have gotten better in recent months... Here are a couple suggestions

1. Start by finding 2 recipes you would like to try before grocery shopping. Get the ingredients when shopping and then cook them within a couple days. By finding the recipe, cooking it, and realizing how good it is. It will help. Therefore it is not overwhelming and you will see the result..... Also I research 5 ingredients or less recipes to keep cooking time short. and you can continue to increase recipes you find or whatever, but 2 seems like a good way to start and it's not overwhelming.

2. With fresh veggies like broccoli, cauliflower- cut those up once you get back from the store and put in a container for easy grabs. I also cut up half a iceberg lettuce and have in a bowl so I have easy access.
  • jnelson1028
    jnelson1028 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to mention when I cook supper- I cook enough for lunch (and at most another supper) for the next day as leftovers. Much more then that and we are bad about eating leftovers.
  • kasterrett
    kasterrett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I got married when I was 21 and my husband had just turned 20. I didn't know how to cook either (and he had no desire) as I had been raised on fast food. I had cooked maybe a dozen times before I was 21, and most of them were failed attempts at deliciousness :) So I taught myself how to cook using the Cooking Channel. I no longer have cable, and I miss the three or four cooking channels (and fifteen or so shows) I watched, even after two years of being cable free! Crazy, right?

Anyway, I started with stuff like chicken parmasean, which involves dumping a bunch of sauce onto some chicken, adding cheese and throwing it in on the oven. I also recommend crock pot food, as it's mostly dump and go. Couple cans of chicken stock...random veggies in the house...some spices...some frozen chicken...BAM! Six hours later you have chicken tortilla soup. Seriously. I started with "A Year of Slow Cooking". It's a website. She's honest about how stuff turned out, try her.

I also suggest budgetbytes.com. Easy, cheap, and healthy!
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Prep meals ahead of time on the weekend, or whatever free day you have. You can also make use of a crock pot, where you can have a meal slowly cooking all day and is hot and ready to eat when you get home.

I was going to suggest this as well! I make anywhere from 3-5 dinners on Sundays, to have ready when I come home after work & the gym. Crockpot meals are always included.

Easy ideas:
    1. (as suggested above) Chicken breast or pork loin in green salsa for tacos or taco salad.
    2. Meatloaf. Make 3 or 4 at a time, and wrap them in the freezer ready to thaw & cook. Or, cook them in muffin tins for individual servings, then freeze for later.
    3. Stuffed peppers or cabbage. Mix together a little turkey Italian sausage with brown rice (google Alton Brown's brown rice recipe - it's yummy & fool-proof, make rice 1 night as a side, then use leftovers for peppers) & marinara sauce, and stuff in a pepper, and cook all day in the crockpot. You add or top with cheese, I you have the calories for it. This is my teenagers favorite.
    4. Chicken breast chili. Super easy. Couple of chicken breasts in the crockpot, topped with onions & peppers, a couple of cans of beans, a can of tomato sauce & diced tomatoes & season to taste with chili powder, cumin & oregano (or whatever you like). Cook all day in the crockpot, & the chicken shreds. Then freeze the leftovers in 2 serving portions for an easy dinner another time.

Good luck! Also, when you are bored, watch cooking shows! A lot of them teach cooking techniques.
  • kasterrett
    kasterrett Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention snacks:

Puppy Chow
    Zucchini chips (slice them real thin and then bake them, bam...potato chips only not)
    Peanut butter (or caramel) and apples (buy a handy dandy apple corer from Walmart for $10, you just push it down on the apple and you suddenly have slices)
    Ranch and carrots
    Mini bagels and cream cheese (and locks, if it's in the budget)
    Pepperoni rolls.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl site and there is also an "Eat This, Not That" book that is dedicated to food items around 300 calories or so. I tried to start a topic: "yummy lower calorie food finds" but no one has added to that thread yet. As you discover lower calorie snacks and meals please post there--I can always use suggestions. Right now I'm happy to have found Coco Pop Cakes. I found them at Target. Like a small tortilla sized thin rice cake that doesn't taste like much except crunch, but you can put a tablespoon of Nutella or Peanut Butter and it seems like a "big" snack.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Again, crockpot. I'm a huge fan of the crockpot, but I, personally, use it more in the fall and winter. We just bought a grill, so grilling chicken breasts has been a popular choice for us lately. We'll make a whole package (maybe 5 or 6 breasts). And thats usually enough for me and my BF for both dinner and lunch the next day. I'll throw the left overs over a salad for a quick easy lunch. If you don't have an actual grill, we used to use the George Foreman grill a lot. A LOT. A bag of frozen chicken breasts and some frozen veggies becomes a quick easy meal in like 10-15 minutes.

As for snacks, we like hard boiled eggs, baby carrots, nuts (I'll portion these out into serving sizes, using our kitchen scale, when I get home from the store so its easier to just grab a small baggie and go). Other options are string cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc.

Good luck!
  • arogers0541
    arogers0541 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who has posted so far. kasterrett, we are without cable also, so it will be hard for us to watch cooking shows. I thought about maybe trying to find a cooking class in our area if anyone even teaches that???

I will also be looking into some slow cooker recipes.

If anyone else has anything, please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Cheaters chicken cacciatore

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
    Pour on 1 jar good salsa

Bake at 350 for 45 min

Serve with whole wheat pasta and a side salad

Voila an amazing dinner
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is something I ate as a snack when I started. Also the 100 calorie Kelloggs Pastry Crisp are good and come in different flavors. I like to put roast in a crockpot with baby carrots, onions and potatoes cut into chunks, a can of beef broth or a beer, some garlic powder , salt , pepper and some worchestershire. Sometimes I add alittle green pepper it gives it a good taste. You can add seasonings u like I vary mine.This will cook all day . Also it can be beef or pork roast. The vegetables can be fresh or frozen. The potatoes can be canned just drain first .so can the carrots , whatever you have on hand. The crockpot can be very versatile, I even made meatballs in it the other day,skinnykitchen.com recipe. I hope this helps.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Not sure if mentioned or not, but sometimes I think convenience is worth the little bit extra...on this note....Tyson's grilled chicken, pre-cut veggies & fruit. 5 minute stir fries, chicken tacos, or salads! I love thin corn tortillas with chicken strips & some wholly guacamole or salsa (or both)! Grab some instant brown rice for a super fast stir fry! Pre-packaged salad topped with the veggies & a healthy portion of chicken strips. Veggie strips with hummus or cubed fruits with yogurt or cottage cheese makes for a quick snack.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I learned to cook with a Sunset book entitled "Easy Basics for Good Cooking," and there's a great newer book called "Keys to the Kitchen" which has tasty recipes, illustrations about techniques, and a very readable style.

I'm also a fan of crockpot365 and smitten kitchen blogs and recipes.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention snacks:

Puppy Chow
    Zucchini chips (slice them real thin and then bake them, bam...potato chips only not)
    Peanut butter (or caramel) and apples (buy a handy dandy apple corer from Walmart for $10, you just push it down on the apple and you suddenly have slices)
    Ranch and carrots
    Mini bagels and cream cheese (and locks, if it's in the budget)
    Pepperoni rolls.
    Puppy chow?
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting in this community. I have been lurking for a while at different times. My wife and I have used MFP on and off and have had success with it in the past, however we never stick to it. We have decided finally to do this program together and keep each other accountable. We have no kids currently and have a pretty difficult work routine which makes for long days. Our hardest problem is setting aside time to cook in the afternoon as which often leads us to getting fast food often because it is "convenient". We know that from here on out we have to set aside the time to cook. I think our other large problem is we are both young and never really had anyone to show us how to cook (so this will be a learning curve for us as well). We are planning on going grocery shopping (researching) some healthy options for us. I have two questions for you:

Do you have any suggestions of "snacks" that work for you if you are in a time crunch or on the run? Any snack bars or shakes that work best? (Any suggestion is appreciated)

Also, are there any meals that are somewhat healthy and easy? We are not necessarily looking for 100% healthy meals. Right now our main focus is to just get in the habit of cooking and then we will focus more on what we are cooking. We figure that just about anything that we cook will be better for us than fast food. The problem is we often have too much left over and sometimes find ourselves wasting food because there is just two of us. Do you have any meals that you cook that is ideal for just two people?

Once again, thanks in advance for your help! I look forward to the lifestyle change that is about to take place in my family and sharing it with all of you.
    ARog;
    You've received a bunch of good suggestions already of ideas that "work" for the various posters.
    Unlike you, as the first born son in an Italian family I had the good fortune (or curse?) of growing up in the kitchen. My bride, OTOH, learned how to boil water and make jiffypop, that was pretty much the extent of "home cooked" in her house.
    Today she approaches "world class" (if I do say so myself).
    Anyway, the point is, none of us were born knowing how to cook so, like anything else, just jump in the water's fine.

Regarding your "fast food" addiction (or necessity), it's really not *devil* you've been led to believe it is. It CAN be, of course, but it need not be.
    Here's an interesting video that might change your understanding of what is (in the minds of some) "myth" or "conventional wisdom".
    http://tinyurl.com/cr5fx68

I'm not advocating for the fast food industry (certainly they have earned much of the shame that has been bestowed upon them), but neither am I an advocate for common knowledge - memes which take on a life of their own despite living in a "fact free" zone.

Cooking 5 or 6 meals "ahead" on the weekend works for others, it doesn't for us and while crockpotism is great once in a while, it too isn't something that will ever become daily fare in our house - to each his/her own.

Once you build up a decent set of kitchen basics (and gadgets), and get "comfortable" it's really quite easy (even on a tight schedule) to "throw" something together quite quickly and for it to be healthy, nutritious, fresh, and meet your specific dietary goals.

In addition to the basics, you will absolutely need a good, and versatile kitchen scale, set of measuring cups (pyrex, various sizes 1cp to 4) and measuring spoons.
    In scales, you can spend a fortune but need not do so. We'd recommend digital, grams and ounces, and the ability to "zero out" the weight of a plate or bowl. They're available from about 10 dollars and up. Here's an example:
    http://tinyurl.com/p7288ny

The other, absolute "musts" are, a good digital bathroom scale, and a good (and user friendly) tracking app/program. MFP is as good as any (better than some, others prefer different UI's), you just need to find one that works for you set aside the few minutes EVERY day to keep it current. Log food and weight daily but DO NOT "obsess" over daily weight fluctuations (takes 2-3 weeks, at least, for trends to be meaningful.)
    We find that looking at our daily totals (and what's "left"), makes deciding on the dinner menu much easier. How many cals, fats, carbs are left and adjusting portion size to "hit" daily goals.

On the bathroom scale, there too one can spend a ton on the latest, greatest, 700 function, wifi enabled "cadillac" or for ~30 bucks try this:
    http://tinyurl.com/pnrseot

Finally, the VERY best thing you have working in your favor is the fact that you and your wife are "in this together" - if I were to list those things responsible for our success, that we are too would be, far and away, number 1.
  • hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Best website ever!