Green Smoothie Challenge

Options
Has any one had any sucess with any of the Green Smoothie Challenges? We have been working toward living a helathier/more green lifestyle at work and one of my coworker's suggested trying it after someone she knows completed the challenge for a week and lost 8-10 lbs.

The book/recipes that we are basing our information from is author JJ Smith. My main concern is that I'm so used to logging calories, (even though it states you can drink as much you want since its low in calories) and am curious to know if those that have tried the challenge are logging ingredients indvidually or have a total amount of calories for the smoothies per ounce.? My other question is where you subsituting all meals with the green smoothies? I'm thinking about only substituting breakfast and lunch and then for dinner working to get more protein with chicken and tuna recipes.

Any help would be gladly appreciated!!! I have a goal to lose 30lbs by mid/end September. :smile:

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You'll be better off eating real food, unless you plan on drinking smoothies every single day for the rest of your life.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    You'll be better off eating real food, unless you plan on drinking smoothies every single day for the rest of your life.

depending on recipes, can't some smoothies just be the equivalent of chewing well?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

depending on recipes, can't some smoothies just be the equivalent of chewing well?

If your jaw is wired shut, I would imagine so. That's no way to live.
  • _John_
    Options

If your jaw is wired shut, I would imagine so. That's no way to live.

so does it magically ruin some quality of the food or what?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Quality no, but why have molars?
  • _John_
    Options

well, even vegans have canine teeth...not sure I get the point there.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

well, even vegans have canine teeth...not sure I get the point there.

Vegan is a personal choice, as are smoothies ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm still hungry even when I drink very heavy thick smoothies- they fill my hunger needs for about 45 minutes- then I need to EAT something.

It's just not good enough for me really.

But if you think you can do it- meh- go for it.
  • jjlange1
    jjlange1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    HI there--- I still log them in myfitnesspal but I've built the smoothies I like best in the recipes and use them over again. I think it is a good idea because fruit can make a smoothie calories and carbs skyrockets really easily. I feel great on this and I'm going to do 60 days until my nieces wedding and a vacation in Mexico. I'm a five days in and have lost 4 pounds and have 30 to lose. Good luck with it and you can message me any time!
  • Jonesie1012
    Jonesie1012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm starting a 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge tomorrow (July 1)!! I'd love to hear how yours is going! I've done it once before and only lost maybe 5 lbs. However, I wasn't focusing on the rest of my meals and I couldn't do it everyday because of traveling. I still may have a few days like that this time, but I'm going to try my best! The main benefit I got out of it last time was increased energy! I just had them once a day for breakfast as a meal replacement. I usually would add some type of protein to them (usually plain low fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese) to make them more filling, otherwise I was STARVING by lunch!

This time I'm hoping to see more of a weight-loss benefit, but I'll be focusing more on my diet the rest of the day as well! Plus I'll be channeling some of the increased energy into working out more! If you'd like to join me, this is the site I use for the challenge (It's Free!).

http://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge

They send you weekly shopping lists and recipes (just for suggestions - not a required plan), which are very helpful because Green Smoothies certainly take a lot of trial and error to find recipes that you like!!

If you have any other questions or want a challenge partner, feel free to message me!
  • Jonesie1012
    Jonesie1012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Day 3 Update:

I started the green smoothie challenge on Tuesday, combined with healthier eating habits and some running. So far I am already down 4.2 lbs. I know that is mostly water weight, but it is still motivating!! I feel more energized and look forward to trying new recipes for my smoothie breakfast each day! I know this weekend is going to be challenging with the holiday due to cookouts, alcohol, and everything else tempting me to eat poorly and not exercise, but I'm hoping to at least maintain what I've lost.

I'd love to hear from anyone else doing the Green Smoothie Challenge and their results!
  • gaylemarcy
    Options
    I completed the 10 Day Smoothie Detox last week. I feel great. Smoothies were awesome. I still have two shakes a day and a "clean" dinner. I am in this for the long haul, I used the detox to kick of my "clean eating". I have not craved sugar at all! Have not had a cup of coffee for two weeks. The initial 10 days, I lost 13 lbs. I am maintaining that and hope to incorporate some exercise to accompany my new "clean eating" to lose the other 30 lbs! Its not a diet, its a lifestyle change. I went through 4th of July - drinking smoothies. (my kids ate Chinese delivery! Happy Independence day. oops) We had a picnic last night, I made Spanish quionoa, we ate it and fresh fruit. It CAN be done! It IS worth it! I honestly don't think I will mind eating a smoothie every day. Its easy, healthy and good. Good luck to you!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Day 560 update:

I have a green smoothie 3-5 days a week, (I think it's green because I add spinach or kale).
    I also eat at a deficit when I need to drop a few, or maintenance when I don't.
    I exercise regularly using walking/running and lift weights
    Have dropped 20lbs and 3-4 pant sizes, (depending on the brand)

Following a magic diet or cleanse will only lead you to post in the "Need Motivation and Support" threads in a few months.

Best of luck to you, however you choose to partake:flowerforyou:
  • cdh504
    cdh504 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the big summer juice Detox with Jason vale. Day two and I'm full all of the time. I love his juices and they've already been put in mfp. I'm not too concerned though with this type of Detox.
  • chosenbyheart1
    chosenbyheart1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am doing the green smoothie challenge. I log my drink under breakfast to count toward my calories and sip throughout the day. It is already accounted for. The allowable snacks I track as well. I am on the facebook page with GSC as well and ask questions live with the group that is participating.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options

I am not always hungry and making smoothies helps me get extra protein and calories in. Peanut butter, banana and chocolate protein powder can help me get the added extra in especially when i am training for an event.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm starting a 30-Day Green Smoothie Challenge tomorrow (July 1)!! I'd love to hear how yours is going! I've done it once before and only lost maybe 5 lbs. However, I wasn't focusing on the rest of my meals and I couldn't do it everyday because of traveling. I still may have a few days like that this time, but I'm going to try my best! The main benefit I got out of it last time was increased energy! I just had them once a day for breakfast as a meal replacement. I usually would add some type of protein to them (usually plain low fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese) to make them more filling, otherwise I was STARVING by lunch!

This time I'm hoping to see more of a weight-loss benefit, but I'll be focusing more on my diet the rest of the day as well! Plus I'll be channeling some of the increased energy into working out more! If you'd like to join me, this is the site I use for the challenge (It's Free!).

http://simplegreensmoothies.com/30-day-challenge

They send you weekly shopping lists and recipes (just for suggestions - not a required plan), which are very helpful because Green Smoothies certainly take a lot of trial and error to find recipes that you like!!

If you have any other questions or want a challenge partner, feel free to message me!

why does everyone talk about only loosing water weight. I mean if you drink half your weight in oz of water a day (wich is a good rule of thumb) how do you loose only water weight. I need to look this up I think its a myth. Be happy about the weight you lost. Don't diminish it by calling it "only" water weight.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i don't see how green smoothies are not real food lol spinach banana, strawberries, kale, pb etc are not real food? lol
    when i was doing them in jan before i got sick (colitis flare) i lost 11 lbs (first month back on the band wagon after holidays so water weight too i am sure).
    I was only having them for breaky (and i did track the ingredients on mfp) and a healthy lunch and supper (protein, good fats, veg at both meals) and trying to stay away from more processed foods.

I like them on mornings i don't feel like packing a breaky to go to work or cooking eggs, and they are useful for me to get in some of my vitamins (liquid iron, etc... that i don't digest well as a pill but need cuz of my UC)

now i am eating eggs, veg and fruit and good fat most mornings, but if it's too hot or i don't feel like cooking before work i would whip one up... i don't rely on them as i like to chew my fruits and veg too and am doing just as well that way... more full with protein and a good fat in the morning, so if you can add those things to keep satiated then shouldn't be too bad.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my smoothies. I drink them everyday. I could happily have just smoothies all the way to dinner time, I don't know if I want to do it exclusively though but smoothies are awesome!
    ???????????????????????? are you getting that I love smoothies??? Hehehe
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love my green smoothies! I have one for breakfast 3-5 times a week, mostly because I don't always have time to make something and sit down to eat or I just may not feel like eating before I leave the house. I can whip one up in under 5 minutes, toss it in a travel mug and sip it as I go about my morning.