Can I really count "cooking or food prep" as exercise??

Options
I cook 3 nights a week at a local restaurant, i just noticed that this is an "exercise" type on MFP, should I be logging this? I knew that i got a little workout every night from running around the kitchen, repetative chopping, etc etc...but i never thought to count it as exercise...

Replies

• beetlevt
    Options
    I know *I* count it...I'll count anything LOL! And restaurant cooking is more intensive than home cooking, I believe. I would tack on a few extra calories burned, if I were you.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Your work should already be factored in when you chose "sedentary, lightly active", etc. Now that being said, I must confess that I counted "moving boxes" one night because I went over my calories. I stock shelves at a grocery store a couple of nights a week and usually don't count that. I usually only count when I actually put on exercise shorts and sweat. Good luck :)
  • ElsieMae
    Options
    i think you should count it , if you are moving and busy isn"t that exercise , keep moving , you are using energy and it's all good . And if you enjoy it thats a bonus , they say you should find something that you like and do it , Keep moving , Have a Great Day
  • rayfromtx
    rayfromtx Posts: 111
    Options
    Are you losing weight at the rate you should be according to your current calculations? Then don't count it. Are you losing faster than you should be? Count it. Not sure yet? Don't count it and keep an eye on your weight loss rates and adjust as necessary. This whole thing is based on estimates and educated guesses. Use the results to modify your estimates. I never counted food prep and I cook every day. Perhaps my guesses elsewhere, such as my activity rate evened it out in the long run. I tried to lose 2 pounds a week and I lost almost exactly 2 pounds a week for months. I guessed right and adjusted as necessary. If I hit a plateau, I cut back for a few days until the scale started to move again. You will get a feel for it with time.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I would say no. Your work should already be factored in when you chose "sedentary, lightly active", etc. Now that being said, I must confess that I counted "moving boxes" one night because I went over my calories. I stock shelves at a grocery store a couple of nights a week and usually don't count that. I usually only count when I actually put on exercise shorts and sweat. Good luck :)
    I picked Sedentary, lightly active because 5 days a week i sit at a desk. its a very different story when i work at the restaurant. I didn't use it to "get under my calories"
  • 311Phil
    Options
    i think you should count it , if you are moving and busy isn"t that exercise , keep moving , you are using energy and it's all good . And if you enjoy it thats a bonus , they say you should find something that you like and do it , Keep moving , Have a Great Day
    Thanks! Love cooking just wished it payed better!
  • 311Phil
    Options
    Are you losing weight at the rate you should be according to your current calculations? Then don't count it. Are you losing faster than you should be? Count it. Not sure yet? Don't count it and keep an eye on your weight loss rates and adjust as necessary. This whole thing is based on estimates and educated guesses. Use the results to modify your estimates. I never counted food prep and I cook every day. Perhaps my guesses elsewhere, such as my activity rate evened it out in the long run. I tried to lose 2 pounds a week and I lost almost exactly 2 pounds a week for months. I guessed right and adjusted as necessary. If I hit a plateau, I cut back for a few days until the scale started to move again. You will get a feel for it with time.
    I was losing it faster than expected, but it has kind slowed. Im well under my "2lb a week goal" as I've dropped 15 pounds in 18 days.
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Go by how you feel afterwards. If you feel puffed, tired, hot and you worked up a sweat well yes add it because those are an indication that you have raised your heartrate level and therefore burned calories. If you feel the same as before you began work then no I probably wouldnt add them and would be asking myself why Im looking for a way to add calories (food) to what Im eating. I would see it as a way of burning extra calories that doesnt require a gym visit or more time out of what is probably already quite a busy life.
  • antipholous
    Options
    You're going to lose the weight whether you log it or not. I think being pleasantly surprised by not logging it would be better than mildly disappointed by logging it.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    You're going to lose the weight whether you log it or not. I think being pleasantly surprised by not logging it would be better than mildly disappointed by logging it.
    this is a good point :) thank bro.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    Go by how you feel afterwards. If you feel puffed, tired, hot and you worked up a sweat well yes add it because those are an indication that you have raised your heartrate level and therefore burned calories. If you feel the same as before you began work then no I probably wouldnt add them and would be asking myself why Im looking for a way to add calories (food) to what Im eating. I would see it as a way of burning extra calories that doesnt require a gym visit or more time out of what is probably already quite a busy life.

I suppose i can wear my HRM when i get it to see if i actually do burn enough to "count"
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Count it ONLY as long as your activity status is set to sedentary. If you are set to lightly active because of your job than that bit of running around you do is already counted.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

The sweat may come from the temperature in the kitchen so I wouldn’t use that as an indicator. Also, you can walk for hours in an amusement park for example and your HR never increases by much (maybe to 100 or so, my resting is 52) but that doesn't mean those hours of walking don't count as exercise, you just have to log them as the 2.0 slow walk and be honest about how much time you spent walking vs. sitting and eating or on rides.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it, but perhaps set the lifestyle function to lightly or even moderately active, and then log formal exercising seperately.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. If I was overweight while doing that activity before trying to lose weight, then I dont count it. If its a new activity that I've taken on in order to increase my activity level in an effort to shed pounds, I count it.

For example, Ive been lifting my daughter for the past 21 months. Into the car seat, into the crib, carrying her car seat, carrying her quite often. I gained weight/was overweight while doing thos activities, so I dont count them as exercise. They were part of my daily activity all along.
    Now that Ive dedicated myself to losing weight the healthy way, I only log activities that I intend as exercise. Treadmill, workout DVD, weight lifting, etc. If I get my heart rate up, I count it.
    The daily activity of lifting my daughter, carrying her around, giving her a bath (more of a workout than I thought it would be!), or chasing her around is just a bonus as far as calories burned. If it encourages more weight to fall of, GREAT! But since I have to do it either way, its just part of my activity level.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss success so far!! Keep it up!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use the "have I always done this" thought process.. I don't log cooking, cleaning, shopping unless the activity itself is beyond the norm. I gained weight while cooking, cleaning, shopping so logging it as exercise - to me - doesn't make sense. However, on a day when I climb up and down the stairs 20 times carrying boxes so I can decorate - that I will log. It's a periodic activity. If you have always had your job cooking, than your weight gain happened in spite it. Using it as an exercise now will only slow down your efforts.

and Yes, I wish it paid better too. I LOVE COOKING..
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. If I was overweight while doing that activity before trying to lose weight, then I dont count it. If its a new activity that I've taken on in order to increase my activity level in an effort to shed pounds, I count it.

I think that's a very sensible way of looking at a realistic activity level. :smile:
  • 311Phil
    Options
    to be clear, i don't want to add this to "eat the calories i burn" im well under calories without adding exercise. Im looking for an accurate count of my physical activity.

my "activity level" is set to sedentary, because i spend most of my week sitting at a desk. 3 days a week I cook at night, so it makes me slightly more active. I think the only true way i'll get my answer is to wear my HRM when i recieve it and see what it says.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options