Alcohol.

Options
vickymva
vickymva Posts: 46 Member
Hi,

I never used to drink before except for very rare occasions. Maybe about 4 times a year and then I would have 2 drinks for the most and be totally floating.

Since I started losing some of my weight I have been trying to go out more and be social.

The strange thing is last week I went out for my Birthday and had 3 Pina Coladas, two of which were double shots, 2 blue shots of some sort and a triple shot and felt nothing. I was perfectly fine. Mind you it was spread over 5 hours but still that was an immense amount for me. Of course that with 1 piece of chocolate cake and I was up 5 lbs the next morning and I am not kidding.

1. I would have thought with the less body weight I would have felt the drinks more? and more importantly
2. What are good low calorie drinks? because obviously I can't continue to have my favorite Pina Coladas. I don't like beer, or Rum and coke.

Thanks
Vicky

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I have found spirits mixed with diet soda to be quite low.

Dry white wine is supposed to be quite low too - I don't like wine so haven't checked it out though.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Please tell me. Putting 5 lbs on in the one night is an exaggeration.
    I would expect that to take a fortnight...
  • paperpudding
    Options

Obviously it isn't 5 lb of fat gain.

People can put on that much temporary water weight though
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I like white wine with a few ice cubes....I don't think that's too bad. Plus - I have gained 5 pounds overnight before - -most of it is probably just water....get back to the program and you'll probably get rid of it in a day or 2.
  • willgetchaz
    Options
    I've found that when you are dieting and counting calories, you tend to eat your 3 big meals supplemented with smart snack choices leaving your tummy full which helps you not get affected by the alcohol much... Im assuming your chocolate cake slice was most likely a HUGE snack and it filled you up nicely
  • vickymva
    Options

I am totally serious. I wanted to cry the next morning.
  • vickymva
    Options
    I've found that when you are dieting and counting calories, you tend to eat your 3 big meals supplemented with smart snack choices leaving your tummy full which helps you not get affected by the alcohol much... Im assuming your chocolate cake slice was most likely a HUGE snack and it filled you up nicely

I was huge and where as a month ago I would have eaten all I shared with people around me and left a little back. But I had made fun earlier that this was the first birthday that I did not have cake and ice cream (by my choice) and when I came back to the table they handed it to me singing. So I felt I had to have some. And chocolate cake is not even my favourite lol
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    1. The concept that "bigger" people will always have a higher alcohol tolerance is a bit of an oversimplification. It is true that a large, fit/muscular man will have to drink more to get drunk than a slender, small fit man but when we talk about size there is a difference between a big fit man and a big fat man.

Here is an interesting article talking about how body fat contributes to getting a higher blood alcohol content faster.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120424/island05/704249958#

So the good news is ... you are more fit and less fat! It will take more alcohol to get your blood alcohol content up than it did when you had more body fat.

This is also why women get drunk faster than a man of the same weight. They have naturally higher percentages of body fat.

2. You didn't really gain 5 lbs. Your body is probably storing glycogen in response to the sugar/carb binge and the alcohol. A couple of weeks ago I did the same thing. I was up 5 lbs in one night and 1 week later (after eating sensibly all week) I dropped down 7. ( giving me a loss of 2 lbs for 2 weeks which is right where my calorie consumption should have put me.)
  • vickymva
    Options
    1. The concept that "bigger" people will always have a higher alcohol tolerance is a bit of an oversimplification. It is true that a large, fit/muscular man will have to drink more to get drunk than a slender, small fit man but when we talk about size there is a difference between a big fit man and a big fat man.

Here is an interesting article talking about how body fat contributes to getting a higher blood alcohol content faster.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120424/island05/704249958#

So the good news is ... you are more fit and less fat! It will take more alcohol to get your blood alcohol content up than it did when you had more body fat.

This is also why women get drunk faster than a man of the same weight. They have naturally higher percentages of body fat.

2. You didn't really gain 5 lbs. Your body is probably storing glycogen in response to the sugar/carb binge and the alcohol. A couple of weeks ago I did the same thing. I was up 5 lbs in one night and 1 week later (after eating sensibly all week) I dropped down 7. ( giving me a loss of 2 lbs for 2 weeks which is right where my calorie consumption should have put me.)

Thanks for that useful infor. And it gives me a bit of hope if it suggest that I am more fit. :-)
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble getting drunk in the Caribbean, I think that they water down the booze there. I stopped drinking so much a few years ago, now 2 is my max. I make sangria most of the time, it's very light. Use half red or white wine, half club soda, over ice, Squeeze in a wedge of orange and possibly lemon or lime and sweeten with 1-2 teaspoon sugar or honey. Please don't use artificial sweeteners because they are so very bad for you. There is a lot of documentation out there about the dangers, and side effects of artificial sweeteners. It's also been scientifically proven that they cause people to gain weight.
  • surfingsmoothie
    surfingsmoothie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, those 5 lbs are likely just water weight, you'll lose them in no time. As far as alcohol goes I've heard (and you'll have to look this one up to make sure) that your body works on processing the alcohol before it works on anything else, so maybe your body just needs to finish digesting.

My favorite drink out is vodka soda (plain seltzer or club soda) with lime. Target has that La Croix coconut seltzer, add a little vodka or rum and a little stevia and you won't feel like you're missing much. These have far less calories than say Piña Colada.
  • zenrunner1
    zenrunner1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Why not ditch the alcohol completely? It is just empty calories. Yes, I know about the heart health benefits of red wine, etc. But really, it isn't something your body needs.
  • sammistone1985
    Options
    Our bodies don't need half of the junk we feed it...but that's why it's all oh so good!! ;)
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com
  • vickymva
    Options
    I've always had trouble getting drunk in the Caribbean, I think that they water down the booze there. I stopped drinking so much a few years ago, now 2 is my max. I make sangria most of the time, it's very light. Use half red or white wine, half club soda, over ice, Squeeze in a wedge of orange and possibly lemon or lime and sweeten with 1-2 teaspoon sugar or honey. Please don't use artificial sweeteners because they are so very bad for you. There is a lot of documentation out there about the dangers, and side effects of artificial sweeteners. It's also been scientifically proven that they cause people to gain weight.

Hi Steve,

Not in Trinidad. Our Alcohol is very potent.
    As you talk about artificial sweeteners, up to 1 1/2 months ago I used to drink at least 3 liters of Diet coke/Zero a day. Have cut down a lot. I was seriously addicted. Would even get up at night to have a glass and had to have one as soon as I got up. pretty bad I know. :-(
  • paperpudding
    Options
    ......... Please don't use artificial sweeteners because they are so very bad for you. There is a lot of documentation out there about the dangers, and side effects of artificial sweeteners. It's also been scientifically proven that they cause people to gain weight.

This part is just nonsense.

OP read the sticky thread about aspartame if you like.

Artificial sweeteners do NOT cause people to gain weight and they are NOT very bad for you.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Why not ditch the alcohol completely? It is just empty calories. Yes, I know about the heart health benefits of red wine, etc. But really, it isn't something your body needs.

Of course it isn't something our bodies need - but that doesn't mean drinking alcohol - in sensible moderation of course - cant be part of a healthy lifestyle.

Just like chocolates, cake, anything really - people have it because they like it and they enjoy it. Everything in life isn't about what our body needs.
  • vickymva
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com

Thank you so much for that link. That is exactly what I have been looking for to compare. :-)
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great link.

I. Love. Margaritas.

Now I just need to figure out how to make one that isn't 900 calories!