Hypothyroidism and weight loss

Options
Hello, all! Over the past 5 years I have gained about 50-60 lbs. During this time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. For the past two years I have been taking synthroid/levothyroxine. After feeling like the medication have been useless for some time, my regular doctor finally is sending me to an endocrinologist. I'm hoping they can get my symptoms under control and help me find a better medication. However, my must frustrating dilemma is that I just cannot lose weight. No matter what I do, nothing seems to help. I have tried limiting my calorie intake, I've done intense exercise, I've cut carbs, done Atkins. It seems I can effectively drop around 10 pounds and then nothing. And then those 10 pounds come back and I'm right back where I started. So to say I've been utterly discouraged is an understatement. My question is for all of you out there who have this same disease. What has worked for you? What foods work best? Exercises? I would love to hear any of your recommendations and suggestions!

Replies

• leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in April and have been struggling with the same thing. It is extremely frustrating. I am on a 24 day challenge (10 cleanse, 14 day rebuild) right now which helps tremendously with water weight. Hypo causes a lot of water retention so increasing my fiber intake has helped tremendously as well. However, I have not gone down yet with weight. My doctor said that I shouldn't count on losing the 20 lbs I gained between November and April. I don't believe that though. Perhaps add other considerations for measuring progress like inches and journal water gains. Water isn't fat but it sure does make one feel that way.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5 day a week exercises since I was found to have the condition in May 2012. I do three days of cardio and two days of strength training. I have used MFP steadily since then. I went from 238 lbs with a 41" natural waist to 214 lbs (today) with a 32.5 inch natural waist. I am using Levothyroxine every morning before breakfast. It has worked for me. No really food suggestions over than trying to cut out the fast food.
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in April and have been struggling with the same thing. It is extremely frustrating. I am on a 24 day challenge (10 cleanse, 14 day rebuild) right now which helps tremendously with water weight. Hypo causes a lot of water retention so increasing my fiber intake has helped tremendously as well. However, I have not gone down yet with weight. My doctor said that I shouldn't count on losing the 20 lbs I gained between November and April. I don't believe that though. Perhaps add other considerations for measuring progress like inches and journal water gains. Water isn't fat but it sure does make one feel that way.

Note: she also blamed the weight gain on my age which I call B.S. too. I will be 40 on Sunday. I maintained 145 for several years and a lot of it muscle. I have a good amount of muscle under my fat layers. In addition, track your cholesterol, BP, sugars, and other health indicators.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • yablomx10
    yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who have replied! Thank you for referring me to the existing groups, I have posted my questions there as well. As far as blood tests, I'm planning on having my Free T3, Free T4 and antibodies checked in addition to my TSH. Are there any others that your docs test for? My GP only ever tested for TSH, so for my referral I am requesting additional tests. Anything else I should suggest?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Anything else I should suggest?
    Vitamin D.
  • thisgirlsonfire
    thisgirlsonfire Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration with hypothyroidism. I have had hypothyroidism for 18 years. I'm 42 now. I get my levels checked once a year and take synthroid 100mcg. As a personal trainer living with hypothyroidism and have clients who have hypothyroidism I've come to ask my self is it the diseases or my nutritional lifestyle? I don't do cleansing as this is a diet. Rather I drink a gallon of water a day so bloating has never been an issue. I take my synthroid 2 hours before breakfast on a empty stomach as the synthroid need to metabolize in the stomach. I have lost weight on synthroid and have been successful. My clients have all been successful as well. Synthroid is meant to level out your under active thyroid. If your thyroid is functioning in normal range then so is your organs including your internal metabolic system. If your not losing weight check your calorie intake? See if your eating to few calories or to much? If your Yo-Yo on the scale then your dieting and we all know that lifestyle leaves us frustrated. I really do wish you the best..
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    just things I have discovered-Avoid soy-It causes problems with the thyroid and I eat sea salt Pink himalayan- Iodide-We use to have it in table salt but not anymore. It helped me start to lose again.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    just things I have discovered-Avoid soy-It causes problems with the thyroid and I eat sea salt Pink himalayan- Iodide-We use to have it in table salt but not anymore. It helped me start to lose again.
    According to the Mayo Clinic & the NIH (and my endocrinologist), there are no foods to avoid (or eat more of) because of hypothyroidism.
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    I have asked my doctors many times if soy products, soy protein shakes etc are bad for me to take or negatively affect my thyroid and they all keep assuring me that it really makes no difference. one said it would only maybe make any difference if i took a soy shake with my armourthyroid… I got on thyroid meds for my hyypothyroid last year and lost weight at a regular pace with exercise, and now my levels are going up and i am gaining again. very frustrating. but I don't want to keep increasing my meds :0/ I'm only 24 and I feel like I'm giving up on my body by relying on meds if that makes sense. it was very hard to understand why I would have a thyroid condition when I live a healthy life, but I guess having kids can really just change things…
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic & the NIH (and my endocrinologist), there are no foods to avoid (or eat more of) because of hypothyroidism.

I have a problem with soy and when I began eating more soy in my diet My thyroid meds began going up so soy and my thyroid are not a good combo-As I feel the effects physically and mentally after eating soy. It is also a fact that there is no iodine in our salt so I added it to help. I researched the correlation and as it is a spice and it is helping I see no problem