Plantar fasciitis?

Options
I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and it makes it difficult to certain kinds of exercises. I want to do a variety of things but my feet just hurt too badly. Just recently, I was in a body combat class at 24 Hour Fitness and my feet hurt so badly, I wanted to cry. Any sort of pressure such as jumping, standing on one leg, marching, etc. causes me pain. I modify the exercises as much as possible but I'm sick of not having a real solution. My doctor just sent me a list of foot stretches which is nice but I'm not sure it is enough.

I have nice comfy shoes but ditched the arch supports because they felt funny and didn't seem to help. Anybody have this issue and what did you do?

Replies

• Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Stretching is actually good for relief. Good shoes help as well. Try using a belt, towel, or something and wrapping it around your foot and pulling to stretch that way. And/or rolling a tennis ball on the bottom of your foot.
  • sjack44
    sjack44 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am watching with interest as I too have this problem. Nothing much I have tried seems to help and I have had it for years. Mostly I would suggest cycling or swimming especially when it flares up...I find if I do too much walking or weight bearing exercises then I can hardly walk the next day :(
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Tennis ball or golf ball under the arch, but honestly, you may need to stay off it for a while. Unfortunately continuing to try to use the injured muscles/tendons usually just aggravates it and makes it worse. And I say that having to stop running for three weeks now because I tried to run on a tendon injury in my ankle because I thought it was better after only one week off...

ETA: As for preventing if it's a continuous issue, I've found I have to constantly work to keep every muscle from my lower back down from tightening up too much, otherwise, I'll fix one thing and end up with something else injured instead. The entire lower body works as a chain, get too tight in one location and it can throw everything else off.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I suffered from it as well. I wore the boot to bed, stretched before rising, rolled the frozen bottle of water under my foot, gave up ALL flat shoes, wore a good set of Keens almost everywhere, made sure even my tennis shoes had a bit of heel, and lost 50#. Gone. Haven't had a problem in a year now. I do whatever jumping, running, jogging life and workout calls for. I hope you have the same results that I did because it is a b**ch to live with.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Had this for around six months, slow to sort out... Could barely walk after getting out of bed, took good 10 mins to be able to put weight fully on feet :(

The arch support is annoying but helps over the long term. Shoes with small heel also does the trick. Flats shoes disaster for me, all running/walking trainers need to be motion control type..

Being more careful I'm almost cured of foot pain. You probably need to address it early as you can get complications if left untreated.
  • blueyedsonja
    Options
    I had this problem when I worked at my last job as I was on my feet all day. I quit that job and am not on my feet too much at my new job. Also I bought a foot massager that looks like slippers. I used this daily for a long time. That seemed to help a lot. Overall, you just need to stay off your feet as much as possible for a while.
  • ddtharp
    ddtharp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When mine flairs up, I tape it. I noticed that there are a lot of different how-videos on YouTube. I haven't looked through them yet, but mainly I try to get the tape to act like an arch support. It's a matter of taping front to back and side to side.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Once I lost weight and started wearing Birkenstocks around the house, mine got much better. Haven't had pain in over a year.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    Mine went away after losing almost 100 pounds. I did stay away from any jumping type of workouts in the beginning but it slowly went away. Now I only get slight tingles every now and again and it's been about 4 years. Have you considered doing Yoga or Pilates?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not generic arch supports, but orthotics in all shoes I had. I only paid for one podiatrist made pair, then duplicated the method on mail order set using same foam boxes.
    Also found local place that used underfoot custom design method, just as good. Dr made expensive, mail-order carbon fiber low profile for cycling shoes about $110, local made $80.
    I still use them in shoes that do not bend like foot wants to., like cycling and dress shoes.

And backed off pounding exercises to allow healing. Cycling, swimming, lifting (no feet weight bearing though).

It had been probably 8 years dealing with it never fully healing up, until this concerted effort. You have damage in the tendon, it doesn't heal unless you stop stressing it. Which normal daily walking is probably enough, considering how long to still get better.

Took almost a year to heal completely.
    Slowly came back with thick shoe running, but barefoot mid-foot strike style. Progressed to minimalist shoes.
    That made them so much stronger.

So strong in fact that when I stupidly increased the pace of my 3 x weekly running a 10K, I got a plantar sprain. No activity for 6 weeks while in boot. But came back able to go again, much faster repair because different type of injury.

Don't suffer many years - you'll regret it years later looking back.
    Do it right, do it quick (for that tendon anyway).
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    1# Stretching at least once every hour during your day. Concrete curbs are great to stretch against.
    2# Were the inserts prescribed by an orthopedic? Mine had this hard plastic that covered the whole underside of heel did help. The cheap ones with cushions you could take out didn't.
    3# Cortisone shots (hurt like Holy Hell when your getting them) but can help relieve for a while. I had 7 in one year when I worked standing on concrete floors 12 hour shifts.
    4# Wear good shoes with arch support. I love Clark's brand in a clog.

Rest them. Roll feet on frozen water bottles, tennis balls, or the like. I finally ended up ripping mine running so surgery was no longer needed. Surgery is similar to carpal tunnel were they go in and cut the tendon I believe.
  • fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had it for over a year and it was state of the art awful - I tried nearly everything from massaging, foot-rollers, ice packs, shoe implants cortisone injections etc, but it didn't improve (these have worked for other people, but I was unlucky). Finally I had shockwave therapy on my feet - based on ultrasound, it feels horribly like someone is going to task on you with a small hammer!. It did work after a few treatments. Persevere with treatments till you find what works for you
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Not generic arch supports, but orthotics in all shoes I had. I only paid for one podiatrist made pair, then duplicated the method on mail order set using same foam boxes.
    Also found local place that used underfoot custom design method, just as good. Dr made expensive, mail-order carbon fiber low profile for cycling shoes about $110, local made $80.
    I still use them in shoes that do not bend like foot wants to., like cycling and dress shoes.

And backed off pounding exercises to allow healing. Cycling, swimming, lifting (no feet weight bearing though).

It had been probably 8 years dealing with it never fully healing up, until this concerted effort. You have damage in the tendon, it doesn't heal unless you stop stressing it. Which normal daily walking is probably enough, considering how long to still get better.

Took almost a year to heal completely.
    Slowly came back with thick shoe running, but barefoot mid-foot strike style. Progressed to minimalist shoes.
    That made them so much stronger.

So strong in fact that when I stupidly increased the pace of my 3 x weekly running a 10K, I got a plantar sprain. No activity for 6 weeks while in boot. But came back able to go again, much faster repair because different type of injury.

Don't suffer many years - you'll regret it years later looking back.
    Do it right, do it quick (for that tendon anyway).

I also transitioned to minimalist shoes for similar reasons, but if that is something you are thinking about, please really research it and take it slowly. My dumb butt knew better and still tried to do too much after taking a two month break from running. :grumble:
  • karins4
    karins4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What helped me the most was stretching. There are two ways I found most helpful. One was to stand on the stairs with the heel hanging off the edge...drop the heel below the step to feel a comfortable stretch and hold for a few seconds. I would do this a few times then switch to the other foot.

The other way that I found helped me was the yoga pose downward dog. I had started to do a 10 minute yoga video every morning to help with my back issues and within a few days I realized my feet didn't hurt as much too. It was the only pose from the video that gave a similar stretch from the other stretch on the stairs. I actually like the downward dog better but will do the stairs stretch when I haven't had time to do the yoga video for a while.

Hope this helps!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I started wearing Orthoheel shoes. Some looks okay and some look really goofy, but they work wonders. They are made especially for plantar fasciitis.

I woke up every morning, did my stretches before my feet even hit the ground, and then put on my Orthoheel sandals. The only time I didn't have them on was in the shower. After about two weeks of this, I had no pain what-so-ever.

Good luck, this really is no fun!
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had this pretty bad. As soon as I would step out of bed, I'd practically fall to the floor in pain. Then I would have to walk on my tip toes the first hour of the day.

My doctor had me do only 1 thing and it worked.... Before stepping on the ground, I would sot on the edge of my bed, and roll the arches of my feet out on a golf ball for a few minutes..

That first day I had relief and didn't experience the seizing up any more. A few months later, I no longer needed to roll them out, all better now thank goodness!
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    OP Please let us know what works for you! I have developed this problem since trying to get healthy.

I know I need to give up flats, but I'm a flats girl!

What sort of shoes does anyone with this problem recommend that are good for professional jobs? I can't wear tennis shoes or Keens (at least not any I could see). I work in an office environment. :|
  • qwicherbytchin
    Options
    I had it years ago. When I finally went to the doctor, it was so bad I had to have surgery. The plantar fascia was so shredded, the doctor said it looked like celery. Afterwards, I had to get an arch support. They feel funny at first, but you get used to them. Now, years later, I no longer wear the support.
  • Silverias408
    Silverias408 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I only havens in one foot(and losing weight is definitely helping it) but my aunt who is a nurse recommended I get a brace to keep on my ankle while I sleep. It helps a lot, especially with the pain in he morning. In the brace/foot health aisle some major stores (Walmart/Meijer) depending on your area have them and they say plantar fasciitis in the box.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,462 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and it makes it difficult to certain kinds of exercises. I want to do a variety of things but my feet just hurt too badly. Just recently, I was in a body combat class at 24 Hour Fitness and my feet hurt so badly, I wanted to cry. Any sort of pressure such as jumping, standing on one leg, marching, etc. causes me pain. I modify the exercises as much as possible but I'm sick of not having a real solution. My doctor just sent me a list of foot stretches which is nice but I'm not sure it is enough.

I have nice comfy shoes but ditched the arch supports because they felt funny and didn't seem to help. Anybody have this issue and what did you do?

My mother had it and it was very bad sometimes. I took a plastic bottle and put water in it and froze it. Then I would put it under the arch, and have her roll her foot back to front from toes to heel for about twenty mins. Its like a mini stretch of the foot, with cooling relief. Afterwords I would give her a foot massage. Seemed to work well.