I'm Skinny Fat

Options
Hello everyone,
I'm feeling very lost about my life. I'm 19 years old girl . My current weight is 105 ibs (BMI:20). A normal person reading this would tell me that I'm thin. You're wrong.
Yesterday I found that I have 30% of body fat and 22% of lean mass: I'M SKINNY FAT!
I'm ashamed of these results and I don't know what to do or how much should I eat. I've suffered from anorexia due to a weight loss in 2011 (BMI:24) and as I told you I'm feeling very lost because I can't lose weight. How will I burn this fat and gain muscle at the same time? Is it impossible, right?
I've started doing strength training and some cardio at the gym (3 times a week) but going on a diet It's like going back to the old me. Has anyone here been "skinny fat"?
I hope you guys can help me!

Thank you

xoxo

B

Replies

• 57chantalthi
    Options
    since you do not need to lose weight concentrate on strenght training or any exercises that focus on your muscles, pilates, yoga, weight lifting etc
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I'm feeling very lost about my life. I'm 19 years old girl . My current weight is 105 ibs (BMI:20). A normal person reading this would tell me that I'm thin. You're wrong.
    Yesterday I found that I have 30% of body fat and 22% of lean mass: I'M SKINNY FAT!
    I'm ashamed of these results and I don't know what to do or how much should I eat. I've suffered from anorexia due to a weight loss in 2011 (BMI:24) and as I told you I'm feeling very lost because I can't lose weight. How will I burn this fat and gain muscle at the same time? Is it impossible, right?
    I've started doing strength training and some cardio at the gym (3 times a week) but going on a diet It's like going back to the old me. Has anyone here been "skinny fat"?
    I hope you guys can help me!

Thank you

xoxo

B

Your bodyfat percentage plus your lean mass should add up to 100%. Something is wrong here, it doesn't make any sense that your lean mass is 22% and your bodyfat percentage is 30%.

That aside if you are coming from anorexia I feel rather unqualified to advise you on how to approach this. Normally I would say that your goal should be muscle building which would require you to eat at or above maintenance and lift heavy.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been "skinny fat" too.

Here's what worked for me to lose body fat percentage but not lbs:

Heavy lifting. Like, the kind of weights where the bar is longer than I am tall. Heck, I had to start with just benching the bar because I was too weak to even put weights on it at first. I bought a bench, bars, and weight plates second hand for really cheap, and I lift in my garage.

Strength training in general. Things like push-ups and planks.

I do cardio. Lots of people have very strong opinions on cardio, but I am a runner (for many reasons, not just fitness), and it has definitely made a difference in my body. Cellulite reduction, less jiggle in my thighs and belly, and I feel like I've got a more leaned out, carved figure (I'm not "jacked" or "ripped" or anything, but I definitely look athletic, more like a dancer or gymnast though.)

Make sure you eat back your exercise calories. You are not on a diet, remember that. You want those muscles and to firm up? Don't be at a deficit at the end of the day. Your body needs those calories. Eat at maintenance at least.

Also, it's a slow process. Really slow. But my stomach is flatter, tighter, my waist is smaller, and my thighs and butt (my problem areas) are looking way better these days (way less cellulite!)
  • blairjourney
    Options
    The scale gave me those results
    http://opbutterfly.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/omron-scale.jpg

30% of body fat is unhealthy that why I don't know what to do because I need to build muscle also :/
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'd check with your doctor, dietician or personal trainer, but it sounds like all you need to do is muscle-building exercise to gain muscle. What lockeddoor recommends sounds good for building muscle.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Those scales are notoriously inaccurate. To get a proper reading on your body fat you would need to go through a DEXA scan or similar.

There are a number of other ways to calculate your body fat percentage, but if you come from a disordered eating background I'm not sure it's wise to replace an obsession over weight with an obsession over body fat percentage. Are you working with a medical professional, nutritionist, mental health professional, or personal fitness trainer regarding your goals?
  • blairjourney
    Options
    A person trainer gave me a training plan and analyzed my body with this scale but It was just one session! The others are too expensive, I'm training by myself in a gym but of couse that they have gym service but It's not the same thing as a PT :P
    Those scales are notoriously inaccurate. To get a proper reading on your body fat you would need to go through a DEXA scan or similar.

There are a number of other ways to calculate your body fat percentage, but if you come from a disordered eating background I'm not sure it's wise to replace an obsession over weight with an obsession over body fat percentage. Are you working with a medical professional, nutritionist, mental health professional, or personal fitness trainer regarding your goals?
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm skinny fat too. i'm 5'3 down to 118lbs, but my measurements are 31, 25, 38. my body fat is 25-30% I'm so pear shaped and can't get my lower half to tighten or tone. I've been running 2-3 days a week. I've done 2 full rounds of insanity and now i'm working on the 30 day shred. I finally hit my goal weight after several years of yo-yo dieting and plateaus. you definitely don't need to lose more weight. I'd stick with the weights at the gym. See if there is a trainer their that can give you some pointers and steer you in the right direction. Good luck. hopefully it won't be long before we are both skinny for real. :-)