what's your favorite high-protein low-calorie breakfast?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I need to eat 600-700 calories to keep me full until lunch (5 hours). It sucks. Ideally, a mix of protein, complex carbs, and fiber... So protein pancakes with fruit and some bacon or sausage, or eggs and bacon and some toast or waffle... A huge egg white omelet with some veggies and cheese will work if I have some waffle or toast on the side too. Today I had some Greek yogurt with some almond/cranberry 'cereal' and some oatmeal with PB (made with milk) and it seems to have done the trick too... that was around 500 calories, 35g of protein.

Bottom line, I need the carbs too. But I think we're all different... I see what some people are full on and I can't help shaking my head LOL.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelette (1 cup of egg whites) with mushrooms, onions, spinach and cheese. I might have a slice of whole wheat toast and jelly with it. This breakfast holds me for at least 4 hours.

I made an omelette like that last night, but two real eggs and two portions of egg whites. 1 cup of spinach, 75g(when raw) mushrooms, diced onion, shredded cabot 50% reduced sharp cheddar. I felt stuffed for hours, enough so that I didn't even have my usual nightly chocolate, heh, (well I also had 4 slices of center cut bacon with it, a treat!)
  • trsttg
    trsttg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for all the responses!
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds odd but i love grilled chicken breast with sautéed spinach and a sprinkle of cheddar on top. It's delis and lasts several hours.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Half cup of egg whites mixed with one regular egg into an omelet, and a slice of skim cheese folded in, placed inside a whole wheat english muffin and served with a glass of low sodium v8 :) Fills me every time!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love 1/2 cup each of:
    cottage cheese (4% of course)
    fiber one
    blueberries

High in protein, high in fiber. Keeps me full for hours and around 250 calories. And yummy! Seriously, my kids beg for bites.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I love 1/2 cup each of:
    cottage cheese (4% of course)
    fiber one
    blueberries

High in protein, high in fiber. Keeps me full for hours and around 250 calories. And yummy! Seriously, my kids beg for bites.
    Yum!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salads for breakfast with my protein:

Marinated Vegetable Salad
    Place the following in a mixing bowl:
    Collard ribbons from one bunch of collards (Or else--my fav--One head of thinly sliced cabbage)
    2 red and 1 yellow bell peppers, julienned
    1 carrot julienned ( or optional 1 sweet potato--full of minerals and crunchy like a carrot!)
    (You could also substitute the above veggies with zucchini, yellow summer squash, beets made into angel hair noodles using a spiralizer, broccoli florets, etc)
    3 big dried figs, soaked and sliced thinly (or 3-4 dates)
    Bunch of cilantro chopped (¼ stems removed)
    ¼ Vidalia (or sweet yellow onion), sliced
    1 TBS or more minced raw ginger root
    1 tsp or more minced jalapeno
    1 TBS minced garlic
    ¼ C or more fresh lemon juice
    ¼ C or more soy sauce ( I prefer low sodium)
    ¼ C olive oil (this is optional, I often leave it out)
    Unrefined salt to taste (¼-½ tsp)

Marinate over night, or do what I do…..dig in! My family hardly lets me finish making this salad, and they gobble it up until I almost have none to marinate overnight and eat with breakfast boo!
    This salad keep for days and days....and tastes better everyday...so make a big batch! I love the juices that result from the salad and want to drink it!
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    tofu veggie scramble with light cheese:)
  • hyperchase
    hyperchase Posts: 13
    Options
    Buy a container of Whey Protein Isolate and Unsweetened Almond Milk, mix it up and have a protein shake in the morning. I drink one cup of it and it's 135 calories, 27g of protein, 0 fat, 0 sugar and it tastes fantastic.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Buy a Stonewave Cooker

stone-wave-cooker-is-perfect-for-helathy-meals.png

Really anything you can think of to put inside and cook is doable. You can make your favorite omlette in about 60 seconds. Just add your ingredients. It comes with a decent recipe book. So you can mix eggs and whatever else you like inside.

2 eggs
    real bacon pieces
    any veggies you like
    (spices you like)
    Add 2 slices of 35 cal toast or 1 light english muffin for 100 cals and the total of your meal will probably be less than you are consuming now at around 275-300 calories.

If you need more calories and protein just add more eggs and other sources such as sliced turkey breast or ham. Sometimes I make an egg mcmuffin and add sliced turkey or ham to it and its delicious. It changes things up a bit as far as the flavor and adds a trivial amount of fat and more protein.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love freshly ground almond butter or peasnut butter on low-fat Wasa crackers.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Throw a scoop of protein powder into your ff greek yogurt. YUMM!
  • elektrolization
    Options
    I HATE eggs. In any form except baked into delicious cakes. Lol. Here are my favorite breakfasts:

-Cottage cheese and tomato slices on multi grain toast (silver hills bakery little big bread being my favorite bread)

-flat out multi grain tortilla, a quick swipe of natural peanut butter and fill with blueberries and sliced strawberries. *mouth watering*

-scooped out multi grain bagel with peanut butter and fresh blueberries or strawberries. Scooping brings down the cals & carbs while giving you the perfect ridge to fill with fruit so it doesn't fall out.

-fried turkey bacon and bell pepper slices. Serve fruit or yogurt or cottage cheese on the side.

Well, now I'm starving :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'd ditch the muffin altogether: too many calories and too little protein.

I usually have:
    1 Chicken sausage 100-130cals/12 grams of protein
    1 egg 70 cals/7 grams of protein
    1/2 cup of greek yogurt 75 cals/11 gram of protein

That alone is about 275 cals/30 grams of protein. You can add a full serving of frozen blueberries to the yogurt (which is a full cup I believe) for another 70 cals. You're looking at around 350 cals and MUCH more filling than a muffin.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    im all for bacon and eggs in the morning or even better canadian bacon and an egg with cheese on a crosciant or english muffin and im good for several hours that doesnt keep you full by a bag of trail mix (bleh) and portion some out by weight into serving sizes (i swear i eat trail mix for the dried fruit only and force myself to eat the rest)
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salads for breakfast with my protein:

Marinated Vegetable Salad
    Place the following in a mixing bowl:
    Collard ribbons from one bunch of collards (Or else--my fav--One head of thinly sliced cabbage)
    2 red and 1 yellow bell peppers, julienned
    1 carrot julienned ( or optional 1 sweet potato--full of minerals and crunchy like a carrot!)
    (You could also substitute the above veggies with zucchini, yellow summer squash, beets made into angel hair noodles using a spiralizer, broccoli florets, etc)
    3 big dried figs, soaked and sliced thinly (or 3-4 dates)
    Bunch of cilantro chopped (¼ stems removed)
    ¼ Vidalia (or sweet yellow onion), sliced
    1 TBS or more minced raw ginger root
    1 tsp or more minced jalapeno
    1 TBS minced garlic
    ¼ C or more fresh lemon juice
    ¼ C or more soy sauce ( I prefer low sodium)
    ¼ C olive oil (this is optional, I often leave it out)
    Unrefined salt to taste (¼-½ tsp)

Marinate over night, or do what I do…..dig in! My family hardly lets me finish making this salad, and they gobble it up until I almost have none to marinate overnight and eat with breakfast boo!
    This salad keep for days and days....and tastes better everyday...so make a big batch! I love the juices that result from the salad and want to drink it!

This sounds like something I would really like! Thanks. Don't know if I'll eat it for bfast though...
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    3 oz. of Jenny-O Lean Turkey Sausage has 165 calories and 21 grams of protein! It's one of my favorites! Pair it with some fruit, an omelet with veggies, or some whole wheat toast or oats.