Does gaining muscle mean you go up in clothes sizes?

Options
I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question but.....
I have started doing squats, etc on non consecutive days of the week, combined with cardio about as often. I'm currently a size 12, my muscles aren't going to get huge obviously because i'm not training all the time, so I assume this means i'll be gaining muscle and losing fat as i know you can't just turn fat into muscle. Does this mean i will start going up or down in clothes sizing?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends. How much muscle we talkin?

Most likely the answer is NO
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depends. How much muscle we talkin?

Most likely the answer is NO

Right. And if you're in a deficit you're only going to get smaller.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question but.....
    I have started doing squats, etc on non consecutive days of the week, combined with cardio about as often. I'm currently a size 12, my muscles aren't going to get huge obviously because i'm not training all the time, so I assume this means i'll be gaining muscle and losing fat as i know you can't just turn fat into muscle. Does this mean i will start going up or down in clothes sizing?

You might be losing fat, but with minimal training/no eating at a surplus, you're not gaining muscle. You're most likely retaining lean body mass.

If all your Ts are crossed and Is are dotted when it comes to training and diet, you'll most likely go down in clothing size even though the scale might not change as quickly. There maaaay be periods of time where your clothes fit a bit snug (from water retention from starting a new lifting program), but in general, your clothing size won't go up. Unless you're eating too much.
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For six months I worked out constantly and even though I only lost 10 lbs I lost 15" off of my frame. I wear a smaller size and am much more defined because I gained muscle and lost fat and muscle takes up much less space than fat. Providing you are not actively trying to put on large amounts of muscle or eating too many calories you will go down in clothing sizes.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle at a deficit will make you lean, therefore you will go down on sizes. If you train hard and eat at a surplus then you will go up.

I have lost about 30 lbs with lifting weights (moderate, nothing heavy) and I went from a size 8 to a size 2. Now, since I've lost the weight I've been working in gaining some muscle, so I increased my calories a bit and have increased protein/carb intake and I have gotten bigger. My back is wider and therefore some of my x-small tops are getting thight under my arms, which I don't mind. So it all depends on what you are working for, if you are afraid of bulking don't worry about it unless you are eating too many calories and lifting for that purpose.

Good luck :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Over the last year, I've intentionally gained 25 pounds. With the exception of a couple tops that were already a little tight in the shoulders, I can still wear all the same clothes. For dress pants, I've chosen to go up a size to allow the booty a little bit more space, but I have to get the waist taken in.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 7% body fat in the last 7 months and have only lost 3-4 pounds in the process, so I guess technically I was eating at a deficit because I never went through a bulk and cut, just a small deficit on my recovery days. I recomped, gaining muscle, which people say you can't do, but whatever. :wink:

During this process, I've lost a clothing size. I am 5'5" 170ish and I wear a size 8 or 10 (usually medium bottoms and large tops). This is the same size range I previously wore at 145, so I would say based on my experience, you just become denser and more compact when you lift a lot unless you were previously small and are just adding muscle and not losing fat.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    In for later
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If at a deficit? no

if you are bulking- then possibly.

I put on almost 15 pounds in 5 months- on purpose. That's almost 2 dress sizes- there was no question I could absolutely not fit into my previously purchased "small" gear. None of my jeans fit.

I put my motorcycle pants on today- and realized it was the first time all summer that they were actually comfortable again (This week marks my official pre-bulk weight.)

If you're actually bulking- you're going to put on some size- it's just a matter of how much- and how much are you willing to deal with- you kind of learn to live in stretchy pants and dresses and sleeveless shirts or sweaters with give.