Low carb breakfast ideas?

Options
I'm looking for low carb, Paleo-ish breakfast ideas.

Low carb because - it's a bit of an experiment to see if it curbs my sugar cravings. I eat few carbs to start with...just with breakfast and maybe a potato/some rice with dinner.

Paleo-ish because - It's easier to find cheese and eggs than "almond meal". :huh: we don't have a huge ingredient selection...so maybe not paleo recipes but ingredients that are...basic or "real" as some people call them.

I'm used to eating oats/muesli/toast for breakfast. But I don't want to eat bacon and eggs everyday either.

Replies

• Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    Bump
  • marieelaine20022000
    marieelaine20022000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive been mixing some cream cheese in with a vegetable omelette to vary the flavours :)
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    eggs with avocado and cheese on top
    egg and sausage patty with cheese as a "bun"
    protein shake? a low-carb one of course.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Every morning I saute sliced mushrooms and fresh baby spinach in butter, add 2 eggs and scramble until cooked through, then add 1oz shredded mozzarella until melted. 3g net carbs (4g total carbs).
  • Leana93412
    Options
    :laugh: Now you are all going the egg and cheese route? It was just an example...

Other ingredients are welcome you know! :wink:

Though I suppose I did limit my ingredients kind of severely now...
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Dlife.com under food and fitness. You can enter what meal and no, low, safe carbs.
  • bikiniready201
    Options
    Protein shake made with water and blueberries. Keeps me full til at least 10am.
    Other suggestion is 'protein pancakes' google it, they are pretty good :)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I eat crustless quiche made with eggs, cream, Swiss cheese, bacon, and onion, every day. Make it once a week, refrigerate, and reheat in the microwave or take with me if I will be away from home at brunch time (10-noon)--just as good cold as warm. A 1/6 serving of my recipe is about 425 calories and 3 gm of carbs, and keeps me going until dinner at 5:30 p.m.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Grab some recipes off one of the free south beach diet websites. South Beach diet is NOT low carb, but the (optional) first two weeks are designed to recalibrate folks with sugar/sweet/carb cravings. They have some yummy healthy breakfast ideas.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Eggs & chicken omelet.
    Any type of meat actually.
    Salmon, spinach, and cheese omelet too!

I love omelets. :D

To be honest, I eat anything and everything for breakfast... what defines breakfast other than "breaking the fast" of sleep? Have steak for breakfast and see how that affects you. lol If you're on the go, how about a steak and cheese wrapped in a low carb tortilla? I can go on....
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Veggie-cheese egg white omelets most days: sauté mushrooms and red bell peppers with some salt and black pepper, adding fresh spinach at the last moment--add this to three egg whites and then top it all with reduced fat cheese. Truly wonderful, add other veggies, if desired.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've heard of some people doing a sort of low carb "cereal" - I used to do 1/4th cup unsweetened shredded coconut + 1/4th cup crushed walnuts or pecans with a spoonful of splenda.

Here's another recipe I haven't tried but looks interesting: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/03/paleo-coconut-cacao-nib-granola-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Crustless quiche --the night before add the ingredients , bake, and eat during the week.
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thick cut back bacon, and eggs, all fried in olive oil!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Greek nonfat yogurt (plain) with blueberries or strawberries (or both!) , sprinkle of walnut halves, tablespoon of ground flax seed, and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey!

It is delish! It's a great alternative to oatmeal or cereal and can add in any fruit or nuts you wish! Fresh, clean parfait! Yum!

I usually eat this on days I don't want eggs. It is packed with protein and Omega 3's from the ground flax seeds and has fiber as well. It keeps you pretty full.

Omelets of any sort are good too but it sounds like you heard enough about that!

I'm also obsessed with Larabars! They are grain and gluten free. Sometimes I will just grab that and a banana for breakfast and it will hit the spot!

If you go the breakfast smoothie route, I would recommend adding nonfat greek yogurt to whatever shake you are having. At least for me, those fruit smoothies don't keep me full by themselves for too long. The greek yogurt adds protein, if you are not into the protein powder ( which I am not).

:flowerforyou:
  • Leana93412
    Options
    Thanks! So looks like it's either yogurt and fruit or eggs and meat :bigsmile:

What a choice. Lol.

It's fine though. I've still got some wiggle room, I might sneak in some oats once a week or so ;)

This is really new to me. Also the fact that I've added more fat. No more low fat or fat free dairy. Everything is full fat. And I've started cooking with butter.

I really need to work out my calories wisely now.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Green Smoothie ( cuccumber juice, celery juice, avocado, kale, spinach) and a side of almonds.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    4 egg whites (17 calories each)
    2 oz sausage (140 to 200 calories depending on low fat or regular)
    2 pieces reduced fat provolone (100 calories)
    veggies to suit (ummm - maybe 15 calories)
    seasonings to suit (zero calories)
    ===================================
    323 to 383 calories for 2 servings

Substitute bacon for sausage if you want...mmmm...bacon :wink:
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try this muffin. I am doing Adkins now and missing my bread. This is the cure!!!! I make them sweet (like the recipe) or savory wiht herbs and cheese. Good luck!!!!!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1397771
  • Leana93412
    Options
    Substitute bacon for sausage if you want...mmmm...bacon :wink:

I agree!!!